SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Astra > Astra General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-10-2012, 10:35 AM   #1
marx404
Master Member
marx404 will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XE
Default Keeping my Astra..?

It's been about 4 years since I bought my Astra and I am still loving it. Almost paid off and I can't find a suitable replacement (feature for feature) in my price range. My bumper to bumper warranty has recently expired and I have about a year left on my powertrain warranty. I only have 36K on her and she looks great other than the nasty roof rail applique paint problem (again). Other than the known issues this has been a very reliable car for me and much fun to drive.

Just wondering how many of us have decided to keep their Astras well past the warranty expiration date and what they plan to do part-wise down the road?

marx404
Saturn lives.

1994 SL2
2002 SC2
2007 ION.3
2008 Astra XE
2004 L300.1

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to marx404's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help marx404 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
marx404 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-10-2012, 04:30 PM   #2
CadiEldo67
CadiEldo67 is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR
Default Re: Keeping my Astra..?

I found that the closest car..not feature for feature but in terms of feel and quality is the Chevy Cruze, especially the Eco trim.

If something happened to my car and I had to replace it, I think I would get one of those or a used Regal turbo.

This is actually the first car I've kept for longer than 2 years..I actually just peeled my old registration off and it feels nice to have a nice car that is paid for, doesn't require much besides gas and doesn't require too much gas .

Of course, when the Cruze diesel comes out, I'm gonna test out one of those..that may lure me into a new car sooner than I think..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to CadiEldo67's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help CadiEldo67 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
CadiEldo67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 07:35 PM   #3
nicolas_p
Advanced Member
nicolas_p will become famous soon enough

2009 Astra XR
2008 Astra XE

I plan on keeping my astra till the car stops working, or it costs too much to maintain. But I plan on buying a truck for winter in a couple years, and keeping the astra for a summer only vehicle. Hopefully going to keep it for a long time because I love it so much.

09 Vauxhall Astra XR3/STD
18" Team Dynamic MonzaR rims
Eibach Sportline, Whiteline BHR75Z swaybar and EBC Rotors
CD30 Mp3, Insignia jets, vxR surround, sharkfin antenna, Spoiler, Tint

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to nicolas_p's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help nicolas_p reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
nicolas_p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 10:04 PM   #4
oilburner
oilburner is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

My commute is all highway, so I keep thinking one of the 40 mpg cars would be nice, but in the end all those cost quite a bit of money if I match the features in the Astra. I really don't see a good reason to trade it in for another car. I haven't driven a cruze yet, but they have quite a bit of weight on the Astra, so I doubt they can match in handling.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to oilburner's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help oilburner reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
oilburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 10:32 PM   #5
Tom S2
Advanced Member
Tom S2 will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XR

mine is about to turn 25k, it has a two or three dings and some scratches on the bumper. for the 8k i would get for it if i sold it, I am better off keeping it. Why drop another ten grand for a similar car with only 25k less miles.

i hope to spend some money on a new track toy. something like an mr2 turbo, c5 or another S2 or 968 and keep the astra as a daily driver.

Astra XR-3-5 HP - Hamster Powered!
Dealer added options, & Infinity speakers.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tom S2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tom S2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Tom S2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 07:22 AM   #6
Sirraven
Sirraven is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

4 years and 60,000 miles later mine is still going strong. Need to get new tires (maybe wheels while Im at it) and will be good until Im at least close to 100,000. After that, then I will debate what I am going to do. That is at least 3 years out, so until then just going to keep on driving the Astra.

Hey when you love the car you drive wheres the rush to get something different? No wagon or anything close to what I would consider replacing the Astra with, so no rush from me.

08 Saturn Astra
5dr XR Twilight Blue
-Manual Transmission
-Advanced Audio Pkg
-Sport Handling Pkg
-Dual Panel Sunroof

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Sirraven's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Sirraven reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Sirraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 12:17 PM   #7
vanilla sky
vanilla sky is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

I'm at about 2 and a half years with mine, and I'm at around 63,000 miles. It has a lot of small paint defects that need attention and it has a good amount of dings but I can touch up the paint and PDR it, and then it would look great again.

I've only had to replace the rear shocks under warranty once, and I need to do it again. I need to clean the cam sensors, I'll do that at my next oil change. I'm over half way through my second set of tires, which probably won't last as long as the OE 'Kooks, but they're a much better tire in every other category.

