SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion Mods
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Advanced Forum Search | Advanced Photo Search

Old 04-07-2012, 12:20 AM   #1
n0obsl4y3r
n0obsl4y3r is on a distinguished road

Default Turbo on the 4 door sedan

So i was thinking about selling my 2003 ion 3 4 door sedan, completely stock, mainly because im so sick of not having horse power at all, thought about the red line a bit, my buddy has one that he was gonna sell but isnt anymore, i dont know a whole lot about cars, but since my cars worth pretty much nothing i was wondering if i wanted a turbo, around how much would it cost, what do i need, and is it possible with this piece i have sitting in my driveway. lol thanks

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to n0obsl4y3r's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help n0obsl4y3r reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
n0obsl4y3r is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-07-2012, 12:35 AM   #2
DracoAzule
DracoAzule is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Turbo on the 4 door sedan

I know you'd probably need a new computer for the car that knows how to operate the turbo.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DracoAzule's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DracoAzule reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
DracoAzule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 05:07 PM   #3
SilverSpectre
SilverSpectre is on a distinguished road

2007 ION-3 Quad Coupe
2006 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by n0obsl4y3r View Post
So i was thinking about selling my 2003 ion 3 4 door sedan, completely stock, mainly because im so sick of not having horse power at all, thought about the red line a bit, my buddy has one that he was gonna sell but isnt anymore, i dont know a whole lot about cars, but since my cars worth pretty much nothing i was wondering if i wanted a turbo, around how much would it cost, what do i need, and is it possible with this piece i have sitting in my driveway. lol thanks
Couple issues here:

1. You are concerned about not having enough horsepower ins a SATURN ION SEDAN.
2. You are jumping straight to slapping in a turbo charger.
3. You say you don't know a lot about cars.

I feel like it's my duty to put the 'kabash' on your thread right here, namely in that you could get yourself some very bad advise otherwise and blow your car to kingdom come.

I think your best bet would be to educate yourself to the best of your ability about how your ION works and THEN consider modification. If you want more horsepower, start with looking at a larger exhaust, a short RAM or cold air intake or a larger intake manifold. If you want better acceleration, lighten up your car. Lighter wheels work great.

If down the road you feel like you know enough about your ION to consider more serious modification (such as a turbo charger) I'd say go for it. But here's the deal: turbo chargers are not something you just slap in the engine compartment and expect to get the desired result. There is a LOT of work involved, on top of spending a lot to time and money to get it just right so that you don't cause catastrophic failures in your engine or drive train.

Bottom line - consider some other options first. ION's are great to work on and you can have a great street car if you put some thought into it (I raced and beat a modified BMW 325i yesterday and I have no turbo).

Or you could hunt down a Redline. Up to you.

2007 Saturn Ion 3 QC - "The Silver Spectre"
Resurrected 12/29/11

OZ Allegerita Wheels, FE5 Suspension w/ adjustable end links, Eibach Pro Kit, Progress Rear Sway Bar, TWM Short Shifter

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SilverSpectre's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SilverSpectre reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SilverSpectre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 07:50 PM   #4
2006 ion2
Master Member
2006 ion2 will become famous soon enough2006 ion2 will become famous soon enough

2007 ION-2 Sedan

I agree, a turbo should be a "last resort" of sorts, unless you know what you're doing/talking about/getting into. early ions are not suitable for turbochargers, however, all ions take well to "bolt on" power adders, like an intake and exhaust.

your car isn't worthless, and it's not a "piece", you just need to learn what you have and how to make it what you want. mine only has bolt ons, a tune and one small suspension mod, and it's a completely different car than the one I bought.

2007 Saturn Ion 2
2003 Chevrolet venture lt

trifecta dealer for the U.P. and WI. There is no two door ion. Proudly driving one of the last saturns produced before gm killed the brand.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2006 ion2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2006 ion2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2006 ion2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 06:58 PM   #5
n0obsl4y3r
n0obsl4y3r is on a distinguished road

Alright thanks a lot, im gonna start with the exhaust i think and work from there. My friend with the red line is pretty good with cars so he should be able to help me with putting everything on and picking out the right parts.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to n0obsl4y3r's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help n0obsl4y3r reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
n0obsl4y3r is offline   Reply With Quote