SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-14-2012, 08:56 PM   #1
Tom92SCm
Master Member
Tom92SCm has a spectacular aura aboutTom92SCm has a spectacular aura about

2004 VUE 2.2L
Default My "new" 2004 VUE

Well, I have a "new" 2004 VUE. I say "new" because it's the same VUE I bought back in 2004 with 33 miles on the odometer. The only difference is that now I'm the primary driver of it- instead of my wife. We just bought her a new 2012 Ford Escape V6 Limited AWD.

My SL2 will be sold and the money from that will go toward my Explorer (new gears and a custom front bumper and possibly rock sliders).

As for my VUE, I plan on painting the grey bumper trim stuff with bed liner, getting the Westin safari bar and doing a quieting treatment to the interior.

And just because all threads about new (or "new") should include pictures, here's a look back from the beginning to now.

Then I decided to paint the brakes red. I'm not sure why.

And then at some point I added a better HU in the dash and added a 12-disc changer (remember those things?!?!?) under the front passenger seat:

Took it on more than one road trip:

Installed a Valley 2" trailer hitch receiver- for my bike rack.

The Duellers finally wore out. Actually I bought a set of Michelin X-Ice tires on their own wheels but I decided to never put these loud and crappy tires back on:

Not a Saturn.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tom92SCm's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tom92SCm reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Tom92SCm is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-14-2012, 08:57 PM   #2
Tom92SCm
Master Member

2004 VUE 2.2L
Default Re: My "new" 2004 VUE

Here are the ASA wheels and Michelin X-Ice tires:

To replace the Duellers, I got some Yokohama Geolander H/T-S tires:

Then I loaded up a bunch of junk and yard waste and hauled it to the dump:

Got tired of the red brakes:

So this is how it sits today:

It's up to like 86,000 miles. All of which have been pretty trouble free.

Not a Saturn.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Tom92SCm reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-15-2012, 10:46 AM   #3
cdp326
Master Member
cdp326 is on a distinguished road

Congratulations on the new Escape.

Nice evolution of things things put on the base of the shifter.

"It's a car. We've invented the Pontiac Aztek."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cdp326's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cdp326 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cdp326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 09:20 PM   #4
sideup66
sideup66 is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 2.2L

Were you referring to the Duellers as the "loud and crappy" tires??? I think they run quite nice to be honest, then again from the junk i had on my last car, anything is a step up.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sideup66's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sideup66 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
sideup66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 09:45 PM   #5
Tom92SCm
Master Member

2004 VUE 2.2L

Yeah, the Duellers. They aren't referred to as "the Duellers of death" just 'cuz.

Mine were hard- which results in them being loud and also have poor wet and snow traction.

Plus I just didn't like them.

But I'm considering getting rid of my Yokohamas even though they have plenty of tread left. They are hard and starting to develop cracks along the sidewalls.

Not a Saturn.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-15-2012, 09:48 PM   #6
sideup66

2003 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom92SCm View Post
Yeah, the Duellers. They aren't referred to as "the Duellers of death" just 'cuz.

Mine were hard- which results in them being loud and also have poor wet and snow traction.

Plus I just didn't like them.

But I'm considering getting rid of my Yokohamas even though they have plenty of tread left. They are hard and starting to develop cracks along the sidewalls.
Mine are still quite beefy (when I bought mine they were brand new) and have plenty of tread. I never had that car slip in rain either which is quite impressive, only way they slipped is when I would mat it going around a turn. Even then, the car grips wonderfully with those tires. Maybe because mine are newer . I just havent had issues...

Our Santa Fe has BFG Long Trails on it that actually have worked well for that too.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help sideup66 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-18-2012, 07:58 AM   #7
BobbyP
Master Member
BobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really nice

2006 VUE Red Line
2007 SKY

Tom - Nice pics! The VUE got kicked out of the garage for an Escape...

I have always enjoyed the Escape's I have rented. My only complaint was the controls for the heated seats. They have no adjustments, just on/off. The heat with them on is very hot and you end up being the thermostat...

The Acadia had 3 heat levels... I used them this past weekend in Denver...

2006 Black VUE Red Line - Now running iOS 7 Beta 7

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BobbyP's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BobbyP reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BobbyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 10:00 AM   #8
Tom92SCm
Master Member

2004 VUE 2.2L

Yeah the on/off seat heaters are kind of lame. And they seem to get really HOT too. Maybe this winter when they are actually needed, they will feel much better. Even though it did snow here last weekend- I used it, but more just because it was a new toy.

