SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > 2008 Vue
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-09-2012, 01:05 PM   #1
tr617
tr617 is on a distinguished road

Default Noisy Transmission

We have a 08 VUE XE AWD. And last summer on our way to the beach, we had somone pull out in front of us and I had to stop really hard. The transmission began making a 'whining' noise. After about 15 minutes, it finally went away. I have since noticed if you excelerate hard or stop hard it happens. Is this an issue with the CVT? If so, is it something to be troubled over. I have taken it to the Chevrolet dealership that took over the Saturn service and they could not find anything. But that was before I figured out how to replicate the issue.

On another note, very disatisfied with the service I am getting from the Chevy dealership. The Saturn of Asheville dealership really spoiled us.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to tr617's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help tr617 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
tr617 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-09-2012, 04:56 PM   #2
col_dude190
Advanced Member
col_dude190 will become famous soon enough

2006 VUE Red Line
2004 VUE Red Line
Default Re: Noisy Transmission

Quote:
Originally Posted by tr617 View Post
We have a 08 VUE XE AWD. And last summer on our way to the beach, we had somone pull out in front of us and I had to stop really hard. The transmission began making a 'whining' noise. After about 15 minutes, it finally went away. I have since noticed if you excelerate hard or stop hard it happens. Is this an issue with the CVT? If so, is it something to be troubled over.
First of all, a CVT (continuously variable transmission) is a type of transmission. Its not a component of the transmission. You Vue XE doesn't have a CVT. It uses a regular 6 speed automatic transmission. The only Vues that used a very poorly designed CVT transmission that had many issues were '02-'04 Automatic 4 cylinder models, which obviously wouldn't effect your Vue.

I guess my biggest question is why are you asking about this when it happened last summer? Are you experiencing other issues with the transmission? Are you completely sure that the noise you heard was from the transmission and not another component of the vehicle?

The transmission in your Vue is generally a pretty good transmission. It has some issues with the 3-5R waveplate failing prematurely, but your issue doesn't sound like a waveplate issue. Generally when they fail, you will lose reverse or you won't be able to go above 40mph and a check engine light should be illuminated. My guess is that the noise you heard was just a one time thing from braking so abruptly and its probably nothing to worry about, but if you are having other transmission issues, definitely explain what you're experiencing.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to col_dude190's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help col_dude190 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
col_dude190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 09:12 PM   #3
BobbyP
Master Member
BobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really nice

2006 VUE Red Line
2007 SKY

The hydraulic power steering can whine.

Several people had problems with this on their 08-09 VUE's. Do a search...

2006 Black VUE Red Line - Now running iOS 7 Beta 7

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BobbyP's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BobbyP reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BobbyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 06:29 PM   #4
neilpilot
neilpilot is on a distinguished road

2008 VUE 2.4L

Hydraulic steering - thought my VUE has electric steering, no hydraulics?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to neilpilot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help neilpilot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
neilpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 12:16 AM   #5
col_dude190
Advanced Member
col_dude190 will become famous soon enough

2006 VUE Red Line
2004 VUE Red Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilpilot View Post
Hydraulic steering - thought my VUE has electric steering, no hydraulics?
Your 4 cylinder Vue has electric power steering. '08+ Vues with the 3.5 V6 and the 3.6 V6 both use a traditional hydraulic power steering system.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to col_dude190's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help col_dude190 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
col_dude190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 09:07 PM   #6
tr617

Quote:
Originally Posted by col_dude190 View Post
First of all, a CVT (continuously variable transmission) is a type of transmission. Its not a component of the transmission. You Vue XE doesn't have a CVT. It uses a regular 6 speed automatic transmission. The only Vues that used a very poorly designed CVT transmission that had many issues were '02-'04 Automatic 4 cylinder models, which obviously wouldn't effect your Vue.

I guess my biggest question is why are you asking about this when it happened last summer? Are you experiencing other issues with the transmission? Are you completely sure that the noise you heard was from the transmission and not another component of the vehicle?

The transmission in your Vue is generally a pretty good transmission. It has some issues with the 3-5R waveplate failing prematurely, but your issue doesn't sound like a waveplate issue. Generally when they fail, you will lose reverse or you won't be able to go above 40mph and a check engine light should be illuminated. My guess is that the noise you heard was just a one time thing from braking so abruptly and its probably nothing to worry about, but if you are having other transmission issues, definitely explain what you're experiencing.
We are actually still having the issue, if you have to slow down quickly or accelerate too hard. And as far as the CVT reference, that is what the Chevrolet dealership that took over the service on the vehicle told me it had. Definitely miss my Saturn Service Department.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help tr617 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-10-2012, 09:13 PM   #7
tr617

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyP View Post
The hydraulic power steering can whine.

Several people had problems with this on their 08-09 VUE's. Do a search...
It does not appear to be the power steering. I can turn the wheel and there is no change in the noise. I can shift into reverse then back into drive a few times and the trouble usually starts to clear up.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-13-2012, 05:58 PM   #8
far2grumpy
Master Member
far2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to all

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by tr617 View Post
It does not appear to be the power steering. I can turn the wheel and there is no change in the noise. I can shift into reverse then back into drive a few times and the trouble usually starts to clear up.
If I were in your shoes I'd call one or more local independent transmissions shops. We're blessed with several in this area that will provide a free road-test, and since transmissions are their business, most will probably zero-in on the cause.

If you have GM warranty - it might be worth-while to even pay a small fee to have a piece of paper to carry to dealer.

"Good judgement comes from experience - and a lot of that comes from bad judgement." ... Will Rogers

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to far2grumpy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help far2grumpy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
far2grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 06:40 PM   #9
BobbyP
Master Member
BobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really nice

2006 VUE Red Line
2007 SKY

I would suspect a hydraulic pressure problem in your automatic. It could simply be low on fluid. Worst case it could be a clogged filter, or a bad pump.

Has the transmission fluid ever been changed? You may want to change it and see if fresh fluid solves your problem.

I wouldn't wait too long to have it diagnosed. Without proper pressure certain areas in your transmission could be operating without lubrication causing major damage.

According to Edmunds the 2008 3.5L AWD VUE has GM's 6-speed automatic.

2006 Black VUE Red Line - Now running iOS 7 Beta 7

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BobbyP's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BobbyP reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BobbyP is offline   Reply With Quote