SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > General Saturn Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-15-2012, 12:59 AM   #1
JeffTheJoc
JeffTheJoc is on a distinguished road

2002 VUE 3.0L
Default Do you think they will ever build Saturns again?

If the economy improves, do you think GM will ever bring Saturns back?
They really were a very popular vehicle.

Please visit Jeffery's Junction for Vintage Glass, Art Pottery, and LP Records:
www.jefferysjunction.ecrater.com

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to JeffTheJoc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help JeffTheJoc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
JeffTheJoc is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-15-2012, 01:32 AM   #2
sideup66
sideup66 is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 2.2L
Default Re: Do you think they will ever build Saturns again?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffTheJoc View Post
Id LOVE to see that. I <3 my Saturn . Bring back the plastic doors and im super happy, id love the day where i trade in my 03 vue and can buy a new redline .

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sideup66's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sideup66 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
sideup66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 10:13 AM   #3
ruley73
Master Member
ruley73 is a jewel in the roughruley73 is a jewel in the roughruley73 is a jewel in the rough

2007 ION-2 Quad Coupe

Quote:
No.

Oldsmobile gurus are hoping for the same too. I don't think that will ever happen either.

2007 Ion 2 Quad Coupe 5-speed manual 150K miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ruley73's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ruley73 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ruley73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 01:44 PM   #4
adventureoflink
Master Member
adventureoflink has a spectacular aura aboutadventureoflink has a spectacular aura aboutadventureoflink has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruley73 View Post
No.

Oldsmobile gurus are hoping for the same too. I don't think that will ever happen either.
And I'm pretty sure Saab, Geo, Pontiac, and Hummer (Mercury for Ford and Plymouth, Eagle, and AMC for Chrysler) gurus are hoping for the same as well. And no, those won't happen either.

In Saturn's defense, had they started business at the beginning of 2000 or 2001, I'm sure they'd kick ass today...

97 SL2
DOB: 3/19/97
Date Obtained: 5/30/07

2004 Merc G.Marquis GS
DOB: 2/4/04
Date Obtained: 7/6/12

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to adventureoflink's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help adventureoflink reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
adventureoflink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 03:22 PM   #5
DigitalSaturns
DigitalSaturns is on a distinguished road

Not going to happen, and Pontiac is done and over with never to return.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DigitalSaturns's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DigitalSaturns reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
DigitalSaturns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 05:00 PM   #6
txsaturn
txsaturn is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Yet they were never really profitable....

They were great, quirky cars but a cult following won't convince the bean counters to resurrect the brand. Plus, they'd never be able to re-establish the dealer network, which was one of few of the brand's defining traits.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to txsaturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help txsaturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
txsaturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 08:01 PM   #7
2NDSOUT
Master Member
2NDSOUT has a spectacular aura about2NDSOUT has a spectacular aura about2NDSOUT has a spectacular aura about

1994 SL2
1997 SW2

Sorry but this was discussed ad nauseum when Saturn was done in 2010.

The cars will never be built again. What is left on the road, we should enjoy while we have the time.

Bryan

94 SL2 225K Miles
97 SW2 255K Miles

Garaged
94 SL2 HCE, "Pearl"

Never Forget
94 SC1 340,501 Miles
Original Engine/Auto Trans
02/97-10/08
Gone 03/12

92 SL1
05 VUE
91 SC

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2NDSOUT's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2NDSOUT reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2NDSOUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 09:32 PM   #8
XRL
Master Member
XRL will become famous soon enoughXRL will become famous soon enough

2004 VUE Red Line

Saturn will never see the light of day again. They were never profitable and don't exactly have a lot of value in the name brand. To the vast majority of people, Saturn means cheap POS car, something along the lines of a Geo but with plastic panels (and very few actually understand the benefits of the plastic panels, they assume it was done to be cheaper).

Honestly, I think Hummer is the defunct brand with the best chances of being brought back to life, because they were hugely profitable and have a lot of brand cache. I would expect to see a Hummer reboot as a more fuel efficient version this time around, with a tagline along the lines of being a "no compromises" vehicle that can get great fuel economy (likely from a TDI powertrain), offroad prowess, durable yet high quality and luxurious interiors, and imposing and rugged exterior styling.

