SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Mods
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Advanced Forum Search | Advanced Photo Search

Old 03-29-2012, 04:47 PM   #1
fixityourselfer
fixityourselfer is on a distinguished road

Default sending head out for machining

I want to send out my dohc head out and get it machined down a little and raise compression.

when i took it off I see there are small indentations in the piston for 2 of the valves.

can this head be machined a little to raise compression, or will ir cause the piston to hit the valves?
if there is some clearance, how much?

the shop can do 1/1000th, or 50/1000ths, or anywere in between, etc etc.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fixityourselfer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fixityourselfer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fixityourselfer is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-29-2012, 04:55 PM   #2
fetchitfido
fetchitfido is a name known to allfetchitfido is a name known to allfetchitfido is a name known to allfetchitfido is a name known to allfetchitfido is a name known to allfetchitfido is a name known to all

1996 SC2
1997 SW2
Default Re: sending head out for machining

.020"-.040" I believe is what people usually do. The more you shave the head, the more shaving the timing cover the same amount becomes a good idea.

Verify the head and block haven't already been cut down. You don't want to find out the hard way the block's been cut down and cut down the head...pretty sure someone recently had that happen

My collection of S-Series info: "https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B5D8XfJgavxrdE5mcHBlMG5rbUU&usp=sharing" (copy & paste between quotes)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 05:39 PM   #3
fixityourselfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fetchitfido View Post
.020"-.040" I believe is what people usually do.
does this apply to our dohc saturns? or are you saying a general rule?

I'm just nervous about this specific motor after having seen those 2 indentations in each piston. that seems to indicate that the valves go into those indentations when the piston is at the top.

do I still have enough clearance between the piston top and the valves to grind off .020"-.040" on this specific engine?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help fixityourselfer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-29-2012, 06:00 PM   #4
fetchitfido
fetchitfido is a name known to allfetchitfido is a name known to allfetchitfido is a name known to allfetchitfido is a name known to allfetchitfido is a name known to allfetchitfido is a name known to all

1996 SC2
1997 SW2

Back when SDA sold performance DOHC head's they gave the option of .020", .030" and .040" decking/shaving. Much more then .040 and your getting close to the service limit of ~.060".

I believe the indentations are more of a "just in case" rather then every revolution thing.

If you can think of it to ask(about modifying), somebody already has...a couple of times, on here: www.sixthsphere.com

My collection of S-Series info: "https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B5D8XfJgavxrdE5mcHBlMG5rbUU&usp=sharing" (copy & paste between quotes)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 06:50 AM   #5
fixityourselfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fetchitfido View Post
Back when SDA sold performance DOHC head's they gave the option of .020", .030" and .040" decking/shaving. Much more then .040 and your getting close to the service limit of ~.060".

I believe the indentations are more of a "just in case" rather then every revolution thing.

If you can think of it to ask(about modifying), somebody already has...a couple of times, on here: www.sixthsphere.com
I disagree with your sig about the bag of scorpions.
that would apply to european vehicles like my fwd volvos and saab. they're a man made pain in the neck

the saturns are so simple and straightforward in comparison never mind the parts are so much cheaper

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-31-2012, 09:11 PM   #6
fixityourselfer

I wonder if I could get away with machining the head like .015 or so and still use regular gas?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-31-2012, 09:35 PM   #7
ThDude
ThDude is on a distinguished road

1998 SC2
1993 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixityourselfer View Post
I wonder if I could get away with machining the head like .015 or so and still use regular gas?
depends on what you call regular gass, some stations use 87 octain as regular and others use 89(most do around here anyway i think) though i could be wrong.

i guess it depends on how hot this mod makes the engine doesent it?

1998 saturn sc2, 175,000 miles.

1993 saturn SL1 sedan, at least 560,000 miles before a cracked cylender head blew.

1994 nissan 300zx t top, 90k miles. currently restoring.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ThDude's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ThDude reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ThDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 10:01 PM   #8
PlasticCarsRock
Master Member
PlasticCarsRock is a jewel in the roughPlasticCarsRock is a jewel in the roughPlasticCarsRock is a jewel in the rough

1995 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixityourselfer View Post
You can take off a lot more than that and still use regular gas, but it's not a good idea. The PCM will automatically retard the timing to prevent pinging, which will result in loosing power and mileage. With any significant shave, the decrease in mileage would make the regular gas more expensive than premium (because you'd use more of it).

With a mild shave like .015" you might be able to save money with regular fuel, but it would depend on a lot of factors (climate, driving style, fuel quality, etc, etc). With anything more significant than that, it's often more economical to use premium.

If you want to maximize power, you need premium. Even with the stock compression ratio, premium fuel will sometimes get you a bit more power by allowing more aggressive timing (technically it doesn't increase power, just prevents you from loosing it due to knock retard).

High compression build: .033" shaved/ported head, flat-faced valves; gen3 rods, pistons, tie-plate; OE header, custom CAI, SDA street cams with adjustable sprockets, WBO2, SAFCII, LSD. ASE A1-A8+L1

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to PlasticCarsRock's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help PlasticCarsRock reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
PlasticCarsRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 10:19 PM   #9
OldNuc
OldNuc has much to be proud ofOldNuc has much to be proud ofOldNuc has much to be proud ofOldNuc has much to be proud ofOldNuc has much to be proud ofOldNuc has much to be proud ofOldNuc has much to be proud ofOldNuc has much to be proud ofOldNuc has much to be proud ofOldNuc has much to be proud of

1998 SC2

With a fresh rebuild and the dual intake cam mod premium costs less per mile than 87 and there is no contest with 89 even with the 5 cent Iowa discount, the 89 is a looser.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 03:22 AM   #10
NWSaturn247
NWSaturn247 is on a distinguished road

1993 SL2

How about blending in some e85 to up the octane?

1993 SL2 AT - 106k
running PP 5w-20/5w-30 & Motorcraft FL-400s

:-) Adding TC-W3/MMO to the gas with positive results (-:
Choose the red pill

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to NWSaturn247's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help NWSaturn247 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
NWSaturn247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 07:42 AM   #11
OldNuc
OldNuc has much to be proud ofOldNuc has much to be proud ofOldNuc has much to be proud ofOldNuc has much to be proud ofOldNuc has much to be proud ofOldNuc has much to be proud ofOldNuc has much to be proud ofOldNuc has much to be proud ofOldNuc has much to be proud ofOldNuc has much to be proud of

1998 SC2

The 89 fuel is E-10 and the BTU difference is sufficient to drop fuel mileage sufficiently to make it not cost effective to use.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is online now   Reply With Quote