SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-07-2012, 11:32 AM   #1
ShawnV
Master Member
ShawnV is a jewel in the roughShawnV is a jewel in the roughShawnV is a jewel in the rough

1996 SW2
2003 VUE 2.2L
Default 96 SOHC ETCS - no connector?

I picked up a 96 SW1 from Cottmann transmission yesterday. They had taken the tranny out and completely disassembled it to "diagnose the problem." Anyway, I bought the car by paying off the $400 for the "work they had done" and paying the PO a couple hundred. I got the car home and installed a tranny, but there are two ETCSs and only one connector. What gives? Is this normal?

shawn

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ShawnV's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ShawnV reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ShawnV is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-07-2012, 11:42 AM   #2
fetchitfido
fetchitfido is a splendid one to beholdfetchitfido is a splendid one to beholdfetchitfido is a splendid one to beholdfetchitfido is a splendid one to beholdfetchitfido is a splendid one to beholdfetchitfido is a splendid one to behold

1996 SC2
1997 SW2
Default Re: 96 SOHC ETCS - no connector?

Sounds perfectly normal when they have put a '93-'95 motor in a '96-'02.

Either take both out to check which is the 2 wire or assume it's the bottom one like it's supposed to be.

Collection of S-Series info: "https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B5D8XfJgavxrdE5mcHBlMG5rbUU&usp=sharing"
3 ECTS pigtails, 1 ECTS FS

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 12:13 PM   #3
OldNuc
OldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant future

1998 SC2

The sensor in the correct one is isolated from ground so an ohmmeter will detect the correct sensor and the ECTS connector is not supposed to fit on the gauge sensor. The correct position is the lower hole.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 01:25 PM   #4
ShawnV
Master Member
ShawnV is a jewel in the roughShawnV is a jewel in the roughShawnV is a jewel in the rough

1996 SW2
2003 VUE 2.2L

Interesting. So I have a gen 1 SOHC? Is this good, bad, or neutral? The tranny I installed was a 2001 and the wagon drives real nice.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help ShawnV reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-07-2012, 01:40 PM   #5
adventureoflink
Master Member
adventureoflink has a spectacular aura aboutadventureoflink has a spectacular aura aboutadventureoflink has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnV View Post
Interesting. So I have a gen 1 SOHC? Is this good, bad, or neutral? The tranny I installed was a 2001 and the wagon drives real nice.
actually, more like gen-2 SOHC, unless they fabricated the PCM and injector wiring, as well as the fuel system. Remember, the first gen SOHC only had 85 HP and used TBI. Everything after that was 100 HP and MPFI.

Amazing that a third gen transaxle was used, unless you have a manual... (SOHC trannies, regardless of auto or manual, had three generations; only thing that changed between gen 1 and 2 was a bigger first gear. DOHC trannies had two generations. http://www.differentracing.com/tech_...gearratio.html)

97 SL2
DOB: 3/19/97
Date Obtained: 5/30/07

2004 Merc G.Marquis GS
DOB: 2/4/04
Date Obtained: 7/6/12

Last edited by adventureoflink; 04-07-2012 at 01:49 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to adventureoflink's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help adventureoflink reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
adventureoflink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 02:56 PM   #6
ShawnV
Master Member

1996 SW2
2003 VUE 2.2L

Yea, I used a 2001 Auto in it and it drives very well.

shawn

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-07-2012, 03:31 PM   #7
OldNuc
OldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant future

1998 SC2

It will function just fine, as you found out. What did you do about the right hand axle seal to the intermediate shaft?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-07-2012, 03:32 PM   #8
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnV View Post
96 is Gen-2... first year.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-07-2012, 03:46 PM   #9
PurdueGuy
Master Member
PurdueGuy is a jewel in the roughPurdueGuy is a jewel in the roughPurdueGuy is a jewel in the rough

1999 SC2
1999 SC1

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
Depends on what part you're talking about. He's referring to the engine, indicating that '91-'94 would be the first design of SOHC, '95+ the MPFI second design.

