SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Outlook > Outlook General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Advanced Forum Search | Advanced Photo Search

Old 05-01-2012, 02:14 PM   #1
Foxdog01
Foxdog01 is on a distinguished road

Default A/C Low Side Pressure Port for Recharge

Hello, I plan to recharge the A/C on my wifes 2008 Outlook. At a glance uder the hood I could not find the Low pressure port. I could not even see the compressor. Do I need to access this from below? Is it underneath, behind the front passenger side tire?

Any help in how to access the port so I can recharge her A/C. Thanks!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Foxdog01's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Foxdog01 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Foxdog01 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-01-2012, 06:25 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant future

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: A/C Low Side Pressure Port for Recharge

If no one here has the location, try http://www.saturnoutlookforum.net/index.php. Members there should be able to have the answer.

My L300 has its compressor below the engine but service ports are usually determined by hose routing. The low pressure hose and service port is easily identified when compared to the high pressure hose; Returning refrigerant to the compressor, suction side is usually a gas so the hose diameter is larger than the high pressure discharge hose that contains a gaseous/liquid mix on its way towards the condenser coils in front of the radiator. Hoses from the firewall for a/c will have fittings as opposed to heater hoses. Separate and identify the a/c hoses and the larger diameter hose should return to the compressor; this hose should have the low pressure fitting that will only accept fittings made to connect here. A black or blue plastic cap will cover the service port.

The high pressure port will either be tucked away near the front of the engine along the side as the high pressure discharge hose (smaller diameter) will eventually lead to the condenser coil. Between the compressor discharge port and condenser coil is the high pressure hose that will have a smaller service port for high pressure monitoring when using refrigeration gauges. This service port should have either a red or black plastic cap.

Most, if not all, a/c service ports will be accessible from the engine area without resorting to crawling underneath. Even if you uncover the wrong service port, any attempt to attach designated refill/recharge/quick couplers won't allow a connection; low side fittings are larger diameter than high side fittings. This difference is to prevent catastrophic mistakes from anyone not familiar with the potential hazards of high pressure hook-ups.

When done attempting to service any a/c system, be sure to cap these ports tightly as these caps protect the schrader valves and provide the seal needed to prevent refrigerant from leaking out.

*The CPS is the heart of the entire EFI system. No cps = dead EFI system*
*There's more to a/c than just a few cans of refrigerant*
*There's more to brakes than just replacing parts*

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 10:35 PM   #3
Foxdog01
Foxdog01 is on a distinguished road

Fdryer,
I appreciate your informative quick response. I learned a good deal from it. I am still however struggling to find the location of the low pressure port. On the forum of the link you supplied, I found some discussions about recharging A/C, but none disclosed the location. I have been searching under Traverse, Acadia and Enclave as well, I have not found it. Not sure why it's not obvious under the hood like most other cars out there, but I'm still looking. Of course in the Outlook, when the pressure is low, the A/C doesn't turn on at all. The light blinks at you a couple times and it never comes on.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Foxdog01's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Foxdog01 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Foxdog01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 12:15 AM   #4
fdryer
fdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant future

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Frankly I don't know why a (seemingly simple) question about a/c service ports can go unanswered. Perhaps a call to your local GM dealer may have someone give you the answer. Stopping by your local favorite repair shop? Posting some pictures here may help - one from each side of the engine.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-02-2012, 07:14 AM   #5
lsuduke
lsuduke is on a distinguished road

2006 VUE 3.5L
2010 Outlook XE

Based on what I have seen online , it should be located very low, nearly out of reach near the evaporator filter. I'd love to validate that, but the GM Service Manual doesn't call out component locations that well anymore and my wife has the vehicle. But there was a post on the Acadia forum in 07 that stated its location. If I can find a pic, I'll send it along good luck.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to lsuduke's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help lsuduke reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
lsuduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 07:27 AM   #6
lsuduke
lsuduke is on a distinguished road

2006 VUE 3.5L
2010 Outlook XE

Fdryer as far as how the question can go unanswered is these Outlook forums have nearly zero traffic, I come here for my Vue mostly, saturnoutlookforum.net has way more traffic as far as Outlooks go. The last new topic I saw here before this was oil pan replacement and it was up for a week. If a tree falls in the woods and nobody is there does it make a noise... If somebody posts and nobody sees it can you get an answer. Just my opinion.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to lsuduke's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help lsuduke reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
lsuduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 06:31 PM   #7
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Amazingly, the picture gallery has two pics for view and I edited them to show one of the service ports at the front of the engine near the oil fill port.

Remove the black plastic cap and see if this is the low or high side service port. I'm guessing this is the high side port and won't allow attaching refill fittings. The line appears to be smaller in diameter, indicating it as the high pressure side. If so then the low pressure port would be located by the firewall near the two a/c lines attached to the HVAC fittings on the firewall. The same black plastic cap may be found on a small (aluminum) canister on the larger diameter aluminum line. The size of the engine and large plastic cosmetic cover may obscure locating the low pressure port.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Outlook ac port.jpg (33.9 KB, 167 views)
File Type: jpg Outlook ac port 1.jpg (30.8 KB, 169 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-11-2012, 09:32 AM   #8
millzrm
millzrm is on a distinguished road

Did recharging help your issue of the light blinking? Ours is doing the same on +90 degree days but does eventually start blowing cold air. I dont hear any unfamilar sounds while the AC light is blinking so Im not sure if I just need a recharge or if something else is wrong like a leak..... I find it odd that we really only have an issue when its exceptionally hot out.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to millzrm's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help millzrm reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
millzrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 03:08 PM   #9
ErnestoMM
ErnestoMM is on a distinguished road

1991 Astra XE
1991 Astra XE
Default ^^^^^^^^^^^

Sorry, what you mean?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ErnestoMM's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ErnestoMM reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ErnestoMM is offline   Reply With Quote