SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Advanced Forum Search | Advanced Photo Search

Old 04-10-2012, 08:59 PM   #1
hummrH2o
hummrH2o is on a distinguished road

2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
2002 SL
Default Shim Kit

I bought my 2002 l300 with 72k on it and put new tires on immediately due to them being cupped. After putting about 15k on my new tires and feeling the same effects I'm coming to realize the previous owner never had the shim kit installed... Is there anyway I can get one or a substitute? Anything? Its truly an awful problem that takes away a lot from such a good car. I can't buy new tires every 2 years and the shaking ruins the driving experience.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to hummrH2o's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help hummrH2o reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
hummrH2o is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-10-2012, 11:54 PM   #2
Jonnyferrari
Jonnyferrari is on a distinguished road

2000 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: Shim Kit

I have the same issue and no shim kit...my $600 tires better not wear out! My mechanic suggested not only the shim kit, but drilling into the control arms to get an even larger camber angle. I also need bushings back there...idk if it is worth anything over 2 or 300 dollars total. Maybe for the tires over time, but its a big expense!

Proud owner of 2000 Saturn LS2 premium package; HELP ME KEEP IT ALIVE!! @112k

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Jonnyferrari's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Jonnyferrari reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Jonnyferrari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 12:50 AM   #3
Frostman
Frostman will become famous soon enoughFrostman will become famous soon enough

2002 L-Series 2.2L Wagon
1993 SL1

You guys can get caber adjustment bolts from rock auto if you don't want to drill holes back there.

I had major chamber and toe issues with my car and it got shimmed. And it was 3-400 bucks and that was also a deal considering how much time was needed to get everything aligned properly. The mechanic also said if he had known how much time it took to shim the car he would have not done it in the first place. My car was gone for nearly 4 days as multiple shim and realignment checks needed to be made. I would like to think that it won't take that long if you guys get yours done.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Frostman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Frostman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Frostman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 09:17 AM   #4
s3nfo
s3nfo is on a distinguished road

2001 L-Series 3.0L Wagon

The "shim kit" is not specific to the L, or any car for that matter. Shim kit is just cam bolts and any good alignment shop should have a bin of them and be able to install and align even an L in an hour, 2 at the most.

Jerry N

"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it, misdiagnosing it and then misapplying the wrong remedies."

Groucho Marx

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to s3nfo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help s3nfo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
s3nfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 12:35 PM   #5
Jonnyferrari

2000 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Do you guys know of any chains that have good alignment prices, and can be trusted (generally)? Doubt you know anything specific in my area, but since this car can be tricky to work on, I don't want to spend more than 350 on this job or have them mess something up. This should include the alignment, my mechanic does not have an electronic alignment machine, and my tire shop is incompetent.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Jonnyferrari reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-11-2012, 02:22 PM   #6
MikeNW
Master Member
MikeNW is on a distinguished road

1997 SL

I recently cured an L200 (2002) of the dreaded tire wear problem.
You have to install new bushings first. (If the old ones are worn)
I went through a long thread on this, the bottom line is you still might have to grind the lower CA mounting hole into an oval to fix the problem.
As far as alignment shops, most I went to had no idea what was wrong. One finally did an alignment for me, after I already agreed, told me they couldn't align it and recommended their own special adjustable control arms. Which is B.S.
Nothing will help unless the bushings are in good shape first.
BTW the bushing replacement wasn't a horrible job. Took me a couple hours. Most of that was a learning curve
Watch your tire pressure. I think over-inflated tires worsen the problem, by allowing the tire to ride on its edge.
Somehow my GF L200 ended up with 205 width tires where 195 are shown on the car label. Wider tires also worsen the condition....
Oh yeah, it would be nice if you could remove the CA's but you have to remove the dang gas tank

97 SL. Born 6/5/97, bought 7/7/97
08 Burgman 400
02 Haro MTB- can't kill it, still trying though

The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming.
Will Munny: We all got it coming, kid.

Last edited by MikeNW; 04-11-2012 at 02:23 PM.. Reason: spello

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MikeNW's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MikeNW reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
MikeNW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 05:53 PM   #7
Triton07
Triton07 is on a distinguished road

2000 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

I had the same issue with both sides on the rear of my 2000 LS2. I removed the lower control arms at the knuckle/ trailing arms and elongated the hole using a die grinder inward an additional 1/2" long. It took the negative camber right out of the vehicle. Nicer ride, much less tire noise and less wear. I had some concern with the bolts sliding in the slots but I check them every time I service the vehicle and they have not budged one bit. Quick and inexpensive fix.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Triton07's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Triton07 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Triton07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 03:45 PM   #8
Jonnyferrari

2000 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

So the parts needed for this repair would be: The 4 bushings (2 per control arm) and the shims? What else is required for this?? I am making a shopping list. I found the Deeza lower control arm bushings SA-G602 for 22 bucks each on RockAuto, and I am curious if I should get the full shim kit from RA for 200 or 340 dollars, or if there is a universal shim I can get for like...10 bucks. I plan on taking this to a shop, spending less than 100 bucks on all parts (if possible) and having an alignment shop take care of it. I don't want to spend much on this repair, but I also cannot afford to replace the 600 dollar 80,000 mile tires. Please help me with my shopping list, the camber is bad!

-4 SA-G602 Lower Control Arm Bushings
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/rafr...&parttype=7532

-Shim Kit for Rear (Looking for recommended Universal shims that most shops should accept)

Thanks!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-12-2012, 05:39 PM   #9
Triton07
Triton07 is on a distinguished road

2000 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Check out saabsite.com, and click on 9-5 parts- click on suspension rear- then camber shim upper or lower. There are other sites on line that you can check or you may get lucky and find that your local Saab dealer has them in stock. The rear suspension is almost identical in the 9-5 and LS2 and I have heard a few people say that these fit perfectly. Good luck.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Triton07's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Triton07 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Triton07 is offline   Reply With Quote