SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-29-2012, 11:59 AM   #1
JerryHughes
Master Member
JerryHughes is on a distinguished road

1997 SL
Default Change oil interval article---again

http://autos.yahoo.com/news/how-do-y...your-car-.html

I only posted this because it does say that "older" models, like my 97 SL, do need to change oil at the 3K period. Newer cars don't but I'll stick to the 3K for my older Saturn.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to JerryHughes's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help JerryHughes reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
JerryHughes is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-29-2012, 12:03 PM   #2
alordofchaos
Master Member
alordofchaos is just really nicealordofchaos is just really nicealordofchaos is just really nicealordofchaos is just really nice

1998 SL2
1997 SC2
Default Re: Change oil interval article---again

I'm going to do what the picture shows, next time I need a funnel - cut off an old soda or juice bottle! We have a bottle deposit law, so soda bottle will cost 10 cents, still more convenient and cheaper than buying a plastic funnel

...Wait, what, I actually won that eBay auction? Guess I now (12/2008) own a 1998 SL2, silver, 5 spd :p 102k @ purchase, now 169k
And now (7/2010), a Craigslist 1997 SC2, white, 5 spd

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 01:11 PM   #3
Sidneyaks
Sidneyaks is on a distinguished road

2002 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by alordofchaos View Post
I'm going to do what the picture shows, next time I need a funnel - cut off an old soda or juice bottle! We have a bottle deposit law, so soda bottle will cost 10 cents, still more convenient and cheaper than buying a plastic funnel
The mobil qt bottles fit RIGHT in the oil fill cap on saturns. They move around less than pop bottles, thus less chance of spilling.

Read twice, Wrench once
Don't have time to do shade tree work, I'm a midnight mechanic.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Sidneyaks's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Sidneyaks reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Sidneyaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 01:13 PM   #4
NWSaturn247
NWSaturn247 is on a distinguished road

1993 SL2

How much oil is consumed to produce a new car? I will stick to 3k-4k OCI

1993 SL2 AT - 114k
running PP 5w-20/5w-30 + Purolator PL 20195

:-) Adding TC-W3/MMO to the gas with positive results (-:
Choose the red pill

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to NWSaturn247's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help NWSaturn247 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
NWSaturn247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 01:16 PM   #5
alordofchaos
Master Member
alordofchaos is just really nicealordofchaos is just really nicealordofchaos is just really nicealordofchaos is just really nice

1998 SL2
1997 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidneyaks View Post
The mobil qt bottles fit RIGHT in the oil fill cap on saturns. They move around less than pop bottles, thus less chance of spilling.
good to know, thanks, but I buy 5qt bottles, usually

...Wait, what, I actually won that eBay auction? Guess I now (12/2008) own a 1998 SL2, silver, 5 spd :p 102k @ purchase, now 169k
And now (7/2010), a Craigslist 1997 SC2, white, 5 spd

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 04:04 PM   #6
fdryer
fdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant future

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Does your '97 have the 'oil change reminder' indicator?

From the '98 service manual;
Change Oil Soon Telltale

The change oil soon telltale is turned ON by the cluster when it receives a command from the PCM. The change oil soon telltale is commanded ON based on a calculated value of time and mileage. This indicates to the operator of the vehicle that the oil should be changed as soon as possible.

If your '97 has one then all you're doing is trumpeting the same old school ideas that 3k mile oil changes are still needed when its proven otherwise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 06:40 PM   #7
brags
Advanced Member
brags will become famous soon enoughbrags will become famous soon enough

1996 SL1

5,000kms or 3;000 miles for this guy

" Any man that doesen"t share his knowledge in cars is wrong to do !"

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to brags's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help brags reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
brags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 06:42 PM   #8
bountyhunter
Advanced Member
bountyhunter will become famous soon enoughbountyhunter will become famous soon enough

1992 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryHughes View Post

I only posted this because it does say that "older" models, like my 97 SL, do need to change oil at the 3K period. Newer cars don't but I'll stick to the 3K for my older Saturn.
Depends on type of service. Even new cars need the short change interval if the service is mostly short trip/city usage.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bountyhunter's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bountyhunter reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bountyhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 07:54 PM   #9
TXSaturn02
Master Member
TXSaturn02 will become famous soon enoughTXSaturn02 will become famous soon enough

2002 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
Does your '97 have the 'oil change reminder' indicator?

From the '98 service manual;
Change Oil Soon Telltale

The change oil soon telltale is turned ON by the cluster when it receives a command from the PCM. The change oil soon telltale is commanded ON based on a calculated value of time and mileage. This indicates to the operator of the vehicle that the oil should be changed as soon as possible.