I would rate the chances of Hummer being revived as somewhere around the chances of the crab people invading the surface world however. In which case, a Hummer would make a fantastic vehicle for mowing down hordes of crab people.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to XRL's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help XRL reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
XRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 06:42 AM   #9
2NDSOUT
Master Member
2NDSOUT has a spectacular aura about2NDSOUT has a spectacular aura about2NDSOUT has a spectacular aura about

1994 SL2
1997 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRL View Post
Saturn will never see the light of day again. They were never profitable and don't exactly have a lot of value in the name brand. To the vast majority of people, Saturn means cheap POS car, something along the lines of a Geo but with plastic panels (and very few actually understand the benefits of the plastic panels, they assume it was done to be cheaper).

Honestly, I think Hummer is the defunct brand with the best chances of being brought back to life, because they were hugely profitable and have a lot of brand cache. I would expect to see a Hummer reboot as a more fuel efficient version this time around, with a tagline along the lines of being a "no compromises" vehicle that can get great fuel economy (likely from a TDI powertrain), offroad prowess, durable yet high quality and luxurious interiors, and imposing and rugged exterior styling.

I would rate the chances of Hummer being revived as somewhere around the chances of the crab people invading the surface world however. In which case, a Hummer would make a fantastic vehicle for mowing down hordes of crab people.

Hummer had a brief revival for some unknown production last year where there were roughly iirc, 800-1000 Hummers that were built and that was it.

I don't see any of the defunct brands coming back- it would take a LOT of money for someone to buy up all of the necessary blueprints, etc and a demand for parts, etc. for a defunct brand to make a comeback. Yes it was done with Delorean, but that was because someone in Texas bought the warehouse that held all of the remaining leftover parts that weren't used back in the day when Deloreans were built. And now you can buy a "New" Delorean for the tune of $55K and up.

Not going to happen.

Bryan

94 SL2 225K Miles
97 SW2 255K Miles

Garaged
94 SL2 HCE, "Pearl"

Never Forget
94 SC1 340,501 Miles
Original Engine/Auto Trans
02/97-10/08
Gone 03/12

92 SL1
05 VUE
91 SC

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2NDSOUT's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2NDSOUT reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2NDSOUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 08:09 AM   #10
sideup66

2003 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRL View Post

No offense I find it a bit hypocritical you say that. Reason being if I look back at old posts to where you first picked up your Vue, you didnt seem to think of it as "cheap POS" car.

However, I will agree, most people think that somehow there is no steel at all in the car making it a rolling deathtrap (to be honest I dont think you can get plastic to hold 4000 Ibs, no matter how thick it is). And have no clue as to their construction.

If they came back somehow, yes I would definitely buy a new one. For what you pay, you get a decent, reliable car that does reasonably well on gas.

What I dont understand is how its seen as POS yet people see so many old ones on the road. Honda does the same thing and everyone sees that as the uber reliable brand...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help sideup66 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-16-2012, 07:30 PM   #11
Midnight13
Midnight13 is on a distinguished road

1998 SL
2005 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by sideup66 View Post
No offense I find it a bit hypocritical you say that. Reason being if I look back at old posts to where you first picked up your Vue, you didnt seem to think of it as "cheap POS" car.

However, I will agree, most people think that somehow there is no steel at all in the car making it a rolling deathtrap (to be honest I dont think you can get plastic to hold 4000 Ibs, no matter how thick it is). And have no clue as to their construction.

If they came back somehow, yes I would definitely buy a new one. For what you pay, you get a decent, reliable car that does reasonably well on gas.

What I dont understand is how its seen as POS yet people see so many old ones on the road. Honda does the same thing and everyone sees that as the uber reliable brand...
XRL has a point in saying this is how people see Saturns now. Look at the majority of people buying them up now. Doesn't really matter what emblem is on the front of the car..a $500-$1500 car is just a cheap POS to drive until it breaks down,then they get another $500-$1500 car.

