SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-06-2012, 09:06 PM   #1
budward
budward is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2
Default AC Help

When I bought my 96 SL2, the previous owner told me he put 2 cans of super seal in the A/C because of leaks. Obviously the A/C has never worked since I owned it. Is there anywhere I can find a diagram and name for every AC part? I would like to replace the whole she-bang since I plan on driving this car forever and my allergies get me down every spring and summer.

thanks...Bud

1996 SL2 bought with 148k
new motor @ 220k
now at 310k

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to budward's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help budward reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
budward is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-06-2012, 10:16 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant future

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: AC Help

Well, not everything needs to be replaced. Hoses and evaporator coil can stay if you disassemble everything for flushing. Try nalleygm.com or other GM parts sites online for their exploded diagrams. You may be able to scrounge some used parts from the junk yard and/or ebay with some careful searching.

I know how you fell about allergies.

*The CPS is the heart of the entire EFI system. No cps = dead EFI system*
*There's more to a/c than just a few cans of refrigerant*
*There's more to brakes than just replacing parts*

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 11:44 PM   #3
td1238
Master Member
td1238 will become famous soon enoughtd1238 will become famous soon enough

1999 SL2

A common point of failure is the Shrader valves. These are about $2-$4 each, and are easy to replace. If done quickly, the system doesn't really need an evac.

Another common failure with age and corrosion is the condenser. This is fragile and is under pressure.

Of course anything can fail in the system.

Find the leak and replace the part, not the whole system.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to td1238's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help td1238 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
td1238 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 12:14 AM   #4
fdryer
fdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant future

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Have you ever seen what leak sealer does to a system from the uninformed attempting to repair a leak?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-07-2012, 12:00 PM   #5
jsnead
jsnead is on a distinguished road

2002 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
Have you ever seen what leak sealer does to a system from the uninformed attempting to repair a leak?
Like doing damage to entire systems that their supposed to "help"? I've seen twice full cooling systems damaged from something similar because of a leak. The damage done to the A/C system is major and the refrigerant is most likely contaminated. Now A/C parts are $$$$$, have you tried diagnosing the system at all?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jsnead's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jsnead reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jsnead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 12:35 PM   #6
budward
budward is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2

No, I figured everything was toast with 2 cans of super seal in it.

1996 SL2 bought with 148k
new motor @ 220k
now at 310k

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to budward's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help budward reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
budward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 12:50 PM   #7
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Depending on how sealer works would determine how much damage is caused by whatever is circulating. Pulling the suction and discharge hose may reveal what the system looks like. Normally, only R134a and PAG oil circulates. When a leak occurs, most if not all the refrigerant leaks out along with some oil. Since R134a is a gas and colorless, oil circulating through the system will absorb the color of metal wear - from light honey color to dark gray/black for extreme wear in the compressor. Dye would be greenish yellow. Sealer will either be solidified within the system or embedded in the compressor. There's a great picture from one of the mobile a/c sites that shows what occurs when sealer is incorrectly used and how it damages the compressor as well as seals off one hose.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!