SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Aura > Aura General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Advanced Forum Search | Advanced Photo Search

Old 03-31-2012, 09:55 PM   #1
PeterXR
PeterXR is on a distinguished road

Default How similar is the Aura XR to the Vectra VXR?

I'm not sure how similar these two cars are but Top Gear's Clarkson tests the Vauxhall Vectra and apart from the acceleration it isn't very flattering. It is actually quite funny as he tests the understeer and then gives up on the steering wheel as being useless.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FHLzWwghmU

Last edited by PeterXR; 03-31-2012 at 10:06 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to PeterXR's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help PeterXR reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
PeterXR is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-02-2012, 03:45 PM   #2
golftango
golftango is on a distinguished road

2009 AURA XE
Default Re: How similar is the Aura XR to the Vectra VXR?

The only thing they share is the same Epsilon platform. Actually, the Aura is on a stretched version of the Epsilon platform.

'09 Saturn Aura XE (sold 2013)
'11 Kia Optima LX
'09 Mazda 5 Grand Touring

Last edited by golftango; 04-02-2012 at 03:51 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to golftango's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help golftango reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
golftango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 06:14 PM   #3
whiteshadow
whiteshadow is on a distinguished road

the aura sucks in the handling dept. straight line power in the xr ( 3.6 ) is great. if you wanted a quick AND good handling car, and you bought an xr...you bought the wrong car. dont get me wrong, i like my xr. just dont expect it to handle worth a shiat.

07 aura xr
98 explorer 5.0
93 miata, not stock
77 f150

im not nice

number of times ban.T

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to whiteshadow's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help whiteshadow reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
whiteshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 07:06 PM   #4
PeterXR
PeterXR is on a distinguished road

Well, in a straight line I agree this car really kicks, but in the corners, as you increase the cars power, I think that the power starts to work against you.
This is not the case when you look at a RWD car.

With respect to the show, Clarkson appears to drift every car he can around every bend on his track. The better he can get the car to drift by flooring it, the better he claims the car to be. Now take a 250 hp FWD car like the Aura XR and floor it around a corner, you would expect that as the tires light up (as they would!!) you would no doubt experience "severe understeer". This is no surprise to me and if he expects it to turn in sharply "under these conditions" he doesn't understand or respect the physics of FWD.

So, do all FWD cars have this behavior to some degree? Most likely, that is why all the great handling cars are either RWD or AWD. Just my two cents...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to PeterXR's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help PeterXR reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
PeterXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 05:56 PM   #5
carlover
carlover is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XR

Don't know what you guys have been doing but, with good rubber, inflated slightly higher than the factory recommends, the XR has amazing handling for a sedan. With the addition of a strut tower brace it is absolutely incredible.
c

Drive like you mean it, keep the rubber side down.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to carlover's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help carlover reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
carlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 06:27 PM   #6
whiteshadow

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlover View Post
Don't know what you guys have been doing but, with good rubber, inflated slightly higher than the factory recommends, the XR has amazing handling for a sedan. With the addition of a strut tower brace it is absolutely incredible.
c
umm gotta disagree with you there. its heavy, and handles like shait. now my miata, that corners like its on rails. but im sure if i did the same to my XR that i did to the miata, it would handle better.

07 aura xr
98 explorer 5.0
93 miata, not stock
77 f150

im not nice

number of times ban.T

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help whiteshadow reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-10-2012, 08:41 AM   #7
AuraDrvr89
Master Member
AuraDrvr89 will become famous soon enough

2007 AURA XE

Essentially they are two completely separate cars. Even though they are both on the "Epsilon" platform, it's even modified from the Vectra.

When I was in Europe, I saw several, and it's easy to see how different they really are.

Even the styling bears only a vague resemblance.

-Joel

Now: 2009 BMW 328i xDrive, Monaco Blue Metallic
Then:
2007 SATURN AURA XE,Cream White
2004 Saturn Ion 3 Special Edition Sedan, Onyx Black

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to AuraDrvr89's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help AuraDrvr89 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
AuraDrvr89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 09:37 AM   #8
unkle bik
Master Member
unkle bik is a jewel in the roughunkle bik is a jewel in the roughunkle bik is a jewel in the roughunkle bik is a jewel in the rough

2007 AURA XR
2008 Astra XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteshadow View Post
umm gotta disagree with you there. its heavy, and handles like shait. now my miata, that corners like its on rails. but im sure if i did the same to my XR that i did to the miata, it would handle better.
Uh, yeah.
I suppose if the miata handled like an Aura, you would call it a "shiata"?...

93 SW2
96 SL2
01 SL2
02 L200
08 Astra Xe
07 Aura XR

Complacency leads to mediocrity.
Mediocrity leads to our demise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to unkle bik's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help unkle bik reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
unkle bik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 01:21 PM   #9
carlover

2008 AURA XR

Quote:
I did say "for a sedan". They are not really comparable. I can say, for sure, that my XR out-handles the Ford Contour SVT that I used to own...and the XR is larger.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help carlover reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-10-2012, 04:00 PM   #10
whiteshadow

face it, the aura is not a performance sedan. its just a 4 door saturn. nothing fancy, its got good power and handles like shiat. its just the way it is, dont blame me for the craptastic handling of the car.

07 aura xr
98 explorer 5.0
93 miata, not stock
77 f150

im not nice

number of times ban.T

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-14-2012, 05:26 PM   #11
carlover

2008 AURA XR

Quote:
face it, the aura is not a performance sedan. its just a 4 door saturn. nothing fancy, its got good power and handles like shiat. its just the way it is, dont blame me for the craptastic handling of the car.
The Aura XR is as close to as close to a performance sedan as you will find in a FWD mid-size car in the US. Just ask the "sport" sedan drivers that have had their doors blown off in the twisties. Not that I have done that . Don't blame me if you can't drive it to its potential.
c

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-16-2012, 06:57 AM   #12
DigitalSaturns
DigitalSaturns is on a distinguished road

I think that craptastic troll is full of midsize sedan shiat.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DigitalSaturns's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DigitalSaturns reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
DigitalSaturns is offline   Reply With Quote