They're all over the road now, because they are 10-17 yr old cars!! (S-series anyways). Most adults with families, and young children don't want to put their chances in an old car like that. I wouldn't want to be stranded on the side of the road in below freezing temps with my kids in the car waiting for a tow truck! New or newer vehicles are just more reliable. I wish Saturns were still made, they are pretty reliable, even considering the issues i've had with mine over the years. The plastic panels were an amazing idea! What I LOVE about mine! Something that was also bashed by many. Saturn will never come back. I still have my "14 yr old SL", and glad I do!!! I trust it with myself my 3 yr old, and soon enough, newborn.

The newer Saturns that are bought now, are either returning former Saturn owners, or people looking for a cheap vehicle, and a brand that has been known for reliability.

As Saturns are phased out, say 10yrs from now, the brand will be remembered, yet we'll all move on to something else.

"Not for human consumption!" - Peas in the Pod

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Peas-in-a-Pod/160649663950771

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Midnight13's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Midnight13 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Midnight13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 07:34 PM   #12
sideup66

2003 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight13 View Post
XRL has a point in saying this is how people see Saturns now. Look at the majority of people buying them up now. Doesn't really matter what emblem is on the front of the car..a $500-$1500 car is just a cheap POS to drive until it breaks down,then they get another $500-$1500 car.

They're all over the road now, because they are 10-17 yr old cars!! (S-series anyways). Most adults with families, and young children don't want to put their chances in an old car like that. I wouldn't want to be stranded on the side of the road in below freezing temps with my kids in the car waiting for a tow truck! New or newer vehicles are just more reliable. I wish Saturns were still made, they are pretty reliable, even considering the issues i've had with mine over the years. The plastic panels were an amazing idea! What I LOVE about mine! Something that was also bashed by many. Saturn will never come back. I still have my "14 yr old SL", and glad I do!!! I trust it with myself my 3 yr old, and soon enough, newborn.

The newer Saturns that are bought now, are either returning former Saturn owners, or people looking for a cheap vehicle, and a brand that has been known for reliability.

As Saturns are phased out, say 10yrs from now, the brand will be remembered, yet we'll all move on to something else.
I said one time you see the group of people who own a car change as the car gets older. Same for saturns. Ones especially like my Vue and the early 00s models are great buys for college students as their still considered safe vehicles and despite the stupid issues they have (thanks GM!) they tend to be quite reliable and inexpensive to maintain/repair.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-16-2012, 08:04 PM   #13
XRL
Master Member
XRL will become famous soon enoughXRL will become famous soon enough

2004 VUE Red Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by sideup66 View Post

Hondas have much higher quality overall and are much nicer inside. Hondas never had a reputation for being cheap, they had a reputation for being quality vehicles for people that wanted to go from A to B. The interior and build quality of a Honda compared to any comparable time and model from GM is night and day.

The reality is, my Vue (like all Saturns) was not intended to be a nice car, it was built to a price, and built to be a cheap offering that would appeal to buyers more interested in value pricing (and to some extent, meek people who were too afraid to bargain for a deal on a car) than anything else. While I can't complain about its service mechanically (thanks Honda), there's no denying that it was built to be cheap and it showed in many places. And there's nothing wrong with that, but the reality is, in today's market there's SEVERAL brands that can build to that lower price points now, without (as bad) the stigma of being a cheap Saturn. Chevy has the Cruze and Aveo/Spark, Equinox, Malibu, etc., so they have no need to have an entry level brand, Chevy is their entry level brand! There's no reason to have dual entry level brands, they're low margin and high overhead.

I don't see any of the brands making a full comeback. I could see maybe a small group of sporty offerings from Pontiac, sold as special models. Maybe a few limited vehicles from Hummer sold as specialty vehicles on a limited basis at a high premium at special dealers.

But again, I doubt that will happen. It's far more likely that an external company will buy Hummer and build their own vehicles from that (I could see Tata buying them as an entry level Land Rover sub-brand, or someone else that's not a major player buying them as a spearhead, likely from China).