But yeah, the VUE is an outside car now. It's OK, it can take it.

An update:
Last night I took measurements of the floor pan, doors, rear hatch and cargo area as the first effort towards a sound deadening project. I'm going to give Don a call at Sound Deadener Showdown an email and get some shipping quotes and a total price on everything.

I also flipped through the pages in the FSM about exterior trim removal for the trim painting project.

Not a Saturn.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-15-2012, 09:45 PM   #9
Tom92SCm
Master Member

2004 VUE 2.2L

Just filled up my best tank ever:

30.4 mpg!

I added a bottle of Techron to the tank that I used to achieve this. I didn't do any special or heroic, just drove to and from work and to the airport (45 minutes each way) with lots of cruise control and doing the speed limit (lots of 55-65 mph zones).

And to think, I bought an SL2 as an economical commuter for $1500 a year ago. Turns out I've had one all along, it's just that my wife was driving it and I had to buy her a $24,000 vehicle so I could drive the VUE....... (scratches head.....)

Not a Saturn.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-15-2012, 11:18 PM   #10
sideup66

2003 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Just filled up my best tank ever:

30.4 mpg!

I added a bottle of Techron to the tank that I used to achieve this. I didn't do any special or heroic, just drove to and from work and to the airport (45 minutes each way) with lots of cruise control and doing the speed limit (lots of 55-65 mph zones).

And to think, I bought an SL2 as an economical commuter for $1500 a year ago. Turns out I've had one all along, it's just that my wife was driving it and I had to buy her a $24,000 vehicle so I could drive the VUE....... (scratches head.....)
Hmm im wondering how yours got so high... I know I have the auto, in city/mixed I usually see an average of 18...little on the low end. Highway (mainly saw this driving to and from my college, lots of 55-60 mph zones) it sent the average to about 23 mpg. Also I have the awd which could be killing mine a bit, not to mention I doubt my plugs are in best of shape (does some odd stuff since I got it which lead me to think plugs could be a little tired).

Sounds like its serving you well, as for the sitting outside, shell be fine my Vue lives outside (dirty as can be right now) but once you give it a bath it looks brand new again .

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-17-2012, 06:39 PM   #11
SC2BuzzBomb
SC2BuzzBomb is on a distinguished road

1995 SC2

Surprised you bought her the outdated 2012 model when the 2013 all-new model with EcoBoost power is available shortly.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SC2BuzzBomb's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SC2BuzzBomb reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SC2BuzzBomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 09:33 PM   #12
RedGeminiPA
RedGeminiPA will become famous soon enough

2004 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC2BuzzBomb View Post
Surprised you bought her the outdated 2012 model when the 2013 all-new model with EcoBoost power is available shortly.
Probably because, as usual, Ford is offering HUGE incentives to unload them.

Avid Apple, car and vacuum enthusiast. Don't hate! ;)

Current:
'04 FWD 3.5L

Previous:
'05 AWD Red Line
'02 L200

http://www.facebook.com/SaturnFansNorthEast

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RedGeminiPA's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RedGeminiPA reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
RedGeminiPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 09:44 PM   #13
Tom92SCm
Master Member

2004 VUE 2.2L

What he said plus I wanted to get out of my P.O.S. S-series and I'm not a fan of getting the first year of an all new re-design. And while the Eco-boost is a cool engine, it comes at a premium.

Not a Saturn.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-17-2012, 09:51 PM   #14
BobbyP
Master Member
BobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really nice

2006 VUE Red Line
2007 SKY

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC2BuzzBomb View Post
This is not a fair comparison. The 2012 Escape is a very nice ride. The last 2 Escapes I drove had a quick V6, comfortable leather seats, quiet ride, and good soundnng stereo. My only complaint was the heated seats had only 2 settings; too hot and off.

The new Escape looks like a CRV clone with Focus mechanicals. I will reserve judgement until I drive one. Unfortunately it's gene pool does not inspire a lot of confidence.

