SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion Mods
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-25-2012, 01:01 AM   #1
DracoAzule
DracoAzule is on a distinguished road

Default Having trouble with HID setup

Hey guys. SO yesterday I ordered this HID setup.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...00_i00_details

Hi/lo beam HID setup complete with ballast and relay harness. It came in the mail today and I installed it shortly after. Doesn't look that bad.

http://i.imgur.com/9Fie8.jpg

Yea I'm using the factory housing, too lazy to retrofit anything. Besides a friend of mine who does it professionally said if I can't find any headlight housings for my car that were made that way from the factory it wouldn't be worth it anyways because you can never get them to seal back right. And they're not actually that blue or that bright.

Anyways the problem is my high beams don't work. Also even when I don't have my high beam switch on, the high beam indicator stays lit up.

So what's the deal here?

Last edited by DracoAzule; 03-25-2012 at 01:08 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DracoAzule's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DracoAzule reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
DracoAzule is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-25-2012, 05:03 AM   #2
2006 ion2
Master Member
2006 ion2 will become famous soon enough2006 ion2 will become famous soon enough

2007 ION-2 Sedan
Default Re: Having trouble with HID setup

then your wiring or the kit is wrong. re check the wiring with the schematic.

2007 Saturn Ion 2
2003 Chevrolet venture lt

trifecta dealer for the U.P. and WI. There is no two door ion. Proudly driving one of the last saturns produced before gm killed the brand.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2006 ion2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2006 ion2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2006 ion2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 11:05 PM   #3
DracoAzule

The wiring schematic that came with it was vague.

But I found out I probably need a canbus system. I'm looking at this one.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...A2O4SHG4W8VUQY

However it doesn't say if it's high beam, low beam, or both.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help DracoAzule reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-27-2012, 01:28 PM   #4
MeanGreen
MeanGreen is on a distinguished road

2004 ION-2 Sedan

The kit I bought was awesome, bi-xenon, so they have high and low beam. Go to euroeffects.net and check them out. They were also very helpful in making sure I got exactly what I wanted. I ended up with the 4300k 35w bi-xenon (high and low beam HID) it was a bit pricey but install was a cinch and they have a lifetime warranty

2004 ION 2 Sedan
-Autozone short ram
-FE5 Suspension with Pedder springs
-4300k Hi-lo HID
-OPTX green underglow
-35% tint all around
-Kicker Audio all around

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MeanGreen's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MeanGreen reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
MeanGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 03:05 PM   #5
DracoAzule

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeanGreen View Post
The kit I bought was awesome, bi-xenon, so they have high and low beam. Go to euroeffects.net and check them out. They were also very helpful in making sure I got exactly what I wanted. I ended up with the 4300k 35w bi-xenon (high and low beam HID) it was a bit pricey but install was a cinch and they have a lifetime warranty
Friend of mine referred me to this.

http://www.hidoutlet.net/9007-3-bi-x...rsion-kit.html

It's bi-xenon, canbus compatible, and $69.95

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-28-2012, 04:13 PM   #6
MeanGreen

2004 ION-2 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DracoAzule View Post
Friend of mine referred me to this.

http://www.hidoutlet.net/9007-3-bi-x...rsion-kit.html

It's bi-xenon, canbus compatible, and $69.95
Not sure what telescopic means as far as these lights go, I'm assuming it moves the bulb in and out of focus (in focus for lows and out of focus for highs) so I'm not sure if that's what you want, also a problem dealing with companies like this is they sell to you then disappear...bad reviews of this seller:

http://www.resellerratings.com/store...Sun_HID_Outlet

also...in doing things like this to "class up" your ride, sometimes it's better to pay more, there's way too many people in my town with cheapo 9000k and 6000k kits out blinding drivers, the ones in mine arent blinding and 4300k is the highest light output and looks like the color it should be, not all ricey and blue

2004 ION 2 Sedan
-Autozone short ram
-4300k Hi-lo HID
-OPTX green underglow
-35% tint all around
-Kicker Audio all around

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help MeanGreen reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-29-2012, 12:36 AM   #7
DracoAzule

Well I looked at your website...couldn't find any ones that said bi-xenon. I did some more searching and found these. http://xenonhidconversionkit.com/900...t-35w-hid-kit/

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-29-2012, 09:41 AM   #8
MeanGreen

2004 ION-2 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DracoAzule View Post
Well I looked at your website...couldn't find any ones that said bi-xenon. I did some more searching and found these. http://xenonhidconversionkit.com/900...t-35w-hid-kit/
I emailed the EFX guys, told them what I had and hopefully will hear back but not sure how soon, those look pretty good and for a good price....I was thrown a little when they say they use "brand name" components yet they don't name any names and the ballast literally says "ballast" lol

2004 ION 2 Sedan
-Autozone short ram
-4300k Hi-lo HID
-OPTX green underglow
-35% tint all around
-Kicker Audio all around

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-29-2012, 11:11 AM   #9
2006 ion2
Master Member
2006 ion2 will become famous soon enough2006 ion2 will become famous soon enough

2007 ION-2 Sedan

Out says bi xenon all over the page. They're "ballast" brand, lol

2007 Saturn Ion 2
2003 Chevrolet venture lt

trifecta dealer for the U.P. and WI. There is no two door ion. Proudly driving one of the last saturns produced before gm killed the brand.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2006 ion2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2006 ion2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2006 ion2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 11:26 AM   #10
DracoAzule

Well I did too but they haven't emailed back yet.

