SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Relay > Relay Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-16-2012, 10:47 AM   #1
bigblue72
bigblue72 is on a distinguished road

Default Loud thump over big bumps in 2005 Relay

Whenever I go over a large bump, I get a big thump that seems to be coming from the drivers side. It seems to be right under my feet but when I ride in the passenger seat it sounds like its coming from the drivers side rear. Had mechanic put up on lift and check everything out but he couldn't find the source of the thump. His theory is that something inside the gas tank ( Baffle of some kind) has come loose inside tank. I only had an 1/8 a tank of gas so he suggested I fill the tank full and see if the noise changed. The thump is still there with a full tank. I'm thinking it may be a rear shock, but he doesn't think so. Antone else run into this??

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bigblue72's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bigblue72 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bigblue72 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-16-2012, 11:37 AM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant future

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: Loud thump over big bumps in 2005 Relay

I'm not familiar with Relay's but if you have over 50k miles on yours, its most likely suspension wear and tear. Other than rusted out exhaust shields, maybe suspension bushings that are hidden like the ones for the lower control arm or sway bars. The strut bearings are well hidden and wear too. Some spray WD-40, silicone or whatever into any access hole to see if the noise goes away.

*The CPS is the heart of the entire EFI system. No cps = dead EFI system*
*There's more to a/c than just a few cans of refrigerant*
*There's more to brakes than just replacing parts*

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 02:02 PM   #3
bigblue72

Well I replaced the rear shocks and the problem is still there, loud thump when the left rear tire hits a sizable bump. There is no sound over smaller bumps. It almost sounds like the sound is middle of the body to the rear wheel.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help bigblue72 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-18-2012, 06:54 PM   #4
bigblue72

Well, I thought it may have been a weak spring so I put two large spring rubbers in to see if the sound went away or lessened, but its still there. I really need to find out what this sound is. I'm going on a long trip in July.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-18-2012, 07:25 PM   #5
fdryer
fdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant future

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Your rear suspension has bushings in the control arms as well as in the tie rods. Search online for GM parts and exploded diagrams to have a better idea of where rubber bushings are used. Perhaps a subscription to alldata will give you all the information you need to see drawings and any procedures. Well worth the price for service manual information without buying the hard copy.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-21-2012, 12:00 AM   #6
pokeecaptor823
pokeecaptor823 is on a distinguished road

Look at the heat shield above the fuel tank.
Mine got loose and was banging around. I just screwed it down.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pokeecaptor823's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pokeecaptor823 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
pokeecaptor823 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 05:42 PM   #7
bigblue72

How big is the heat shield and where is it located, on top of the tank?? I am aware of the shield for the filler hose that runs from the fuel cap down to the tank but no other ones. Can you provide a link that shows this part. Thanks for all your help. Thanks for your help too, fdryer. This whole thing is driving me nutz

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-21-2012, 06:26 PM   #8
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

I'm not sure of any heat shield needed over the tank but needed to shield heat given off from the exhaust system piping through under the Relay. Normal metal shielding made from aluminized(?) steel sheet metal will rust away after a few years in the Rust Belt by rattling when rivet attachment points break. These shields are used between the exhaust pipe and floor of the Relay (as well as most vehicles). Once you crawl under you'll see these shields - they're not painted with sound deadening material and remain shiny-like.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-15-2012, 05:58 PM   #9
bigblue72

Heat shield is fine. No way a little aluminum shield would make a loud thump like the one that is happening. Problem still exists. 3rd mechanic is stumped. 3 different shops, no solutions. Just guesses. starting to really piss me off. I'm driving to Minnesota , thump or no thump. Maybe something will fall off during trip, then there will be no doubt what it was,

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-27-2012, 04:49 PM   #10
05Saturnrelay
05Saturnrelay is on a distinguished road

My Saturn Relay does the same thing. I took the heat shield off, changed shocks, wrapped the brake lines, took the shocks off to no avail. Still haven't figured it out either.

It is very noticeable over the sealed cracks on highways and interstates, speed bumbs, potholes, etc. Going through dips or when the suspension actually goes through its full suspension cycle there is no noise.

It only occurs during the sudden or sharp jarring bumps or potholes, for instance auto gates/cattle guards and the ones mentioned above.

Yes, it is baffling and nerve racking indeed.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 05Saturnrelay's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 05Saturnrelay reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
05Saturnrelay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 06:32 PM   #11
bigblue72

Wow, its great to finally hear from someone having the same problem. I drove to St Paul MN and back twice during the summer. Both times with the van loaded with people and cargo with no problems. One leg even towing a totally loaded 6 x 12 uhaul trailer stuffed to the doors. The van performed awesome with some small struggles up some "widowmaker" hills. Loud thump still there, but it doesn't seem to be getting any worse.

05saturnrelay, have you ever had the springs checked? I think that would be the next step for me.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-13-2012, 12:00 AM   #12
AJR
AJR is on a distinguished road

It sounds very similar to a problem I had on my '02 L 200. It was difficult for them to find, but if I recall correctly, it ended up to be a bolt attaching the
engine cradle to the frame (sub frame?) that wouldn't pull up tight.

There was a little up and down play and it caused a horrible thump through the car on certain kinds of bumps and pot holes.

Andy

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to AJR's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help AJR reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
AJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 10:41 PM   #13
Nicktheviperman
Advanced Member
Nicktheviperman is on a distinguished road

2002 SL1

just don't hit big bumps can't be good and is ur tire pressure right?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Nicktheviperman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Nicktheviperman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Nicktheviperman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 10:26 PM   #14
swdave
swdave is on a distinguished road

Sway bar links are likely to blame. Common problem cheap to fix.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to swdave's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help swdave reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
swdave is offline   Reply With Quote