If your '97 has one then all you're doing is trumpeting the same old school ideas that 3k mile oil changes are still needed when its proven otherwise.
Who started this oil war? I started using this indicator - for me it has been coming on around 4,500 miles. I haven't been waiting for it to come on simply because I've had free oil changes at the dealership and wanted to take advantage of it so I was changing it around 4000 miles. But, I'm waiting for 'dummy' light to come on again for the next one (or unless I get a good deal on an oil change after 4K miles). They put a lot of research into this - I trust it.

A new quote by yours truly.

"Only the dead have seen the end of oil wars."

2002 SL2 Manual - new in November, 2001
Sticker: $13,995 As of 10/14/14: 196,411 Miles

2013 Mazda 3 HB - new in October 2012
Sticker: $20,850 As of 10/14/14: 11,704 Miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TXSaturn02's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TXSaturn02 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
TXSaturn02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 08:22 PM   #10
JerryHughes
Master Member
JerryHughes is on a distinguished road

1997 SL

[QUOTE=fdryer;1861825]Does your '97 have the 'oil change reminder' indicator?QUOTE]

Nope, no indicator. (That would make it too easy)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to JerryHughes's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help JerryHughes reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
JerryHughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 09:00 PM   #11
mattwithcats
Advanced Member
mattwithcats is on a distinguished road

2002 SL2
1998 SL2

Put a vibration hour meter in the car.

At 60 hours dino, and 200 synthetic, change the oil....

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mattwithcats's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mattwithcats reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mattwithcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 09:09 PM   #12
madpogue
madpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to behold

1996 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattwithcats View Post
Put a vibration hour meter in the car.
PCMs should have cumulative engine run hour meters programmed into them. Kinda sucks that they don't.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 11:38 PM   #13
adventureoflink
Master Member
adventureoflink has a spectacular aura aboutadventureoflink has a spectacular aura aboutadventureoflink has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL2

I never the OCI in Saturns existed in 1998.. I thought that was a 3rd gen thing only

97 SL2
DOB: 3/19/97
Date Obtained: 5/30/07

2004 Merc G.Marquis GS
DOB: 2/4/04
Date Obtained: 7/6/12

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to adventureoflink's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help adventureoflink reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
adventureoflink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 02:17 PM   #14
Chris Lemieux
Chris Lemieux is on a distinguished road

1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by adventureoflink View Post
I never the OCI in Saturns existed in 1998.. I thought that was a 3rd gen thing only
My 98 doesn't have one. I just went over 5k with Mobil 1

Over 200k now too.

2000 LS2 Blackberry-sold
2003 LS1 Silver-sold
2004 VUE V6 AWD Black-sold
1998 SL2 Dark Green w/ 193k.. -Current

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Chris Lemieux's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Chris Lemieux reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Chris Lemieux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 03:31 PM   #15
fdryer
fdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant future

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Ok, I must admit I'm wrong about the OCI indicator for '98 and '99's. After researching the drawings and text of the service manuals, text explanations includes the OCI but not in the electrical drawings until model year 2000, 3rd generation S-series. OCI's are included in the group of LED's for MY-2000 and up. My bad.

This still doesn't alter my personal opinion about old school attitudes insisting on oil changes every 3k miles. Improved oil formulas and better machining tolerances (as shown by nearly perfect honing patterns left on rebuilt Saturns) tend to demonstrate how well engines can last without paying close attention to oci's whether its 3k, 5k or 8k miles. Rebuilding shows little wear on cylinder walls but doesn't explain encrusted oil/compression rings that fail. And not from lack of oil changes as a blank statement. Oil/compression rings or valve seals that fail are the main reasons for short engine life, not 3k mile oci's. The few that have rebuilt Saturns with modified oil return holes don't seem to have oil issues. And some are either clinging to 3k oci's or not. That remains to be seen in the long run if any of them post updates.

As reported in news accounts, Europeans tend to be more forward thinking about oci's simply because of practical economics (higher gas and oil prices) forcing car owners to maximize their spending against wear and tear with no appreciable premature decline in engine wear. This concept is lost in America.................

Oh, and this isn't another oil war debate. This is about oci's.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 04:37 PM   #16
dbetz
dbetz will become famous soon enoughdbetz will become famous soon enough

1999 SW2
2000 SL

Quote:
As reported in news accounts, Europeans tend to be more forward thinking about oci's simply because of practical economics (higher gas and oil prices) forcing car owners to maximize their spending against wear and tear with no appreciable premature decline in engine wear. This concept is lost in America.................
Another thing that sometimes people don't realize is just how expensive autos are in Europe. Doing a quick internet search (to make sure I am not WAY off base), a Ford Focus 1.6 L 5Door, BEFORE adding *options* such as AC, Auto, PS, and ABS ranges from $25,000 to $33,000 depending on which country it is purchased in (in the Euro zone). In Denmark (before options), they pull in $48,500. With prices like that, coupled with wages that iirc tend to be less than in the US, I can see why people would be more picky about making sure their cars were kept in tip top shape.

