SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-01-2012, 06:53 PM   #1
huenemed
huenemed is on a distinguished road

Default Warm Weather Failure!

2004 Ion manual transmission.

I've read all the posts about the ignition failures in cold weather and resetting the passcode.

Details: Last weekend the car would not start, but the starter did engage. I assumed dead battery so jumped it, and eventually it did start. I drove a few miles, parked in the drive way and shut 'er down. I then started it back up again successfully. Left it parked in the driveway for the evening.

The next day I went to move the vehicle, and no start - not even a crank over on the starter. The electrics again seemed low on voltage so I attempted to jump start again, this time without success.

Bought a new battery - no change.

Researched this forum about the ignition switch and passcode reset. Since the ignition switch problem seemed isolated to cold weather (I live in Southern California and the coldest it has been this past week was 42 degrees at night) so I did NOT replace the ignition switch ... yet.

I attempted the passcode reset three times without success.

Where should I focus my next step in the troubleshooting process?

Thanks in advance.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to huenemed's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help huenemed reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
huenemed is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-01-2012, 07:11 PM   #2
2006 ion2
Master Member
2006 ion2 will become famous soon enough2006 ion2 will become famous soon enough

2007 ION-2 Sedan
Default Re: Warm Weather Failure!

first off, it's not a passcode, it's "passlock", a security system name covering all GM security systems since ... well ... I'm not sure, early 90s, I believe.

before you even assume passlock is the problem, since you've looked on this forum, has your car actually indicated a passlock interruption during starting?

2007 Saturn Ion 2
2003 Chevrolet venture lt

trifecta dealer for the U.P. and WI. There is no two door ion. Proudly driving one of the last saturns produced before gm killed the brand.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2006 ion2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2006 ion2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2006 ion2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 06:22 AM   #3
huenemed

Thanks 2006! Passlock - I knew I had the terminology incorrect.

Tell the truth, I'm unclear on how to actually determine it is a passlock issue. I went by the symptoms only. I did read about seeing the "security" indicator, but I don't see that on this car's dashboard.

The instruments are in the middle of the console.

Is there a general reference for troubleshooting to rule out various problems?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help huenemed reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-07-2012, 05:10 PM   #4
huenemed

Okay - replaced the ignition switch and began the passlock reset procedure. First time things seemed to go fine - saw the passlock icon flash, timed for 10 minutes, it went out ... and then I blew it because I went right into the start before doing ACC.

So I started over - everything went fine: passlock icon flashed for 10 minutes, I then turned the key to ACC and waited for about 10 seconds, then turned to start again. Passlock icon started flashing as it is supposed to, but then after a few seconds it stopped.

Now, no matter what I do the passlock icon will not flash at all - it just glows and the car won't start. I tried changing the battery thinking that I had drained it with all my shenanigans, but that did not make a different.

Where do I go from here?

I appreciate any help I can get.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-07-2012, 08:22 PM   #5
fdryer
fdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant future

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Search for the 30-minute Passlock relearn procedure in the Ion forums. Its not the 10-minute procedure.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 07:38 AM   #6
huenemed

I did - my post was not clear. I followed the 30 minute procedure EXACTLY! But the procedure did not get past the first 10 minutes successfully. In other words, the first 10 minutes went according to plans. However, after that first 10 ... nothing!

I'll try again today to see if an overnight "rest" helps...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-09-2012, 06:41 AM   #7
huenemed

Well, no success -

So, please bear with me here - I'm going to start from the very beginning of the problem and hopefully won't miss much in case someone can give me a clue or a diagnosis.

It all started last weekend. This is my son's car and he is away to college so we make it a habit of starting it and driving it around the block every weekend. Not this time! The car wouldn't start, but indications were a dead battery since all electrical was very weak and the starter motor would engage but would not crank. We jumped the battery and the car started. Drove it around the block, parked it, shut down, and restarted - all good!

The next day the car would not start and the starter motor would not engage at all. Attempted to jump without success.

I then researched mostly on this forum and concluded that, even though I'm in Southern California where we really don't have the cold weather issues, the ignition switch may be the culprit.

Without replacing the switch at first I attempted the passlock code reset procedure, but I never saw the flashing passlock icon in the dash.

I purchased a new ignition switch and installed it (by the way, for the doubters, this is a very easy job!) and began the passlock code reset procedure. This time I DID get the flashing passlock icon! But after the first 10 minute cycle I got anxious, and forgot to switch to ACC first. Thus reset failed.

But when I tried the procedure again there was no flashing icon!

Reading somewhere in these forums about reinstalling the ignition switch, I took it apart again, and reinstalled the OLD switch. Curiously, upon initiation of the passlock reset procedure I again got the flashing icon! I followed the reset procedure EXACTLY. At the end of the procedure, I turned the ignition to OFF and waited for 30 seconds. I then attempted to start again - no luck. And no flashing icon. Nothing. Power still good in battery as all electrical is working.

So I reinstalled the new ignition switch. Again obtained the flashing icon when attempting the passlock reset procedure. Followed the procedure EXACTLY and everything appeared to go according to expectations throughout the entire 30 minute cycle.

At the end I again turned the ignition OFF, waited for 30 second, and attempted to start again and was presented with ... nothing.

So, if anyone has a clue where I should go next, other than the Saturn dealer, I would appreciate any insight! Thanks everyone!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-09-2012, 07:10 AM   #8
2006 ion2
Master Member
2006 ion2 will become famous soon enough2006 ion2 will become famous soon enough

2007 ION-2 Sedan

Electronics working isn't a proper indication of battery power. But, assuming you have actually properly troubleshot this down to passlock being the issue, it may be the bcm.

2007 Saturn Ion 2
2003 Chevrolet venture lt

trifecta dealer for the U.P. and WI. There is no two door ion. Proudly driving one of the last saturns produced before gm killed the brand.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2006 ion2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2006 ion2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2006 ion2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 11:16 AM   #9
huenemed

Thanks 2006 - I forgot to mention that I put a brand new batter in.

I will research bcm...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-09-2012, 12:10 PM   #10
huenemed

Thanks 2006 - I forgot to mention that I put a brand new battery in.

I will research bcm...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-18-2012, 01:53 PM   #11
huenemed

UPdate - it was the fuse for the PCM... ugh, after all that. I feel STOOPID!! I checked the fuses, but not THAT one...

Thanks everyone!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!