SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Astra > Astra General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-18-2011, 04:06 PM   #21
Saergae
Saergae is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR
Default Re: Anyone have problems with the air condition?

I have a 5 door automatic and I live in AZ, my AC works awesome and no power drain when I turn it on, just about a minute or 2 before I get ice cold air after the car is sitting in the sun and 100 degree temps. I do get a nast smell from vents right away when I turn it on but that dissapears after a few minutes.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Saergae's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Saergae reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Saergae is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-23-2011, 02:50 PM   #22
Haps
Haps is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

I find my A/C doesn't cause too much of a noticeable power decrease, but it does cause the RPM's to drop MUCH more quickly... Which does make it difficult to catch the revs on the way down for a nice smooth 1 - 2 shift. It also increases my fuel burn by 0.4-0.6 L/Hour at idle.

In other news, it's cold enough. Even on days with a Humidex of 40 like today. I do notice it's colder on the highway though... Not sure if this is due to extra airflow or just RPM's being up over 3000... I normally cruise around town in 4th, so this could be.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Haps's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Haps reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Haps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 12:06 PM   #23
C152
C152 is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XE

Hi,

Weird thing. I have noticed that there isn't much condensor drip when I use the A/C. My wife's 2007 Civic would piss water, but not my Astra. Also, I noticed that after quite a bit of use this past Saturday, there was some dripping and for a long time. The little puddle was there a until Sunday. Is there some kind of overflow bottle that slowly releases the condensation? Just to be sure, I did check and it was water. Any thoughts?

Kind Regards,
C152

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to C152's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help C152 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
C152 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 04:00 PM   #24
Poley Coley
Poley Coley is on a distinguished road

The clutch on my AC compressor went at 130 000 km on my 08' Astra and had to be replaced. You guys are right on the power drain too.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Poley Coley's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Poley Coley reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Poley Coley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 12:12 AM   #25
red86
red86 is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR
2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

My AC doesn't seem to be working at all. I've had the freon checked and the compressor's been gone over and it all seems to be in good order, but when I have the AC on the coldest setting and the fan on 4 all I seem to get is room temperature air blowing at me

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to red86's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help red86 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
red86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 11:37 AM   #26
chadbt
chadbt is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by red86 View Post
My AC doesn't seem to be working at all. I've had the freon checked and the compressor's been gone over and it all seems to be in good order, but when I have the AC on the coldest setting and the fan on 4 all I seem to get is room temperature air blowing at me
Seriously - I'm not trying to be sarcastic, but are you turning the AC on?

The little snowflake button turns the AC on and off. If the AC was checked, as you say, that check should have measured the air temp coming from a vent.

"Checked...in good order" is hard to interpret as anything other than "it works."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to chadbt's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help chadbt reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
chadbt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 05:20 PM   #27
red86

2008 Astra XR
2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Yes the AC is on (and yes I know which snow flake is the correct one) Like I said though, the compressor and the freon have both been checked and working, just no cold air.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help red86 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-08-2012, 07:05 PM   #28
vanilla sky
vanilla sky is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

My guess is a blend door issue. Have you checked the center vent temp at all? I use a cheap digital cooking thermometer, the kind you use for checking your meat for doneness. See if there is any difference between when it the AC is "on" and when it's off. Also check to see if you're getting heat. I'm assuming that the compressor clutch cycling has been checked, but check that out, too.

If the compressor cycles, then that part of the system is working. If it doesn't cycle, I'd look at the AC pressure switches. If you can jump the sensor and the clutch engages, then you know that switch is bad.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to vanilla sky's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help vanilla sky reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
vanilla sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 07:04 AM   #29
red86

2008 Astra XR
2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

The blend door is behind the dash right? If so then this should be all sorts of fun. lol

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-11-2012, 04:15 PM   #30
vanilla sky
vanilla sky is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Yes, behind your dash. I'd want to be pretty sure that's really the issue, because removing dashboards is a pain.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to vanilla sky's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help vanilla sky reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
vanilla sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 04:33 PM   #31
Tom S2
Advanced Member
Tom S2 will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by red86 View Post
Yes the AC is on (and yes I know which snow flake is the correct one) Like I said though, the compressor and the freon have both been checked and working, just no cold air.
please dont take this wrong. make sure the temp wheel is all the way to the left/cold. I thought mine was wacked, and it turns out a passenger turned the knob a bit thinking it was the volume knob. it was summer and i scratched my head for a few days wondering why it wasnt as cold.... a wonderful Homer DOH!!! moment for me.

Astra XR-3-5 HP - Hamster Powered!
Dealer added options, & Infinity speakers.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tom S2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tom S2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Tom S2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 11:28 AM   #32
red86

2008 Astra XR
2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom S2 View Post
please dont take this wrong. make sure the temp wheel is all the way to the left/cold. I thought mine was wacked, and it turns out a passenger turned the knob a bit thinking it was the volume knob. it was summer and i scratched my head for a few days wondering why it wasnt as cold.... a wonderful Homer DOH!!! moment for me.
Yea the knob is all the way to the left. I'm the only one that drives in the car so I know exactly what it's set to. The dash will be a pain to remove but I'd rather replace a $38 part than pay for an entire new AC unit.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-13-2012, 04:01 PM   #33
fdryer
fdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant future

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by one028 View Post
I have an 08 saturn astra and sometimes the air will blow warmer, then turn cold, warm, then cold.....it happens periodically....its been in the shop and they cant find anything wrong...
Maybe you need to try another shop. Most shops see a/c repairs as good for business and would happily spend your money to get your system to work right. Is this shop GM or a local garage? Were you around to observe any tests done?

