SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion Red Line
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-09-2012, 08:52 PM   #1
Mugforce
Mugforce is on a distinguished road

Question Red Line Trouble - Check engine light; severe loss of power

I tried to look up this before i posted, sorry if I missed it...

Anyway, I was driving down the Highway today and all of the sudden I lost all but the smallest amount of power while, at the same time, my check engine light and another light that looks like the check engine light with a down arrow came on.

Car info: 2004 Redline 102xxx

I assumed because the loss of power was so large that me car had stalled, but it hadn't. All the power functions (steering, brakes, stereo) where working fine. I thought it was my clutch at first, I'm about due, but it wasn't. the car was sputtering very badly and would hardly respond to acceleration in addition to jerking around (sudden loss and gain of the little power it was putting out). It never actually died, but the tach was not steady.

I have not had the car but for a few months so I'm a little anxious to find the problem . I am thankful for any thoughts on the problem. Let me know if there is anymore information I can give.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Mugforce's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Mugforce reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Mugforce is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-10-2012, 09:48 AM   #2
daver
daver has a spectacular aura aboutdaver has a spectacular aura about

2005 ION Red Line
1999 SC2
Default Re: Red Line Trouble - Check engine light; severe loss of power

The loss of power you experienced was the computer putting the car into "low power mode" because it detected a problem. That in itself is not a big deal, although it sure is scary the first time it happens, isn't it?

It could just be a sensor or something else relatively minor, but you should get the error code(s) read. Advance Auto Parts I know will read the codes for free.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to daver's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help daver reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
daver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 11:15 AM   #3
JohnAK117
JohnAK117 is on a distinguished road

2006 ION Red Line
2003 VUE 3.0L

I'm not sure if you have fixed it yet. But I just purchased a 2006 Redline and it did the same thing when I driving. It took my mechanic two weeks too figure out that it was the Cam/Crank sensor. After that fix it has been running great since. I would have them check that out. The mechanic will have to put a tester directly on the sensors to test them right. But the sensor was only like 40 bucks and labor for 2 hours. So not a terribly pricey fix. Hope that helps!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to JohnAK117's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help JohnAK117 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
JohnAK117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 09:21 AM   #4
daver
daver has a spectacular aura aboutdaver has a spectacular aura about

2005 ION Red Line
1999 SC2

You'll find you also need to clean the throttle body at least every couple of years (depending on how much you drive), or you will experience the same thing.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to daver's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help daver reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
daver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 10:43 AM   #5
2006 ion2
Master Member
2006 ion2 will become famous soon enough2006 ion2 will become famous soon enough

2007 ION-2 Sedan

You did something to make it think something was wrong or something is wrong

2007 Saturn Ion 2
2003 Chevrolet venture lt

trifecta dealer for the U.P. and WI. There is no two door ion. Proudly driving one of the last saturns produced before gm killed the brand.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2006 ion2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2006 ion2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2006 ion2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 12:08 AM   #6
Psyco redline
Psyco redline is on a distinguished road

Mine did same. Had them replace tb and it worked fine. Also cleaned fuel system.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Psyco redline's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Psyco redline reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Psyco redline is offline   Reply With Quote