SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-14-2012, 10:53 PM   #1
Cory
Cory is on a distinguished road

2002 SC2
Default cooling problems

can someone take pictures of all the cooling hoses on a 1.9 dohc so i know for a fact there all in the right place before i start driving? would really appreciate it

because im not sure if they are all hooked up right but today i ran the car about 15-20 min and seen that there is oil in my tank so just to dubble check before i take off the head again and swap out gaskets i figured id give this a shot

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Cory's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Cory reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Cory is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-14-2012, 11:08 PM   #2
magtec
Advanced Member
magtec will become famous soon enough

1995 SW2
Default Re: cooling problems

hate to break it to you, but there is no way incorrect coolant hose routing would put oil in the coolant...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to magtec's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help magtec reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
magtec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 11:45 PM   #3
Cory
Cory is on a distinguished road

2002 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by magtec View Post
hate to break it to you, but there is no way incorrect coolant hose routing would put oil in the coolant...

just pulled my head off and looking at the head gasket theres no spots i can see where it could have failed

with the 1.9 on the far right side of your intake manifold (if looking at it from the front) the two hose spots these are cooling lines right? im pretty stumped on the electrical, vacuum, cooling stuff because i did not remove them there for i have no idea what im doing lol im pretty much winging it on all that stuff iv figured out my electrical stuff but the cooling and vac lines im having problems with

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Cory's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Cory reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Cory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 11:56 PM   #4
OldNuc
OldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant future

1998 SC2

The large one connects to the heater core inlet and the small one connects to the reservoir.

This might help. http://parts.nalleygmc.com/showAssem...&searchString=

I would suggest investing in an ALL Data subscription as most of these items are shown in drawings in the FSM. http://www.alldatadiy.com/index.html

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 12:02 AM   #5
OldNuc
OldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant future

1998 SC2

If there was oil in the cooling system from a previous failure and you did not clean it all out then it will continue to appear. This requires replacing all 3 large bore hoses(upper and lower radiator and bypass), thermostat, and waterpump. Clean it out and then replace hoses and pump.

Full flush

Drain the system and remove the thermostat. Put the housing back on the engine then you back flush through the top radiator hose into the block and out the bottom hose. Then you back flush through the radiator, in at the bottom and let it run out the top. Flush out the reservoir. Put the hoses back on and fill system with water. Add several ( 1 to 2 total) tablespoons of Lectra-Sol or Calgon automatic dishwasher soap and the recommended amount of Finish Glass Magic Dishwasher Performance Booster. Just let it sit and idle. Once it has been hot, between 3/8 and just before 1/2 on the gauge, shut it off and let it cool down till its only warm. Now take the upper and lower hose lose again and flush through the block and radiator. You can pull the little hose off of the block and flush back through there and that will flush the heater core. Repeat the fill ,soap, heat, drain process till it is definitely clean. Do a final fill and rinse with distilled water, you will need 7 quarts or a bit less for this. Now replace the thermostat and radiator hoses. Add 1 full gallon of 100% antifreeze, yellow universal is best but use what ever you like, and top off with distilled water. Start the car, reservoir cap off, and verify that there is a solid stream of coolant returning to the reservoir from the small line on the right rear corner. Continue to run with the reservoir cap off until the fan cycles on and off at least once, top off reservoir with distilled water to the full line and then put the cap on. There is a very small little check ball port in the thermostat housing, make sure that the ball rattles. The Finish Glass Magic Dishwasher Performance Booster is now required to replace the phosphorus that has been removed from the Automatic Dishwasher detergent.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-16-2012, 03:32 PM   #6
1.9 sohc
1.9 sohc is on a distinguished road

2000 SL

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
Flush out the reservoir. Put the hoses back on and fill system with water. Add several ( 1 to 2 total) tablespoons of Lectra-Sol or Calgon automatic dishwasher soap and the recommended amount of Finish Glass Magic Dishwasher Performance Booster. .........The Finish Glass Magic Dishwasher Performance Booster is now required to replace the phosphorus that has been removed from the Automatic Dishwasher detergent.

Seriously performence booster is needed to help clean the block?
I'm not joking I have only flushed cars with water in the past, but wouldn't just a little detergent be ok?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 1.9 sohc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 1.9 sohc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
1.9 sohc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 03:37 PM   #7
OldNuc

1998 SC2

You use the automatic dishwasher detergent and the performance booster to get the oil out of the engine. Dish soap makes a huge mess and does not get it clean. The performance booster is the phosphorus that you need to cut the oil.

Detergent is useless without phosphorus and the environazis have succeed in getting it removed from laundry detergent and automatic dishwasher detergent, so you have to put it back.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-16-2012, 04:06 PM   #8
1.9 sohc
1.9 sohc is on a distinguished road

2000 SL

Thanks!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 1.9 sohc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 1.9 sohc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
1.9 sohc is offline   Reply With Quote