SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-07-2012, 09:27 AM   #1
JimGarb
JimGarb is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 2.2L
Default Change Oil Soon New VUE owner

Hi, I've been following the the Vue forums since February of this year when I got my Vue.

I have an 03' 4 CYL 5 Spd, I love it, got it at 108k.

I've hit 111K (just under the 3k mark).

I did some searching (good solid Hour) of the forums and found 13 posts of the Change Oil Soon light but none had the answer to my specific question.

So my question is the following:
The change oil soon light comes on when the car starts, and stays on for about 10 seconds and then turns off. I read that people's do that when the oil has just been changed and hasn't been reset. I haven't done the oil change yet (I'm still under the 3K). Is it normal for it to come on for only ten seconds and go off? Should I be expecting it to stay solid until I change the oil?

Thanks for any assistance you may provide. And it's been great reading this resource for the past few months as I have already learned so much about my Vue.

-Jim

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to JimGarb's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help JimGarb reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
JimGarb is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-07-2012, 09:45 AM   #2
Chazberry
Master Member
Chazberry is a name known to allChazberry is a name known to allChazberry is a name known to allChazberry is a name known to allChazberry is a name known to allChazberry is a name known to all

2003 VUE 3.0L
2007 VUE 3.5L
Default Re: Change Oil Soon New VUE owner

Welcome Jim
Don't feel bad - I'm still not exactly sure how this VUE OLM works.
Sometimes Google will do a better job of finding things on this forum than the in-house search tool. Try this thread . . .
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=137477

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Chazberry's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Chazberry reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Chazberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 09:46 AM   #3
Tom92SCm
Master Member
Tom92SCm has a spectacular aura aboutTom92SCm has a spectacular aura about

2004 VUE 2.2L

Was the light reset at the last change?

And as far as I know, when the OLM determines the oil needs to be changed, the light comes on for 10ish seconds when you start start the engine. I've never let mine go too long to know if the light becomes more solid.

Not a Saturn.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tom92SCm's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tom92SCm reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Tom92SCm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 12:03 PM   #4
RedGeminiPA
RedGeminiPA will become famous soon enough

2004 VUE 3.5L

It's been about 5k since my last oil change in my '05, at which point the light was doing what you describe. The light hasn't signaled it's time for another change yet, but I'm expecting it to be about any day now.

The light will need reset when you perform an oil change. From the sounds of it, it may not have been reset with the last change. I'd say it's rare for the light to signal a change anywhere near the 3k mark.

Avid Apple, car and vacuum enthusiast. Don't hate! ;)

Current:
'04 FWD 3.5L

Previous:
'05 AWD Red Line
'02 L200

http://www.facebook.com/SaturnFansNorthEast

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RedGeminiPA's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RedGeminiPA reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
RedGeminiPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 12:18 PM   #5
BobbyP
Master Member
BobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really nice

2006 VUE Red Line
2007 SKY

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedGeminiPA View Post
It's been about 5k since my last oil change in my '05, at which point the light was doing what you describe. The light hasn't signaled it's time for another change yet, but I'm expecting it to be about any day now.
You need to get a ScanGaugeII and program it to display your oil life %.

It makes you smile when you drive good and see high city mileage, and it can make you sad when you drive bad...

2006 Black VUE Red Line - Now running iOS 7 Beta 7

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BobbyP's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BobbyP reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BobbyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 01:25 PM   #6
onefunkar
Master Member
onefunkar has a spectacular aura aboutonefunkar has a spectacular aura aboutonefunkar has a spectacular aura about

2008 Outlook XR
2007 AURA XR

from what i remember of the first style vues the oil change light does what you said and after a while will stay on signaling time for an oil change. unless you do really tought driving the last person that changed the oil forgot to reset olm.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to onefunkar's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help onefunkar reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
onefunkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 01:29 PM   #7
fdryer
fdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant future

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimGarb View Post
...So my question is the following:
The change oil soon light comes on when the car starts, and stays on for about 10 seconds and then turns off. I read that people's do that when the oil has just been changed and hasn't been reset. I haven't done the oil change yet (I'm still under the 3K). Is it normal for it to come on for only ten seconds and go off? Should I be expecting it to stay solid until I change the oil?
From the service manual;

The change oil soon telltale is turned ON by the cluster for 2-3 seconds, when the ignition is turned to RUN, for a visual system check.

