SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Astra > Astra General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-05-2011, 09:28 PM   #101
onizuka78
onizuka78 is on a distinguished road

Default Re: New Astra Specific Head Unit

All sold out as per the website

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to onizuka78's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help onizuka78 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
onizuka78 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-06-2011, 07:30 AM   #102
jarrow
jarrow is on a distinguished road

I just received and email from Enon.com stating the units were back in stock.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jarrow's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jarrow reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jarrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 09:17 AM   #103
nebbie69
nebbie69 is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallNewfie View Post
Are you guys both from Europe? Of have you both upgraded to the CID? I hear that it's a bit of a headache to do?

As for the BID, I thought that it did show info on the display, but I'm not sure about radio station and info. Try asking Outtafocus or some of the others in this thread that have the unit. I would be interested in knowing the answer.
I have the standard display can see in my pictures, sometimes what ever you have displaying like "inst. consumpt." stays up on the screen, sometimes its blank. No radio, cd, mp3 info is shown on the factory display.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to nebbie69's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help nebbie69 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
nebbie69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 12:27 PM   #104
tallNewfie
tallNewfie is on a distinguished road

2009 Astra XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebbie69 View Post
I have the standard display can see in my pictures, sometimes what ever you have displaying like "inst. consumpt." stays up on the screen, sometimes its blank. No radio, cd, mp3 info is shown on the factory display.
Oh, well that's disappointing. Still, I will probably still get it when I get the cash.
And fyi, the base display is referred to as a BID. The CID is the colour one that they were able to upgrade to in europe. I used to be totally confused by the terminology when I first started reading about it.

~~Bryan~~

2009 Astra XE - manual, wired FM mod
2001 SC2 - manual, sunroof (retired)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to tallNewfie's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help tallNewfie reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
tallNewfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 12:29 AM   #105
svincentl
svincentl is on a distinguished road

Happy Re: New Astra Specific Head Unit

nebbie69

Thanks for the great info. That makes a lot of sense. Should have my unit by next week. Install should be simple given these wires just need to be capped off.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to svincentl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help svincentl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
svincentl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 11:40 PM   #106
nebbie69

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by svincentl View Post
nebbie69

Thanks for the great info. That makes a lot of sense. Should have my unit by next week. Install should be simple given these wires just need to be capped off.
The wires are already capped off, really all you need to do is plug it in.
The hardest parts of the job are routing the usb and ipod cable to where you want them, finding a place for the gps antenna(I now have it on the metal plate at under the ebrake), getting the radio to go in all the way with all the new wires(I left all the rca wires off the unit since Im not using any amps etc..),
I also had to file a bit of the metal bracket that the radio locks in to.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help nebbie69 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-08-2011, 09:40 AM   #107
tallNewfie

2009 Astra XE

Do you get good enough reception from where you have the GPS antenna placed? I have head of people running it up around the windshield to get better reception.
Also, do you have good radio reception? That had been a problem for some people who got the radio.

Thanks.

~~Bryan~~

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help tallNewfie reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-08-2011, 05:56 PM   #108
NJastra
NJastra is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Do you get good enough reception from where you have the GPS antenna placed? I have head of people running it up around the windshield to get better reception.
Also, do you have good radio reception? That had been a problem for some people who got the radio.

Thanks.
I have a different unit (VXMMI) and routed the GPS and iPod connectors into the glove compartment and it works well. Might be an option for you as well.

-Jon-

3 dr XR, Twilight Blue, 5 speed manual, 18" 5-star rims, Leather trim package, Heated seats, VXMMI (Advanced Audio)

1987 Z28 - modded

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to NJastra's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help NJastra reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
NJastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 06:53 PM   #109
nebbie69

2008 Astra XR

GPS reception is good I get 4 out of 5 bars for the most part.
I have no problem with the radio reception, only thing I dont really like about the radio is the rds display is so small.

I also put the ipod and usb connectors in the glovebox, I passed them through the glove box cooling switch hole.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-08-2011, 09:10 PM   #110
tallNewfie

2009 Astra XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebbie69 View Post
GPS reception is good I get 4 out of 5 bars for the most part.
I have no problem with the radio reception, only thing I dont really like about the radio is the rds display is so small.

I also put the ipod and usb connectors in the glovebox, I passed them through the glove box cooling switch hole.
Well, it's good to hear that reception is not bad.

I had routed my FMMOD MP3 hookup through the cooling hole, but since I am getting a cooling switch this month, I have had to run it back under the shifter and up between the seats. I just have to take the time to permanently install it into the plate under the handbrake. I can't remember who it was off hand who did that on here, but it looks pretty sweet.

~~Bryan~~

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-09-2011, 09:05 AM   #111
nebbie69

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Well, it's good to hear that reception is not bad.

