SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-06-2012, 10:03 PM   #1
dlacacres
dlacacres is a jewel in the roughdlacacres is a jewel in the roughdlacacres is a jewel in the roughdlacacres is a jewel in the rough

Default Rotational Squeak

I have a very frustrating problem that is reoccuring now that the weather is getting warmer. This never happens cold, only in warm ambients of around 60F and above. It also only occurs after about 15-20 miles of driving. The vehicle will start a rotational squeak which is light in sound, not metallic. It doesn't change pitch during cornering, nor does it go away on braking. Brakes are good, rotors are fine, CV boots look wonderful. I am an experienced technician and I know what a bad hub bearing sounds like and what a failing CV joint sounds like. The interface between rotor and hub; hub face and wheel; and wheel cover and wheel have all had a light coat of lubricant applied to eliminate those as source items. This one has me stumped. I am fond of saying "If I can't find it now, it will be easy to find when the sound gets worse". Well...this is now the third year this has been happening, and it doesn't get any worse - it just gets on my nerves more.

The vehicle is a 2000 SW2, auto, 160K miles. Any suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dlacacres's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dlacacres reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dlacacres is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-07-2012, 05:41 AM   #2
stevestar99
stevestar99 will become famous soon enoughstevestar99 will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Rotational Squeak

Have you figured out whether it's coming from the front or back? .....

Here's one for you out of left field.. On my 95', I thought I had a bad rear wheel bearing.. On the hwy, you could hear the telltale sound of thump, thump, thump coming from the rear of the car.. The thumping was proportionate to vehicle's speed.. No doubt about it, "Bad Wheel Bearing" at least that's what I thought.. Once I got the car up on the jacks to see which side.. I couldn't find it.. I spun up both sides and it wouldn't do it.. But as I did have one side spun as fast as I could get it to go, I noticed that there was something funky about the tire.. It had a flat spot.. These were 80K Michelins.. There was still a whole lot of tread left.. I bought some el-cheap-o tires and no more thumping..

Last edited by stevestar99; 05-07-2012 at 05:47 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to stevestar99's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help stevestar99 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
stevestar99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 06:04 AM   #3
stevestar99
stevestar99 will become famous soon enoughstevestar99 will become famous soon enough

My guess would be, (1) slightly warped rotor or drum.. (2) Gummed up pad retaining pins

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to stevestar99's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help stevestar99 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
stevestar99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 06:42 AM   #4
dlacacres
dlacacres is a jewel in the roughdlacacres is a jewel in the roughdlacacres is a jewel in the roughdlacacres is a jewel in the rough

It appears to be coming from the front, but it's really hard to tell. I've ruled out the rotor/drum - there is no change to the noise during a braking event. I have thought about tires, because I have seen them do some really weird things. I've got 15 inch tires, and my other Saturns have 14's. I may swap them out to try that. Next time it happens, I'll be removing the wheel covers to eliminate that item. I'm hoping to find someone who has had this issue and resolved it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help dlacacres reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-07-2012, 08:42 PM   #5
OldNuc
OldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant future

1998 SC2

Crawl under the car with a can of spray oil, not silicone or WD-40, and squirt the right hand transmission seal up under the dust cover on the intermediate shaft and the right axle seal at the other end of the intermediate shaft. If you can not find spray oil a squirt of ATF will do for a test. The inner CV axle seal at the intermediate shaft can make noises like that.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 04:36 PM   #6
dlacacres

Thanks. That's what I was looking for. Would Fogging Oil work? Also, is this a short term solution, or will it stop the noise longer term - say, like until next spring?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-08-2012, 05:05 PM   #7
OldNuc
OldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant future

1998 SC2

Try fogging oil and see what happens. The one that usually causes the problem is the inner CV seal at the intermediate shaft. A squirt of oil fixes it for a long time but the real fix takes a bit more doing as you need to pull the inner CV out of the intermediate shaft to get at the inside of the seal.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-09-2012, 08:52 AM   #8
manualman
manualman is on a distinguished road

1995 SL

I was thinking it could be the intermediate shaft bearing itself. Not the one at the tranny, but where the axle CV connects to the intermediate shaft. Mine squeeked like that and injecting some oil into holes on the bearing dust cover seems to have fixed it for 5k miles or so so far.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to manualman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help manualman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
manualman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 09:31 AM   #9
OldNuc

1998 SC2

That bearing does not squeak, it sounds just like a bad wheel bearing.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-09-2012, 02:05 PM   #10
manualman

1995 SL

Yes, I phrased it badly. I don't mean that a little oil will fix a bad bearing.

In my case, the squeek was certainly coming from that area and other posters noted a TSB about the seal drying out and making a squeak. Heck I could swear you posted on that one even. IIRC the oil fixes the squeeky seal, not the bearing itself.

It worked, anyways...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help manualman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-09-2012, 02:28 PM   #11
manualman

1995 SL

Here's the thread that helped me banish the squeak.

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...t=squeak+seal#

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-09-2012, 06:28 PM   #12
OldNuc

1998 SC2

The final fix is to pull the axle, carefully clean the seal lips and lube with a good synthetic grease. While the axle is out fl the area behind the seal with a synthetic gear oil. Bearing will last and seal will not squeak at you.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-11-2012, 06:41 PM   #13
dlacacres

I sprayed oil into the seal on both sides of the intermediate shaft support. So far...so good. It was a nice, warm day here in Michigan and I put about 60 miles on without that bothersome squeaking. Thanks!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-11-2012, 09:18 PM   #14
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Remember the final fix above...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!