We plan on keeping this car until it starts breaking. It's the only way I feel we get value for our dollar when buying a new car because of the initial depreciation hit. There's a possibility that a van is in our future for road trips, but it's really starting to look like it will be a third vehicle, not a replacement.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to vanilla sky's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help vanilla sky reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
vanilla sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 06:57 AM   #8
Saturn4Ever
Saturn4Ever will become famous soon enough

2009 Astra XR
2008 Outlook XR

My plan whenever I buy a new car is to keep it for a minimum of 10 years, otherwise its not worth it in terms of depreciation (for any car).

Given that this one has been mostly problem free, hopefully I can go well beyond that before large bill bills start to roll in. Really the only thing that is currently bugging me about the Astra is some nasty swirl marks in the paint. Mechanically it is very sound.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Saturn4Ever's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Saturn4Ever reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Saturn4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 11:33 AM   #9
emg77
Advanced Member
emg77 has a spectacular aura aboutemg77 has a spectacular aura about

2008 Astra XR

I'm at about 3.5 years and 45,000 miles, and still loving my Astra. I don't plan on getting rid of it anytime soon. I just did my second spark plug change this weekend and changed the oil.

I still don't feel that there is much on the market that I want instead of my Astra. Maybe a Focus, but otherwise, I would probably have to spend a lot more money for something I would be interested in. I can't justify the price of a Regal GS. Plus, I'm pretty sure I won't be allowed to get a stick shift for my next car because my wife still hasn't learned how to drive it, even though she said she would, so I'll probably just keep the Astra as long as I can.

The next big expense will be tires and then I'm good until the timing belt change at 75k. I was glad to get almost no snow this winter, as the tires don't have much tread left, but having made it through winter, I've measured them all, and I should have enough tread left to make it to fall before I have to get new tires.

Drives: Black Astra XR5 manual
Past Cars: 09 Traverse, 05 Vue, 04 Grand Prix, 00 Alero, 97 LeSabre, 72 Cutlass S
Wife's Car: 12 Enclave
http://www.fuelly.com/driver/emg77/astra - 29.0 MPG

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to emg77's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help emg77 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
emg77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 06:40 PM   #10
CadiEldo67
CadiEldo67 is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturn4Ever View Post
My plan whenever I buy a new car is to keep it for a minimum of 10 years, otherwise its not worth it in terms of depreciation (for any car).

Given that this one has been mostly problem free, hopefully I can go well beyond that before large bill bills start to roll in. Really the only thing that is currently bugging me about the Astra is some nasty swirl marks in the paint. Mechanically it is very sound.
The sun was shining just right on mine and I was like "where did those swirl marks come from "

I still have to check the other side..it was just further reinforcing the idea that this is my first and last black car - I'm ready to go back to white.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to CadiEldo67's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help CadiEldo67 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
CadiEldo67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 06:43 PM   #11
DigitalSaturns
DigitalSaturns is on a distinguished road

My next car may very well be a Buick Verano Turbo. Sold our SW2 to a neighbor last week as the Astra seems to be a good replacment for it. Couple years the Astra and ION will be sold because we'll get along fine with the SKY and one other car.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DigitalSaturns's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DigitalSaturns reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
DigitalSaturns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 08:37 PM   #12
strz
strz is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Although I like my Astra....I'm ready to move on to a new car. Two years, 70k in mileage....no major problems with the Saturn. I think my next car will be the Volvo S60.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to strz's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help strz reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
strz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 10:12 PM   #13
Tom S2
Advanced Member
Tom S2 will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by emg77 View Post
The next big expense will be tires and then I'm good until the timing belt change at 75k. I was glad to get almost no snow this winter, as the tires don't have much tread left, but having made it through winter, I've measured them all, and I should have enough tread left to make it to fall before I have to get new tires.
i am going to run my winter tires until september when I will buy a new set of winter tires. the factory turds will stay up on a shelf this summer. Im glad i like the way the g6 rims look on the car.

i may stop into a tire store and see if they have a smoking deal on a set of winter tires and put them on now, and then put the factorys back on. if i get around to it.

Astra XR-3-5 HP - Hamster Powered!
Dealer added options, & Infinity speakers.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tom S2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tom S2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Tom S2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 11:47 PM   #14
chadbt
chadbt is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

3 years, 52k - I think I'll keep my Astra for at least another couple of years.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to chadbt's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help chadbt reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
chadbt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 11:19 AM   #15
Weeman
Weeman is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

I never keep cars for long, two years on average and I doubt the Astra will be any different. I hope to change that if I find a car I "really like". I bought my Astra because I wanted an inexpensive hatch loaded with options and I cannot brag enough about it. I am absolutely problem free and my XR has options that would cost 20g plus in a new eco car. In all honesty though I don't take advantage of most the options. For my next car I would be happy with just A/C,cruise and heated seats (besides the standard pw,pl, keyless entry etc on cars these days.).