2006 Black VUE Red Line - Now running iOS 7 Beta 7

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BobbyP's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BobbyP reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BobbyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 12:53 AM   #15
pdough
Advanced Member
pdough will become famous soon enough

2006 VUE 2.2L

Nice and clean! Give it a romp to 5,500 or so and clean it out while you have the fuel cleaner it it. Mine loves a romp every now and then; more often than that I guess...... and still looks as good as this one!

My father in law thought I had bought a new one after I really cleaned it up a while back. Still looks like new on the outside. Hope you enjoy driving your new beater as much as I have the past few years. Mine takes a beating from me for sure.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pdough's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pdough reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
pdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 01:07 AM   #16
pdough
Advanced Member
pdough will become famous soon enough

2006 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by sideup66 View Post
Mine are still quite beefy (when I bought mine they were brand new) and have plenty of tread. I never had that car slip in rain either which is quite impressive, only way they slipped is when I would mat it going around a turn. Even then, the car grips wonderfully with those tires. Maybe because mine are newer . I just havent had issues...

Our Santa Fe has BFG Long Trails on it that actually have worked well for that too.
I had two sets of Duellers on mine. After all the talk I still went out and bought another set after the originals wore out after 60+ thousand miles. Live in NJ so snow wasn't much of an issue... But I loved them for better or worse; they wore like no other and gripped pretty well except in hydroplaning... Have since had Kumhos and Goodyears. Neither has been that much better in my opinion... Again, no snow, but rain performance has been just about equal...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pdough's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pdough reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
pdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 01:53 PM   #17
Kyle51895
Kyle51895 is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 2.2L

Wow, I really like the silver! I helped my friend wash her silver Trailblazer a few weeks back and I couldn't believe how dirty the water coming off of it was. It definitely didn't show filth like my black does! I really need to look into some rims. Seeing yours makes me want them even more, since I have the absolute base model rims, which I really don't like at all. How much were yours total?

2003 Saturn Vue - 2.2L Ecotec - 5 speed Getrag Manual Transmission
Mods: 2006 VUE Redline Gauge Cluster, Red Climate Controls, Debong, 16" Drag DR-34 rims

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Kyle51895's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Kyle51895 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Kyle51895 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 04:37 PM   #18
XRL
Master Member
XRL will become famous soon enoughXRL will become famous soon enough

2004 VUE Red Line

Quote:
What he said plus I wanted to get out of my P.O.S. S-series and I'm not a fan of getting the first year of an all new re-design. And while the Eco-boost is a cool engine, it comes at a premium.
The Escape is a heck of a vehicle. Before we bought the Outlander, we were looking for loaded Mariners. The only reason we quit looking was because we found her Outlander with all the features we wanted, and the Mariner was a wee bit too small for us and the dog.

The old Escape had a bit of a tough look to it, the new Focus sadly looks like a supersized Focus. I'm sure it will be a great vehicle for people who want a practical, reliable, and fuel efficient CX-7, but the old Escape is a great package still.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to XRL's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help XRL reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
XRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 08:11 PM   #19
Tom92SCm
Master Member

2004 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle51895 View Post
I really need to look into some rims. Seeing yours makes me want them even more, since I have the absolute base model rims, which I really don't like at all. How much were yours total?
I want to say they were about $100 each. They are ASA wheels. And the reason I got them was because when I tried to order black steel wheels from Tire Rack to be used as my winter wheels, they were all out.

I don't remember the offset on the ASA wheels but I really like it. It pushes the wheel flush with the body.

Nice wheels really help set a car apart from the rest.

Not a Saturn.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-20-2012, 09:22 PM   #20
sideup66

2003 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdough View Post
I had two sets of Duellers on mine. After all the talk I still went out and bought another set after the originals wore out after 60+ thousand miles. Live in NJ so snow wasn't much of an issue... But I loved them for better or worse; they wore like no other and gripped pretty well except in hydroplaning... Have since had Kumhos and Goodyears. Neither has been that much better in my opinion... Again, no snow, but rain performance has been just about equal...
Mine doesnt seem to hydroplane much unless like i said you drive like a total buffon, but you are right, when it starts the go you get that feeling that things can turn ugly, very quick. I also actually live in nj as well, if you dont mind me asking, which part? Im more southern near Philadelphia. On dry I rarely if ever have traction issues. Snow when we get snow seems average in my opinion. No more no less. I cant complain overall, if only my stupid sway bar didnt snap I would be perfect .

REWARD EXCELLENCE!