A Hummer used as an entry level Land Rover using fuel efficient powertrains (like the turbo4 from Ford in the Evoque) could be a winner. Then again, if anyone were to build Hummers again that were nice and got decent fuel economy, they could likely be a winner still. People still want Hummers, but they damn sure don't want to settle for mid teens gas mileage on the highway.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to XRL's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help XRL reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
XRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 01:37 PM   #14
Dropped Ion
Dropped Ion is on a distinguished road

Quote:
To be honest I am surprised they went away. It's a reliable, affordable car with great customer service...what else could you ask for?

-------------------------------------------------
2011 Dodge Challenger R/T
6 speed manual
20" rims w/ 3.92 rear end
5.7 liter HEMI V8 making 400+ ft-lbs of torque

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Dropped Ion's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Dropped Ion reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Dropped Ion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 12:47 PM   #15
dsquare86
dsquare86 is on a distinguished road

2002 SL1
2001 SL2

Honda is not as reliable as people think, when my wifes Integra breaks down -- Saturn time

Derek
2002 Saturn SL1 SOHC 5 Speed.
2001 Saturn SL2 DOHC 5 Speed - Retired.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dsquare86's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dsquare86 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dsquare86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 08:24 PM   #16
slipstream
slipstream is on a distinguished road

2001 SC2

I think Gm kinda just stopped the "port" companies.

Pontiac ported a lot of Chevrolet vehicles, in some cases literally just changing the badge.

Near the end, Saturn ported Opel and relied heavily on other GM platforms and designs (Outlook, Relay etc) iirc, the Saturn Vue is still being sold in the world as something else, but it looks the exact same lol.

Hummer wasn't really profitable but went to a Chinese company until that failed.

The only real brand comeback story to pay attention to is DMC. An entrepeneur bought DMC a while ago and started to reproduce DMC DeLoreans with original parts and new parts. They have a few dealerships in USA, and it's definitely a neat car, retaining a lot of the styling but updated a bit with new safety features and engines, including an electric version coming out.

/twocents

Rick: You think you love her Shayne.. But ya don't

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to slipstream's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help slipstream reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
slipstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 01:04 PM   #17
ricksLS1
Master Member
ricksLS1 has a spectacular aura aboutricksLS1 has a spectacular aura about

The Outlook was a Clone to the Traverse, Arcadia and Enclave. The Aura was built in the same line as the Malibu. The Astra was a flop (Opel based) as was the L series.

The ION was a flop too. Someone could buy the name (Like Penske) and put it on another vehicle.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ricksLS1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ricksLS1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ricksLS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 01:28 PM   #18
adventureoflink
Master Member
adventureoflink has a spectacular aura aboutadventureoflink has a spectacular aura aboutadventureoflink has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricksLS1 View Post
The ION was a flop too. Someone could buy the name (Like Penske) and put it on another vehicle.
Really, the Ion was a flop? I thought it was pretty good, a more worthy successor to the S-series IMHO

97 SL2
DOB: 3/19/97
Date Obtained: 5/30/07

2004 Merc G.Marquis GS
DOB: 2/4/04
Date Obtained: 7/6/12

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to adventureoflink's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help adventureoflink reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
adventureoflink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 02:15 PM   #19
mikec
mikec will become famous soon enough

2006 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by adventureoflink View Post
Really, the Ion was a flop? I thought it was pretty good, a more worthy successor to the S-series IMHO
I personally liked the Ion but it did make a top 10 worst car list:

http://www.thestreet.com/story/11381...-all-time.html

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mikec's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mikec reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mikec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 04:01 PM   #20
ricksLS1
Master Member
ricksLS1 has a spectacular aura aboutricksLS1 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by adventureoflink View Post
How many years was the ION produced? As sales go it was a flop.

I can see a CHinese company buying the Saturn brand and building cars in China and using the Saturn nameplate. Not that I would agree with this. They do this with TV's now. RCA name is owned by a Chinese company.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ricksLS1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ricksLS1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ricksLS1 is offline   Reply With Quote