Your OCI most likely was never reset when oil was replaced, since it remains on longer than 2-3 seconds. Resetting is done manually after replacing oil to reset the pcm program to begin a new count. Either review your owner's manual about this procedure, search threads here or ask if members know the procedure. When you find out how to reset the OCI, either drive another few thousand miles and change oil/filter then reset the OCI or change oil and filter now and reset the OCI. Make a note in your logs somewhere so you can decide whether to use the OCI as a reminder to change oil or use your personal preference. Either way, the OCI will turn on and will need to be reset unless you remove or tape over the lamp/LED.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 01:32 PM   #8
JimGarb

2003 VUE 2.2L

Chaz, thanks for the Welcome

Tom, as for your question, I have no idea if the reset button was used or not on last oil change. I've had the Car since February and it was purchased from a used car dealership.

I checked the oil and it doesn't appear dark at all. (I do love that this car doesn't burn or leak anything)

Bobby, that looks like an AWESOME tool, haha.

Lastly, Onefunker, I don't drive it too rough. I switched from a 95 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 5.2L V8 to this. I learned (at 13 MPG) to accelerate slowly. Of course it had been a few years since I had driven stick, (the new Vue is a 5 SPD) so I guess I've been a little rough on that.

But thanks for the help. I assume I should hold off until like 4 or 5 K for the change. I'm going to switch to Mobile 1 Synthetic after reading that it improves "morning sounds." (I hear a slight pinging for the first 2 minutes on a cold start)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help JimGarb reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-07-2012, 01:35 PM   #9
JimGarb

2003 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
From the service manual;

The change oil soon telltale is turned ON by the cluster for 2-3 seconds, when the ignition is turned to RUN, for a visual system check.

Your OCI most likely was never reset when oil was replaced, since it remains on longer than 2-3 seconds. Resetting is done manually after replacing oil to reset the pcm program to begin a new count. Either review your owner's manual about this procedure, search threads here or ask if members know the procedure. When you find out how to reset the OCI, either drive another few thousand miles and change oil/filter then reset the OCI or change oil and filter now and reset the OCI. Make a note in your logs somewhere so you can decide whether to use the OCI as a reminder to change oil or use your personal preference. Either way, the OCI will turn on and will need to be reset unless you remove or tape over the lamp/LED.
Fdryer, thanks for this. I had read the manual and saw that it does that at first start, but this is the first time it has stayed on for a longer time. I plan to hold off until a 5k mark for changing oil and filter.

I've been keeping track of fillups and any service with this free App I downloaded for my Android Smart Phone called "aCar" It works awesome and helps to track my gas mileage and spending per month. Very handy little App.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-07-2012, 01:45 PM   #10
fdryer
fdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant future

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Well, if you're holding off until 5k miles then you may like the GM OCI as it customizes every vehicle to the driver and vehicle use to arrive at an ideal mileage to replace oil. In NYC, my L300 lets me know anywhere from 5k to 7k miles before the OCI tells me to replace oil. That's fine for me.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 12:10 AM   #11
sideup66
sideup66 is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 2.2L

I follow a simple rule since I dont drive my vue too terribly mile wise during the years. Maybe about 10,000 a year ill put on it. More along the lines of 6000 now with living away at school the car does alot more sitting. I set the OLM at the last change when I switched it over to mobil 1. (Yes it does help with the "morning sounds" as mine tends to make a raspy noise when first starting on conventional, mobil 1 quieted that, probably the timing chain making a racket while getting going or somthing)

Anyway, I put the mobil 1 in, and am driving 6,000 mi on the mobil 1, this will synchronise the car with a tire rotation as it would need that in the next 1000 miles anyway, why not do it all at once? I figure ill change it every 6 unless the change oil light comes on first, then I will change it sooner according to that.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sideup66's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sideup66 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
sideup66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 12:02 PM   #12
RedGeminiPA
RedGeminiPA will become famous soon enough

2004 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyP View Post
You need to get a ScanGaugeII and program it to display your oil life %.

It makes you smile when you drive good and see high city mileage, and it can make you sad when you drive bad...
That looks pretty sweet. I'll have to look into one when I get the extra cash...

Avid Apple, car and vacuum enthusiast. Don't hate! ;)

Current:
'04 FWD 3.5L

Previous:
'05 AWD Red Line
'02 L200

http://www.facebook.com/SaturnFansNorthEast

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RedGeminiPA's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RedGeminiPA reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
RedGeminiPA is offline   Reply With Quote