Does the cooling fan run when the a/c is turned on? Does cooling only work at speed and then warm when stopped at lights or local traffic?

*The CPS is the heart of the entire EFI system. No cps = dead EFI system*
*There's more to a/c than just a few cans of refrigerant*
*There's more to brakes than just replacing parts*

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 06:21 AM   #34
red86

2008 Astra XR
2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

It's a local garage. The tests were preformed right in front of me, and other than checking the freon pressure I double checked everything when I got home to make sure. The mechanic hasn't done me wrong yet but I always like to make sure I'm not getting screwed. To be honest I haven't been outside of the car to see if the fan's running or not, but the car's not overheating so I assume it's working. I'll have to take a look at that later today to make sure.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-14-2012, 10:48 AM   #35
fdryer
fdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant future

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

red86, I was directing my questions to the OP about the fan running; its usually turned on, not for overheating but to ensure the condenser coil is cooled off. The fan is needed in most a/c systems to cool off the condenser coil and since this coil is in front of the radiator, guess where the heat blows into? Even if the fan isn't running, the condenser coil will become hotter and cause an intermittent cooling effect; in stop and go traffic the lack of air flow without a fan will make the a/c seem like it something went wrong but with steady speed, air flow will help cool off the condenser coil. All this heat flows into the radiator and it stays warmer than normal and that can lead to overheating. The fan turning on during a/c use ensures a constant air flow through both coils but especially to keep the a/c condenser coil cooled off to allow normal a/c use.

Some vehicles will have more than one fan speed; low for initial a/c use, medium in warmer weather, and high for very hot summer stop and go traffic.

*The CPS is the heart of the entire EFI system. No cps = dead EFI system*
*There's more to a/c than just a few cans of refrigerant*
*There's more to brakes than just replacing parts*

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 12:07 AM   #36
JMOD
JMOD is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob15468 View Post
i don't have that problem at all. i usually have to turn it off because it gets too cold inside. lol
So far thats how mine is too

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to JMOD's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help JMOD reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
JMOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 09:24 AM   #37
C152
C152 is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XE

Hi all,

Last month we had a heat wave in Montreal so I got the chance to use my A/C (or as I like to call it, the supplemental braking system) then the temperatures returned to normal and went back to the heater. All was well, yesterday, I used the A/C again, only this time I got this horrid, musty smell coming after I turned it off. I had this happen last year and IIRC, they replaced the evaporator or condensor under warranty. This time, if this is the culprit, it will cost me $$$.

Has this been a problem with anyone?

Kind Regards,
C152

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to C152's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help C152 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
C152 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 10:17 AM   #38
chadbt
chadbt is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

C152,

Our Astras seem especially susceptible to the stinky a/c problem. Mine certainly had it.

As suggested by many others, I started turning it (the supplemental braking system -) off a couple of minutes before I shut off the car. This allows condensation in the ducts to dry a bit, which prevents the mold/fungus/mildew or what-have-you from growing.

It took a while, but eventually the smell went away. I also think changing the cabin air filter helped.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to chadbt's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help chadbt reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
chadbt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 11:04 AM   #39
DigitalSaturns
DigitalSaturns is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by C152 View Post
Hi all,

Last month we had a heat wave in Montreal so I got the chance to use my A/C (or as I like to call it, the supplemental braking system) then the temperatures returned to normal and went back to the heater. All was well, yesterday, I used the A/C again, only this time I got this horrid, musty smell coming after I turned it off. I had this happen last year and IIRC, they replaced the evaporator or condensor under warranty. This time, if this is the culprit, it will cost me $$$.

Has this been a problem with anyone?
OZIUM unscented follow instructions on can. Next day give it the same treatment with OZIUM orange scented if you'd like.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DigitalSaturns's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DigitalSaturns reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
DigitalSaturns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 12:42 PM   #40
ShaunaLea
ShaunaLea is on a distinguished road

Thank you for posting on this concern. I, too, have a 2008 Astra. I love(d) my car, but at 25k miles (yes, 25k!) we had to have the transmission replaced. Thankfully, I had it in just prior to report the problem and they didn't realize initially what it was - so it did fall under warranty. Now, at 72k miles, warranty coverage is gone, but this A/C issue is recent and dramatic. We noticed first the inconsistent cooling, and then last week, when we engaged the A/C, the engine choked and died. I'm looking at options now, and between your thread, a couple of other online sources (including a youtube vid that sounds just like my car problem), we have a better sense of things - not a cheaper approach, mind you, but at least a better idea of what's going on and how to approach it. Thank you again.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ShaunaLea's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ShaunaLea reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ShaunaLea is offline   Reply With Quote