SaturnSeries.net owner

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to PurdueGuy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help PurdueGuy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
PurdueGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 05:19 PM   #10
OldNuc

1998 SC2

It is the PCM, not engine that determines what trans is going to function correctly.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-07-2012, 05:20 PM   #11
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
The head is Gen-1 but you will have to locate the block number to see what the block is as it may only be a head transplant.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-08-2012, 01:10 AM   #12
madpogue
madpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to behold

1996 SW2

Must be a '95 head. TBI SOHC head won't work with an MPFI intake. To your "good thing / bad thing" question, if the original engine didn't run and this one does, it's a "good thing".

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 08:30 AM   #13
ShawnV
Master Member

1996 SW2
2003 VUE 2.2L

I had the car at my GF's house and I just got it back to take some pics:

She's deciding if she wants to drive it instead of the gold 98 sc she's been driving.

It's pretty clean and in good shape. It had a baseplate on it and still has the wiring from being TOAD'd. I'm not a huge fan of the green though. I have a 2000 SW2 also that I just transplanted an engine into, but it's green as well

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-08-2012, 11:47 AM   #14
madpogue
madpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to behold

1996 SW2

Yuh, gotta be a '95 head. You could look at the engine number; engine and tranny numbers are right next to one another, along the engine/tranny seam up front by the igntion module. Last six digits should match those of the VIN. That'll tell you if it's an engine transplant or a head transplant. And it looks like either they plugged the ECTS connector into the wrong sensor, or they put an actual ECTS into that gauge sender hole in the head. What does the temp gauge do?

Isn't green an appropriate color for a TOAD?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-09-2012, 11:54 AM   #15
alordofchaos
Master Member
alordofchaos is just really nicealordofchaos is just really nicealordofchaos is just really nicealordofchaos is just really nice

1998 SL2
1997 SC2

Need MOAR saturns in driveway!

What's up with the sticker on the airbox? Never seen one of those before.

...Wait, what, I actually won that eBay auction? Guess I now (12/2008) own a 1998 SL2, silver, 5 spd :p 102k @ purchase, now 169k
And now (7/2010), a Craigslist 1997 SC2, white, 5 spd

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 09:49 PM   #16
ShawnV
Master Member

1996 SW2
2003 VUE 2.2L

So she decided she liked this 96 SW1 better than the 97 SC2 she's been driving. My question is should I be looking at 1995 SW1 parts for it? I wanted to do plugs and wires but I'm not sure WTF it is...

The car's got Cruise but manual locks. I'm wondering about adding power locks. Does anyone know if it's already wired up and I can just install the locks and new PCM?

shawn

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-01-2012, 10:18 PM   #17
madpogue

1996 SW2

Power locks don't work through the PCM. You'd need an RKE module. IIRC, Low Saturn recommends wiring an aftermarket power lock system, but using the factory door switches and actuators.

As for the engine, since it's running in a '96 car, it's most likely running the original '96 fuel system, ignition, PCM, etc., so parts replacement would be '96.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-01-2012, 11:42 PM   #18
cityhawk
Master Member
cityhawk is a jewel in the roughcityhawk is a jewel in the roughcityhawk is a jewel in the rough

1993 SW2
2001 L-Series 3.0L Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by alordofchaos View Post
Need MOAR saturns in driveway!

What's up with the sticker on the airbox? Never seen one of those before.
Not just Saturns, but more Saturn wagons!

Saturns:
1993 SW2 MT 138,000 hard Boston city miles ("Rozzie")
2001 LW300 ("Elle")
Gone but not forgotten: 1999 SW2 MT
Project cars:
1966 Corvair Monza convertible
1928 Ford Model A Tudor Sedan

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cityhawk's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cityhawk reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cityhawk is online now   Reply With Quote