Here in the US, cars are much more of a "throw-away" item, and I can see why people don't care as much about keeping them in shape. "Buy new every two" and who cares about whether or not you took care of it.

Thanks! David

1999 SW2 Auto 150k miles; Dark Plum Metallic
2000 SL 5-Speed 214k miles; Silver

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dbetz's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dbetz reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dbetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 05:23 PM   #17
TXSaturn02
Master Member
TXSaturn02 will become famous soon enoughTXSaturn02 will become famous soon enough

2002 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbetz View Post
Here in the US, cars are much more of a "throw-away" item, and I can see why people don't care as much about keeping them in shape. "Buy new every two" and who cares about whether or not you took care of it.
Europeans pay more for their cars and yet they keep them longer and do less 'oil maintenance'. What does that tell you? The oil companies have just done a better job of 'conditioning' Americans to think that they need those oil changes. Just like they had them mostly convinced that it is the American dream to own a house and that you 'can't go wrong by buying a house.'

Do your homework - choose wisely. I've read about people who neglect oil changes and still their cars last a long time. Others take care of their cars meticulously and their cars either break down or, worse, get totaled in an accident. My biggest concern isn't proper maintenance - it is with the idiot texting and driving (or putting on their make up).

2002 SL2 Manual - new in November, 2001
Sticker: $13,995 As of 10/14/14: 196,411 Miles

2013 Mazda 3 HB - new in October 2012
Sticker: $20,850 As of 10/14/14: 11,704 Miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TXSaturn02's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TXSaturn02 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
TXSaturn02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 05:42 PM   #18
OldNuc
OldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant future

1998 SC2

Quote:
Ok, I must admit I'm wrong about the OCI indicator for '98 and '99's. After researching the drawings and text of the service manuals, text explanations includes the OCI but not in the electrical drawings until model year 2000, 3rd generation S-series. OCI's are included in the group of LED's for MY-2000 and up. My bad.

This still doesn't alter my personal opinion about old school attitudes insisting on oil changes every 3k miles. Improved oil formulas and better machining tolerances (as shown by nearly perfect honing patterns left on rebuilt Saturns) tend to demonstrate how well engines can last without paying close attention to oci's whether its 3k, 5k or 8k miles. Rebuilding shows little wear on cylinder walls but doesn't explain encrusted oil/compression rings that fail. And not from lack of oil changes as a blank statement. Oil/compression rings or valve seals that fail are the main reasons for short engine life, not 3k mile oci's. The few that have rebuilt Saturns with modified oil return holes don't seem to have oil issues. And some are either clinging to 3k oci's or not. That remains to be seen in the long run if any of them post updates.

Oh, and this isn't another oil war debate. This is about oci's.
I run ~15,000 miles with oil samples. Aftermarket pistons with the correct drain back ports. Engine had 134,000 miles when rebuilt and cylinder wear was ~0.004 so it was bored 0.5mm over. Oil consumption is effectively zero for the change interval. Current mileage is 177,000 miles. The oil carbonizing on the pistons is the result of hypereutectic pistons. The drain holes will allow the carbonized oil particles to drain past the rings as is required. This carbonizing can be reduced or totally eliminated by using a 100% PAO base oil.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 08:57 AM   #19
brags
Advanced Member
brags will become famous soon enoughbrags will become famous soon enough

1996 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryHughes View Post

who ever wrote this article on oil changes does not now what there talking
about the part thats real B.S. to me is it goes on to say thanks to better
lubricants and tighter tolerances the 3.000 mile oil change does not apply.
to many cars on the road and it goes on to mention that a BMW 3 series
under ideal conditions can go 15,000 miles before needing an oil change

Ouch.! that one sent shivers up my spine! who can drive under ideal conditions? the truth is there are no ideal conditions. we all drive under sever conditions. ex: stop and go ,idiling in traffic ,high speed driving more than 70 miles an hour all fall in sever conditions i use mineral oil and change it at 3,000 miles am i waisting money and oil no. if Your running synthetic you can

go 5,000 miles i wouldent go anymore obviously who wrote this article is probably not A well enough educated and B is not a engineer because if You show this to any good tecntion they will Laugh Out Loud and over LOL! it just
does not make any sense from a Longevity point of View.

" Any man that doesen"t share his knowledge in cars is wrong to do !"

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to brags's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help brags reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
brags is offline   Reply With Quote