SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Aura > Aura General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Advanced Forum Search | Advanced Photo Search

Old 03-22-2012, 01:08 PM   #1
svenster
svenster is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XR
Default Drivers seat broke

About a week ago my drivers seat started slowly reclining to the right and back on my 07 XR. It ended up laying to the right against the console. I thought that the power seat mechanism malfunctioned as it was a slow recline but the dealer said that the frame had broken. I really must start a diet. They had to order a whole new seat frame (bottom and back) take off all the leather, plastics, heaters, foam and electrics from the old one and put them on the new frame. It would have cost $740 but my GMPP extended warranty picked it up and also $105 for the rental. With my other extended warranty claim of $290 this makes a total of $1135 on the extended warranty which cost me $905 and I still have 22,000 miles of coverage and 24 months left on it. Its turning out to be a pretty good investment.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to svenster's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help svenster reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
svenster is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-22-2012, 01:15 PM   #2
greenman
greenman will become famous soon enough

2009 AURA XE
Default Re: Drivers seat broke

Busted seat frames on the Aura, Malibu & G6 family are too common.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to greenman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help greenman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
greenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 05:44 PM   #3
Low Saturn
Low Saturn is a name known to allLow Saturn is a name known to allLow Saturn is a name known to allLow Saturn is a name known to allLow Saturn is a name known to allLow Saturn is a name known to all

2008 AURA XE

Where exactly does it break? Is it just broken welds?

Mike

-1991 Turbo SL2 - Gone, but not forgotten.
11.809 @ 116.488 mph
www.differentracing.com

-2001 Chevrolet Suburban
-2011 Rally Yellow Chevrolet Camaro 2SS RS

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Low Saturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Low Saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Low Saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 09:28 PM   #4
svenster

2007 AURA XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Saturn View Post
Where exactly does it break? Is it just broken welds?
They didn't tell me where it broke. Based on other posts I assume it was a weld.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help svenster reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-22-2012, 11:20 PM   #5
greenman

2009 AURA XE

I believe it's at the welds. Sometimes its in the back, other times in the seat. Just not made tough enough.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help greenman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-28-2012, 09:03 PM   #6
rlbock
rlbock is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XR

I had to replace my lower drivers seat frame because it broke at the right rear, the weld and frame tubing both broke. I think the power seat switch contributed to the failure, the switch must be pushed and pulled at the same time, the switch operates both power motors on each side of the seat if operated correctly, if you just pull up on the front part of the switch the seat power motor on only one side will rotate and put the seat in a bind.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rlbock's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rlbock reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rlbock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 09:08 PM   #7
Low Saturn
Low Saturn is a name known to allLow Saturn is a name known to allLow Saturn is a name known to allLow Saturn is a name known to allLow Saturn is a name known to allLow Saturn is a name known to all

2008 AURA XE

Do the seats creak or make any type of noise when this happens?

I know how to weld and could fix it if it ever happens to me. Someone needs to take pictures of where they break, then some of us can weld extra material in the area to prevent it.

Mike

11.809 @ 116.488 mph
www.differentracing.com

-2001 Chevrolet Suburban

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Low Saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-29-2012, 04:25 PM   #8
svenster

2007 AURA XR

Quote:
Do the seats creak or make any type of noise when this happens?

I know how to weld and could fix it if it ever happens to me. Someone needs to take pictures of where they break, then some of us can weld extra material in the area to prevent it.
It didn't make any noise. Just a slow (30 second) recline to the right and it was over. I couldn't see where it broke.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-31-2012, 02:24 PM   #9
rlbock
rlbock is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XR

I went to local salvage yard and bought a used seat from a 08 Aura for $125.00 complete match what i had pefectly, tan leather, airbags, power everything and installed in place of mine and it worked fine and looked better then my original. Hardest part of changing the seat was unlocking the electrical connections, other then that it is very simple.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rlbock's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rlbock reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rlbock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 09:12 PM   #10
Twenty4
Twenty4 is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XR

I had the same issue.My car was out of warranty (2007 60k miles) and through many hours arguing with GM I got the seat frame replaced for free.