I had routed my FMMOD MP3 hookup through the cooling hole, but since I am getting a cooling switch this month, I have had to run it back under the shifter and up between the seats. I just have to take the time to permanently install it into the plate under the handbrake. I can't remember who it was off hand who did that on here, but it looks pretty sweet.
Like I had said I don't know about more rural areas or if you listen to far away stations. But for me 99% of everything I listen to comes from a antenna less the 50kms away. (and 90% of the time Im listening to my ipod or usb so Im not the best to ask about radio)

I would probably drill a hole to the lower shelf if I couldnt use the cooling switch hole.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-07-2012, 03:08 PM   #112
outtafocus
outtafocus is on a distinguished road

Any one else pick up one of these head units?
Any body have a long term review they would like to share?

08 Astra XR/SRi 3Door, Star Silver, 18" Penta Alloys, Irmscher Boot Spoiler
16" SRi Alloys, Kumho I'Zen Winter Tyres, Yakima roof rack, Rockymounts Pitchfork,
Eonon D5107, Blue LED conversion

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to outtafocus's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help outtafocus reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
outtafocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 10:55 PM   #113
blackastra
blackastra is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR
2008 AURA XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by outtafocus View Post
Im too lazy to actually click the link, but if its that EON on or however its spelt, there were a few members on this forum who had it. They said it was an easy conversion and the sensors had no problem with our computers. Theres a thread somewhere about it...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to blackastra's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help blackastra reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
blackastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 12:47 AM   #114
nebbie69

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Well I've had the unit for over a yr now, I still like it. It does all I want.
Only things I find negative are.
The screen sucks somewhat in direct sunlight.
Radio reception is weak.
The gps is kinda pointless you need to do a picture in a picture thing I would go with a separate gps.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-08-2012, 10:30 AM   #115
outtafocus

I keep saying Im going to buy one of these units, but I just havent been able to click the buy button.

I was going to trade in the Astra, but finances wont let that happen for a while.
So I think its time to order one up. They are showing as out of stock at the moment, hopefully they are back in stock soon.

As for the GPS, im really not that interested in GPS any way. I usually listen to Sirius radio so reception wont be an issue either.

16" SRi Alloys, Kumho I'Zen Winter Tyres, Yakima roof rack, Rockymounts Pitchfork,

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help outtafocus reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-05-2012, 09:50 AM   #116
outtafocus

My Eonon D5107 arrived this week.

Amazing fast shipping, I ordered on April 25th(late night), was emailed a tracking number on the 27th(very early morning here), first delivery attempt was on April 30th.
I did not want to sign my life away and allow the unit to be dropped off with out me seeing it first. So I was waiting for the package to go back to the DHL depot and I would just go pick it up there. However, instead of trying only 2 times like they are supposed to the driver decided to hang on to it and try to deliver 3 times. When all I wanted was to pick it up. Even though I called and asked if a second attempt could be cancelled, it could not. Forgot to mention, the first delivery attempt was at 16:15, I walked into my house at 16:20. I must have been pulling into one end of my complex as the driver pulled out the other end.

The unit comes very well packaged. Completely surrounded by a foam block and thick foam to boot. I was pretty impressed with the Eonon logo on the box, simple yet looks very sharp.

The unit its self feel to be of high quality. I didnt know what to expect but seems to be well made. I have not yet installed or powered up the unit but will post up when I do.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-05-2012, 09:27 PM   #117
phatfire6
Advanced Member
phatfire6 will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XR

I kinda missed out on the newer Eonon D5111. It looks like the software might be a little nicer, yet it has its nuances that give it parity with the D5107. It had problems where many of them shipped out without the clips to lock it in, as well as the antenna plug sticking out to far in the back, keeping the receiver from installing correctly. Either way, if they come out with another batch, I'd like to get my hands on one.

@outtafocus, will you be converting LEDs on this one to match your current setup?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to phatfire6's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help phatfire6 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
phatfire6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 09:46 PM   #118
outtafocus

The LEDs in the D5107 are changeable. You can pick from blue, pink and redish orange.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-20-2012, 10:51 AM   #119
Terra Nova
Terra Nova is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
My Eonon D5107 arrived this week.

The unit its self feel to be of high quality. I didnt know what to expect but seems to be well made.

I have not yet installed or powered up the unit but will post up when I do.
How did the install of your Eonon D5107 go ?

And, assuming all is running well, how you like it's performance / features etc. so far ? Any glaring ' dislikes ' ?

My daughter recently acquired a 2008 2 door Astra " XR " 3 door and would like to eventually upgrade the stereo to something that could accommodate her iPhone 4, usb's, and give her blue tooth connectivity etc.

The Eonon would seem to be a perfect solution ...all while maintaining the OEM look of the dash.

Welcome your thoughts

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Terra Nova's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Terra Nova reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 04:08 PM   #120
outtafocus

I have only "kinda" installed the D5107. I need to run my RCA cables and remote amp turn on from the hatch to the back of the head unit, so I only did a quick job popping it in. I cant even get it to click in because I havent bothered to move all the wires around back there, I will need to pull the glove box to be able to guide the wires to where they need to sit.

As for operation, seems decent. The menu navigation is a little odd, but you will easily get used to its quirky operation.

Sound is by far better than stock, the volume on my old CDC40 would always turn its self down, and was the biggest reason I wanted the D5107.

I would recommend it for sure.

I dont know because I dont use an Iphone, but I dont believe the unit supports Iphone 4.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!