SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Advanced Forum Search | Advanced Photo Search

Old 03-22-2012, 12:58 PM   #1
chris233
chris233 is on a distinguished road

Default Front of engine block leaking

Attached a picture of my problem.

I've changed my own oil for 5 years now, and for the first time I see what looks like an oil leak coming from the front, bottom quarter of my engine block. It's copious enough that it's streaked all the way down the oil pan, and probably half way down the exhaust pipe.

It's clearly a greasy fluid, and is pretty much the colour of oil. Seems pretty clear that it is oil, except my dip stick tells me I wasn't missing any oil.

Has anyone seen this? Most likely problem? Can anyone give me the technical terms of the car parts involved?

Thanks,
Chris

I should mention this is a 2005 ION3
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2012-03-21 20.42.59.jpg (147.7 KB, 44 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to chris233's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help chris233 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
chris233 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-23-2012, 06:50 AM   #2
johnk
johnk is on a distinguished road

2005 ION-3 Sedan
Default Re: Front of engine block leaking

Check your oil filter cap for a crack. I had a hairline crack in mine and had pretty much the same results. When you change your filter make sure you change the o ring on the filter cap at the same time. Most filters now come with new o rings in the box.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to johnk's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help johnk reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
johnk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 10:00 AM   #3
lgodave
lgodave will become famous soon enough

2003 ION-3 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnk View Post
Check your oil filter cap for a crack. I had a hairline crack in mine and had pretty much the same results. When you change your filter make sure you change the o ring on the filter cap at the same time. Most filters now come with new o rings in the box.
+1 on checking the Filter Cap. As for fresh O-Rings... I've never seen an AC Delco Filter come with a Cap O-ring. Never needed to replace my Cap or Cap O-Ring. (My 2003 still has the original "old" design cap.)

If the Cap is cracked... it's probably easier to just buy an AC Delco PF458G (Filter and Cap). Unless johnk has a few examples of Filter brands that include a Cap O-Ring with purchase.

http://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-PF458G...2511980&sr=1-1

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to lgodave's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help lgodave reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
lgodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 04:24 PM   #4
chilipepper1327
Advanced Member
chilipepper1327 is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-3 Quad Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris233 View Post
Has anyone seen this? Most likely problem? Can anyone give me the technical terms of the car parts involved?

Thanks,
Chris

I should mention this is a 2005 ION3
I have never seen an engine, that no matter how well you cared for it, didn't start leaking a little oil. Where and how much is where it would be critical.

My engine leaks oil a little bit everywhere it seems. I don't worry about it, but I keep and eye on it. I have gone over every bolt to make sure nothing is loose, and I wish I could find something loose, then I could tighten it up and stop the leaking.

It is not a perfect world and short of tearing down the engine and doing a complete clean and seal(expensive and time consuming to say the least), there is not much more you can do except doing what you can. If you could supply a picture that is not as close and could show more of the engine, it would be much better.

One way to determine where the oil is really coming from is to thuroughly clean the engine, then run it a bit and see where the oil is actually coming out.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to chilipepper1327's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help chilipepper1327 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
chilipepper1327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 08:27 AM   #5
Maritime Storm
Advanced Member
Maritime Storm has a spectacular aura aboutMaritime Storm has a spectacular aura about

2003 ION-2 Sedan

Also of note the oil pressure switch is to the left and below the oil filter housing almost behind the end of the starter(viewed from the top). It is damn impossible to see from above or below and almost as much fun to change. Mine got plugged up with a piece of carbon back in December, at the time I found it was cheapest to buy at the dealer($20), $10 for a switch socket at NAPA(KD2569 1 1/16") and 1/2 hour of cursing with a 3/8" ratchet a 12" long extension and a u-joint.

Save the Earth, Ban Slushboxes!!!!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Maritime Storm's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Maritime Storm reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Maritime Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 01:37 AM   #6
ttreibel
Advanced Member
ttreibel is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-2 Quad Coupe
2002 SL1

Mine leaks in the same place too. It has never leaked enough to need filling between oil changes however. I just learn to clean up the mess each time I am underneath the car. This is my 5th Saturn all but my first one needed to keep a close eye on the oil use.

1995 SL1 oil burner school commuter looks nice...1997 SL1 Gold 5-speed with new junk yard wheels and tires just got 40.4 MPG....2002 SL1 sometimes 45 MPG on a spring highway drive

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ttreibel's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ttreibel reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ttreibel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 06:39 AM   #7
johnk

2005 ION-3 Sedan

I've gotten the o-rings with Fram filters. I change it once a year or if I see any cracking or damage to the ring.

I have not had issues with cracking my cap since I switched to the proper tool for removal. I had been using a very large cresent wrench that was challenging to grasp the top of the filter to a socket that allows me to break it loose and remove by hand as well as not over tighten.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help johnk reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-10-2012, 11:30 AM   #8
chilipepper1327
Advanced Member
chilipepper1327 is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-3 Quad Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnk View Post
I've gotten the o-rings with Fram filters. I change it once a year or if I see any cracking or damage to the ring.

I have not had issues with cracking my cap since I switched to the proper tool for removal. I had been using a very large cresent wrench that was challenging to grasp the top of the filter to a socket that allows me to break it loose and remove by hand as well as not over tighten.
I just purchased a socket big enough to fit, and it was less than half the price of the tool.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to chilipepper1327's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help chilipepper1327 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
chilipepper1327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 06:37 AM   #9
johnk

2005 ION-3 Sedan

Throw on a Fumoto drain valve and oil changes are a snap on the Ion. I don't know what I'll use the socket for when the time comes to get rid of the Ion, however it does make a great page holder for the service manual.......

REWARD EXCELLENCE!