Would have cost $800 if they did not cover it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Twenty4's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Twenty4 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Twenty4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 10:20 PM   #11
golftango
golftango is on a distinguished road

2009 AURA XE

I'm thinking that with the number of seat frame failures across the Aura/Malibu/G6 line, GM should issue a recall, or TSB. This is a safety issue. Or at least extend the warranty.

'09 Saturn Aura XE (sold 2013)
'11 Kia Optima LX
'09 Mazda 5 Grand Touring

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to golftango's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help golftango reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
golftango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 12:13 PM   #12
Low Saturn

2008 AURA XE

Looks like a pretty crappy weld job. I'm going to have to pull my seats and see how they look. I'm going to reweld it and weld the entire thing, not just that small section. I'm going to do it completly where the bar wraps around the tube. I might even add a gusset.

Thanks for the pictures. Now we know what to look for.

I guess I should of kept those two seat frames I sent to the metal recycler.

Mike

11.809 @ 116.488 mph
www.differentracing.com

-2001 Chevrolet Suburban

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-13-2012, 01:52 PM   #13
greenman

2009 AURA XE

Quote:
Looks like a pretty crappy weld job. I'm going to have to pull my seats and see how they look. I'm going to reweld it and weld the entire thing, not just that small section. I'm going to do it completly where the bar wraps around the tube. I might even add a gusset.

Thanks for the pictures. Now we know what to look for.

I guess I should of kept those two seat frames I sent to the metal recycler.
If you do pull the seats, can you post a picture of what it looks like pre-break. I can't even tell where the weld is in that pic.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-13-2012, 04:22 PM   #14
Low Saturn

2008 AURA XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenman View Post
If you do pull the seats, can you post a picture of what it looks like pre-break. I can't even tell where the weld is in that pic.

Please excuse my poor MS Paint skills. No Photoshop on the computer at work.

It looks like they may of used too much heat when doing that weld. Instead of bonding the two pieces of metal, it burned through.

Mike

11.809 @ 116.488 mph
www.differentracing.com

-2001 Chevrolet Suburban

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-13-2012, 05:13 PM   #15
Twenty4
Twenty4 is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XR

From what I could tell, the hole in the tube is actually a slot for the bracket to rest. There was not enough penetration in the weld to hold the bracket to the tube.

Just glancing at the pics make it look like it was over penetrated making the tube weak but actually, it was the opposite.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Twenty4's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Twenty4 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Twenty4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 11:25 PM   #16
GMHonk
GMHonk is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Drivers seat sheared weld

Here's another example before removal.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg broken driver seat weld.jpg (114.7 KB, 21 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to GMHonk's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help GMHonk reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
GMHonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 01:56 AM   #17
greenman

2009 AURA XE

I really hate to start yet another GM ***** session but I'm noticing my unprotected interior steel parts rust just like that in my '09. Under the seats, the center console & the dash. My intermediate steering shaft is absolutely covered with rust. It shows a lack of attention to the details. Of course, you guys in desert climates probably have no idea what I'm talking about.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-22-2012, 02:43 PM   #18
golftango
golftango is on a distinguished road

2009 AURA XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenman View Post
I really hate to start yet another GM ***** session but I'm noticing my unprotected interior steel parts rust just like that in my '09. Under the seats, the center console & the dash. My intermediate steering shaft is absolutely covered with rust. It shows a lack of attention to the details. Of course, you guys in desert climates probably have no idea what I'm talking about.
Hey Greenman, I'm not sure if the superficial surface rust is the issue. I think it's just a weak weld period.

Every car I've owned has unprotected metal behind the dash, etc. and they have all displayed a bit of surface rust. My Honda, Toyota, Nissan, etc.

'09 Saturn Aura XE (sold 2013)
'11 Kia Optima LX
'09 Mazda 5 Grand Touring

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to golftango's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help golftango reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
golftango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 03:01 PM   #19
greenman

2009 AURA XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by golftango View Post
Hey Greenman, I'm not sure if the superficial surface rust is the issue. I think it's just a weak weld period.
I agree.

Quote:
Every car I've owned has unprotected metal behind the dash, etc. and they have all displayed a bit of surface rust. My Honda, Toyota, Nissan, etc.
I suppose you're right on that also. But I'm shocked how fast the rust is forming on my 2 1/2 year old interior parts.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!