If I had to replace the Astra with a similar car I would choose the Kia Rio5 hatchback or Hyundai Veloster. Both cars are very similarly equipped to the Astra for a sub 20g price tag, both handle great, and both get 33/30 city and 38mpg hwy which is excellent!

For my next car I am leaning towards the 2013 Mustang V6. I had one for a few days as a rental car and I fell in love with the ride comfort, steering and mix of awesome power for reasonable fuel economy. For 1g more than the loaded Rio5, Ford has loaded base mustangs with HIDs, cruise, AC, great looks etc. not to mention 305hp with 30mpg highway! The only debate I have with myself is if I'm willing to sacrifice hatchback cargo space for a sporty coupe.

Example pics:

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Weeman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Weeman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Weeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 06:43 PM   #16
marx404
Master Member
marx404 will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirraven View Post
Hey when you love the car you drive wheres the rush to get something different? No wagon or anything close to what I would consider replacing the Astra with, so no rush from me.
My reasons are 1.) Parts availability now and in the future (seems like some Astra parts take an extraordinary time to get for some dealers)
2.) as my Powertrain Warranty will expire later next year, what will my out of pocket expense be when I have to start paying for any repairs by myself?

I read a thread somewhere here that someone paid through the nose for a coil pack rail. I am feeling like I own a rare BMW or something that might not be affordable in the future.

So I am weighing my options and hoping for the best. Cheers!
marx404

marx404
Saturn lives.

1994 SL2
2002 SC2
2007 ION.3
2008 Astra XE
2004 L300.1

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to marx404's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help marx404 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
marx404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 03:06 PM   #17
Weeman
Weeman is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by marx404 View Post
My reasons are 1.) Parts availability now and in the future (seems like some Astra parts take an extraordinary time to get for some dealers)
2.) as my Powertrain Warranty will expire later next year, what will my out of pocket expense be when I have to start paying for any repairs by myself?

I read a thread somewhere here that someone paid through the nose for a coil pack rail. I am feeling like I own a rare BMW or something that might not be affordable in the future.

So I am weighing my options and hoping for the best. Cheers!
marx404
Ebay stores have many OEM style parts for reasonable prices. I know ebay is not consistent, what may be there now could be gone tomorrow.. but hey worth a shot!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Weeman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Weeman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Weeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 10:46 PM   #18
C152
C152 is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XE

Hi all,

Well, I had decided to keep mine for various reasons:

1) Want to end the lease cycle and stop eternal monthly payments
2) Staying with GM is most probably the best financial decision because of loyalty discounts. My dealer has been leaving me messages reminding me that my lease is almost up since a year ago. My lease ends this July. Unfortunately, the only car that tickles my fancy is a Regal, but the manual transmission comes in the top model only. $$$
3) I'm at 90 000 km now, that's 10 000 km over the limit with 3 months to go. At $0.13/km that's a bucket load of money.
4) Opelized my car, so there's bound to be a charge for that.
5) I always wanted an Opel since travelling to Europe many years ago. Got one now, might as well keep it.
6) Last, but definitely not least, I really like the car.

As for parts and cost, that is a niggling thought irritating the back of my brain, but we'll see. I was putting on my winter tires and asked what would brakes cost (still on the originals.) The price was quite reasonable. That was a relief.

Another little interesting fact I came across came from a friend who sells cars. I didn't expect him to know the Astra that much, but oh he did. He said that it has quite a following with the youngsters. How 'bout that?

Kind Regards,
C152

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to C152's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help C152 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
C152 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 11:08 PM   #19
vanilla sky
vanilla sky is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

The coil pack is $283 on Rock Auto. That's about twice what I can get the dual coils on a Miata for, and about 4 times what I can get the single coil on my Jeep for. Sounds fairly reasonable to me.

That's also for an OEM AC/Delco coil, not a third-party part.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to vanilla sky's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help vanilla sky reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
vanilla sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 12:46 PM   #20
delkhouri
delkhouri is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XE

Well the coil pack is 789.99 at autozone but they dont have it in stock and its a special order item.

Yes i agree, you can buy the parts online but what happens if you need a part that is integral to the car working. Can you wait for a few days/weeks to get it from rockauto, autozone, or europe. That is my big concern.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to delkhouri's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help delkhouri reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
delkhouri is offline   Reply With Quote