Also I meant to link to this one.

http://xenonhidconversionkit.com/900...st-55w-hid-kit

Same thing, but it's canbus compatible.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-01-2012, 12:09 AM   #11
MeanGreen

2004 ION-2 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006 ion2 View Post
Out says bi xenon all over the page. They're "ballast" brand, lol
Tried looking for Ballast brand ballasts....found nothing, just seems like the 1966 Batman movie where everything was labeled obviously what it was i.e. "Shark Repellent Bat Spray" lol

Seems like a Chinese knock-off kit, found one similar, same "ballasts" http://www.aliexpress.com/store/8003...-warranty.html regardless it's an H4 bulb, but you get my drift

Either way I still stick to my guns of this isn't a mod you exactly want to skimp the money on, what you pay for is what you get

...Also Draco, you might want to watch 35w/55w differences, our housings already aren't exactly focused for HID bulbs, so a 55w kit will definitely get people flashing their brights at you and possibly catch some cop's eye as well if they are real picky around you

2004 ION 2 Sedan
-Autozone short ram
-4300k Hi-lo HID
-OPTX green underglow
-35% tint all around
-Kicker Audio all around

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-01-2012, 09:22 PM   #12
DracoAzule

Well I'm also talking to that guy again. He said he could find some used headlight housings in a junkyard or some place and retrofit them if I wanted. He could even paint the reflectors black and add in some angel eyes. I might do that, and then just keep my current ones stock just in case.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-01-2012, 10:10 PM   #13
MeanGreen

2004 ION-2 Sedan

Good plan. If the junkyard ones are near about $80 go to ebay and snag a pair of new ones, it' be worth it to have fresh lenses and housings, I got a pair and are having the bezels painted gunmetal at a shop now, I didn't realize how crazed and dull my lenses were until these new ones came in lol

2004 ION 2 Sedan
-Autozone short ram
-4300k Hi-lo HID
-OPTX green underglow
-35% tint all around
-Kicker Audio all around

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-02-2012, 12:31 PM   #14
DracoAzule

lol well the headlights I got right now I got off amazon for $80 for the pair. Even included bulbs. They weren't the best bulbs but still. I might just order a new pair of those.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-02-2012, 01:50 PM   #15
DracoAzule

Do any of you know where I can pick up a pair of angel eyes that will fit in my car?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-03-2012, 03:24 AM   #16
Samtherecordman
Samtherecordman is on a distinguished road

2007 ION-3 Quad Coupe

In your harness system is right.... you should have that relay somewhere... and you should have that connected directly to your battery or Fuse Box. Its either the installer screw up on the install or the Kit is not made for both position or the kit is missing some important pieces.

The kit I got is manufactured by Philips and is very High Quality....and was long to install, with a million wires, relays and it should connect directly to your battery. But the light works the same way it did before when I had the OEM lights installed which is what I wanted.

Some kits does not let you have high and low beams cause they are being L Cheapo No Name Brand... just not worth to spend money on half quality items in my opinion.

Saturn Ion 3 Quad Coupe 3 with Sports Appearance package with Aura Pro Bass Shakers under the front seats, Kenwood Excelon Mono Amplifier and Infinity Kappa Perfect and I'm In Heaven!!!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Samtherecordman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Samtherecordman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Samtherecordman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 01:17 AM   #17
DracoAzule

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samtherecordman View Post
In your harness system is right.... you should have that relay somewhere... and you should have that connected directly to your battery or Fuse Box. Its either the installer screw up on the install or the Kit is not made for both position or the kit is missing some important pieces.

The kit I got is manufactured by Philips and is very High Quality....and was long to install, with a million wires, relays and it should connect directly to your battery. But the light works the same way it did before when I had the OEM lights installed which is what I wanted.

Some kits does not let you have high and low beams cause they are being L Cheapo No Name Brand... just not worth to spend money on half quality items in my opinion.
Well the ones I bought are canbus compatible bi-xenon with a lifetime warranty included. So it shouldn't throw the error anymore, and my high beams should hopefully work.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-04-2012, 06:51 AM   #18
Samtherecordman
Samtherecordman is on a distinguished road

2007 ION-3 Quad Coupe

Glade to hear that. Final result was two purchase total ??

Lesson to learn from all this is that it should have Can-Bus Compatible...

Saturn Ion 3 Quad Coupe 3 with Sports Appearance package with Aura Pro Bass Shakers under the front seats, Kenwood Excelon Mono Amplifier and Infinity Kappa Perfect and I'm In Heaven!!!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Samtherecordman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Samtherecordman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Samtherecordman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 12:14 PM   #19
DracoAzule

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samtherecordman View Post
Glade to hear that. Final result was two purchase total ??

Lesson to learn from all this is that it should have Can-Bus Compatible...
Yup. I sent back the first ones though and got a full refund. Tax, shipping and all.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-07-2012, 12:31 AM   #20
DracoAzule

Got my new ones.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xY1DOOkeepY

REWARD EXCELLENCE!