SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-12-2012, 02:19 PM   #1
transittrash
transittrash is on a distinguished road

1995 SC1
Default Los Angeles Parts/Service source?

Hey folks,
Just picked up another Saturn for my daughters first car. We had 3 previous Saturns in the family till my wife got some bad service at Saturn of the Valley and jumped ship to a Honda element. Here is my dilema: Im pretty handy however does anyone here have a good source for local parts/service. The car has the typical "stiff shift" clutch problem, and I have a new master/slave That I will replace. Now if this does not fix it, Im sure it will require the replacment of the clutch/pressure plate to solve it and dont really want to take this job on.

Any suggestions?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to transittrash's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help transittrash reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
transittrash is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-13-2012, 11:52 AM   #2
Greg1
Greg1 is on a distinguished road

1997 SW2
1998 SL2
Default Re: Los Angeles Parts/Service source?

Autozone works but I typically buy my parts from Rockauto/Amazon/Ebay because they are cheaper and more convenient for me.

97 SW2 5-Sp 273k -mine
02 SC2 5-Sp 67k - best friend's

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Greg1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Greg1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Greg1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 09:50 PM   #3
transittrash

1995 SC1

Thanks Greg1,
Actually, I purchased the master/slave clutch unit from Autozone. The clutch issue is solved! I was sweating that I had to put a clutch/pressure plate in the car but looks like I saved a few bucks. By any chance have you been to any of the local boneyards for saturn parts? If so which on do you reccomend?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help transittrash reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-14-2012, 10:07 PM   #4
PurdueGuy
Master Member
PurdueGuy is a jewel in the roughPurdueGuy is a jewel in the roughPurdueGuy is a jewel in the rough

1999 SC2
1999 SC1

For service, focus on finding someone trustworthy. No need to find a mechanic that's specifically good with these cars, because these cars are a piece of cake to work on. If the mechanic can't work on an S-Series, they shouldn't be picking up a wrench to begin with.

SaturnSeries.net owner

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to PurdueGuy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help PurdueGuy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
PurdueGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 10:42 PM   #5
Greg1
Greg1 is on a distinguished road

1997 SW2
1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by transittrash View Post
Thanks Greg1,
Actually, I purchased the master/slave clutch unit from Autozone. The clutch issue is solved! I was sweating that I had to put a clutch/pressure plate in the car but looks like I saved a few bucks. By any chance have you been to any of the local boneyards for saturn parts? If so which on do you reccomend?
I went to one of those PYP places in Sun Valley last year and there were a number of Saturns there but most of them were trashed by people doing whatever to get the part they needed. That area of town is less than desirable too.

97 SW2 5-Sp 273k -mine
02 SC2 5-Sp 67k - best friend's

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Greg1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Greg1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Greg1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 11:57 PM   #6
PurdueGuy
Master Member
PurdueGuy is a jewel in the roughPurdueGuy is a jewel in the roughPurdueGuy is a jewel in the rough

1999 SC2
1999 SC1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg1 View Post
I went to one of those PYP places in Sun Valley last year and there were a number of Saturns there but most of them were trashed by people doing whatever to get the part they needed. That area of town is less than desirable too.
Those places will always be in "less than desirable" parts of town. Think about it - they need acres & acres of space to throw dead cars on. I know I wouldn't be buying prime real estate.

SaturnSeries.net owner

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to PurdueGuy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help PurdueGuy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
PurdueGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 02:53 PM   #7
transittrash

1995 SC1

Took a trip today to the Monrovia CA pick a part and found the glove box latch I was looking for. I counted 6 Saturns there including a couple of wagons. Lots of engine parts remaining the latest model I seen was a 97+ SC.

Oh my,
96 SL2 since retired
93 2 door SC something totaled
2002 SC2 Traded in Hmm
And the current beauty...1995 Black SC1 with crank windows!
And the 63' Karman Ghia project in the garage!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!