SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-06-2012, 08:38 PM   #1
good ol diy'er
good ol diy'er is on a distinguished road

Default fuel problem

car starts and idles fine but after engine builds heat if you rev the motor to about 3000 to 3500 rpm it sounds like it's choking out and not getting enough gas. Not sure if it is the filter stopped up,weak fuel pump,or fuel pressure regulator. But i am going to check fuel pressure just wondering what should the pressure be?

Thanks for all the help so far

Tim

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to good ol diy'er's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help good ol diy'er reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
good ol diy'er is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-06-2012, 08:50 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant future

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: fuel problem

Year, make, model, mileage? Just a guess but if this car has high mileage and a clogged catalytic converter, pull the front O2 sensor off for a LOUD drive.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 08:35 PM   #3
good ol diy'er
good ol diy'er is on a distinguished road

it is a 2000 sl2 with about 119000 miles but i will try it without o2 sensor

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to good ol diy'er's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help good ol diy'er reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
good ol diy'er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 09:41 PM   #4
madpogue
madpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to behold

1996 SW2

If it's on the original fuel filter/regulator, it's almost 20,000 miles overdue. Only the NAPA/Wix and OEM replacement units provide the proper fuel pressure.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 11:51 PM   #5
Spaghettiohead
Spaghettiohead is on a distinguished road

1999 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by madpogue View Post
If it's on the original fuel filter/regulator, it's almost 20,000 miles overdue. Only the NAPA/Wix and OEM replacement units provide the proper fuel pressure.
No joke?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Spaghettiohead's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Spaghettiohead reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Spaghettiohead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 12:00 AM   #6
adventureoflink
Master Member
adventureoflink has a spectacular aura aboutadventureoflink has a spectacular aura aboutadventureoflink has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaghettiohead View Post
No joke?
No joke. For bonus points, get a filter we don't recommend, but don't be surprised if you eventually pull SES codes P0171 and/or P0301-P0304 (especially P0303 since you have a DOHC) and those codes are traced back to burnt valves from lean fuel mixtures.

Not to mention the maintenance interval for the fuel filter on a 1998-2002 is every 100k miles.

97 SL2
DOB: 3/19/97
Date Obtained: 5/30/07

2004 Merc G.Marquis GS
DOB: 2/4/04
Date Obtained: 7/6/12

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to adventureoflink's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help adventureoflink reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
adventureoflink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 12:16 AM   #7
Spaghettiohead

1999 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by adventureoflink View Post
No joke. For bonus points, get a filter we don't recommend, but don't be surprised if you eventually pull SES codes P0171 and/or P0301-P0304 (especially P0303 since you have a DOHC) and those codes are traced back to burnt valves from lean fuel mixtures.

Not to mention the maintenance interval for the fuel filter on a 1998-2002 is every 100k miles.
Well hell, just replaced mine with an AutoZone part 800 miles ago...might as well replace that while I've got everything apart now anyway, if that's really the consensus here! I'm embarrassed to admit as well, that the filter I pulled off was original with 260K. Never realized it was a regulator as well. Oops.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Spaghettiohead reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-17-2012, 07:34 AM   #8
madpogue
madpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to behold

1996 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaghettiohead View Post
Well hell, just replaced mine with an AutoZone part 800 miles ago...might as well replace that while I've got everything apart now anyway, if that's really the consensus here! I'm embarrassed to admit as well, that the filter I pulled off was original with 260K. Never realized it was a regulator as well. Oops.
Regulator notwithstanding, I doubt there's any vehicle on the road for which a fuel filter, even a stand-alone, would last more than 100,000 or so miles, let alone 260,000. This is why every Saturn that left Spring Hill had a maintenance schedule in the glove box with the owner's manual (and for secondhand owners, they're abundantly available on eBay).

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 01:12 PM   #9
Spaghettiohead

1999 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by madpogue View Post
Regulator notwithstanding, I doubt there's any vehicle on the road for which a fuel filter, even a stand-alone, would last more than 100,000 or so miles, let alone 260,000. This is why every Saturn that left Spring Hill had a maintenance schedule in the glove box with the owner's manual (and for secondhand owners, they're abundantly available on eBay).
I readily admit to that neglect, but I've been on top of everything else, and she's run like honey for the decade I've owned her...I can live with such a one-time infraction LoL

REWARD EXCELLENCE!