SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Reference Forums > Miscellaneous Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-14-2009, 05:33 PM   #41
intravino
intravino is on a distinguished road

Default Re: OBD II to USB laptop

Check out these guys for Scan XL that is suppose to come with GM enhanced software in the near future

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to intravino's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help intravino reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
intravino is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-14-2009, 11:47 PM   #42
heavyd10000
heavyd10000 is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by intravino View Post
Check out these guys for Scan XL that is suppose to come with GM enhanced software in the near future
same stuff - Factory site - and cheaper
ScanTool.net

1996 Saturn SL2 1.9L DOHC 5 spd 184K miles (bought 02/09 - Sold 08/2010).
Bought 92 Olds 88 Royale LS - 3800 V6

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to heavyd10000's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help heavyd10000 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
heavyd10000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 05:53 AM   #43
intravino
intravino is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyd10000 View Post
same stuff - Factory site - and cheaper
ScanTool.net
Not true, Carplugs.com is cheaper, scantool does not including shipping and the Scan XL is an option that you have add-on.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to intravino's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help intravino reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
intravino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 11:44 AM   #44
Nightwalker
Nightwalker is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR
2005 ION-2 Sedan

Just bought one of the adapters myself. I kick myself for not having come across this topic earlier... I usually hang out in the Astra area.

This will give me a nice starting point for my CANbus interface module that I'm building. Hopefully I can extract specific codes from the system.

My audio system thread, how to replace speakers: http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=137456

2008 Astra 3 door XR, 5-speed MT Black Sapphire, custom audio system

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Nightwalker's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Nightwalker reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Nightwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 05:58 PM   #45
s-petersen
s-petersen is on a distinguished road

1994 SL2
2002 SL1

I bought the autodoctor unit it seems to work well,I was looking for info on car specific PIDs like trans temp,turbine speed(VSS is already there)tcc on,pl servo on(pwm) etc..I an trying to find out if my trans is slipping, but I can't find the info.Does anyone know?some of the programs let you tailor the pids you examine, using address,receive value (do math)get result
Thanks

1994 SL2 with 220,000, 1994 SC2 with 128,000 Both had reverse slam,SL2,fixed with nuts,SC2 needed valve body-sold,2002 SL1 172,000 needed cat, 1994 Ford Ranger 260,000 1994 SC2 166,000 parts

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to s-petersen's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help s-petersen reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
s-petersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 03:40 PM   #46
carblegal
carblegal is on a distinguished road

Can these read the SRS(airbag) and/or ABS codes through the OBD2 port?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to carblegal's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help carblegal reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
carblegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 12:28 PM   #47
heavyd10000

1996 SL2

Ok had the chance to test another USB OBDII from Ebay, a friend bought one and couldnt get it to work on his laptop.

He bought a more "expensive" one - doesnt mean its better.

and tested both on Proscan software - www.myscantool.com

And found that These both work on Proscan version 5.5 but not on V5.6

And the difference is the version of the chip(bios) The one I have is V1.3 and the other is V1.2 (removable wires)

The V1.3 has more features and can read alot more info.

So i included pics of both, the one with blue graphics is better V1.3.

And if anybody want some good software free, i can help with that.

So if buying a OBDII scanner make sure you get the right version.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ELM327(ok).jpg (67.5 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg OBDII.jpg (20.3 KB, 33 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help heavyd10000 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-21-2010, 03:59 PM   #48
midway
midway will become famous soon enoughmidway will become famous soon enough

2000 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Just curious, have you tested the Pro Scan tool, I know you have tried the software, they are at 5.8 now in software, it looks like the latest software will read just about everything that is used including the codes. I need to study some more.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to midway's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help midway reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
midway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 04:08 PM   #49
heavyd10000

1996 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by midway View Post
Just curious, have you tested the Pro Scan tool, I know you have tried the software, they are at 5.8 now in software, it looks like the latest software will read just about everything that is used including the codes. I need to study some more.
I have not, cause the guy i bought mine from sent me another, and havent broken it yet.

But if i buy another i would buy one that is capable of programming.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-21-2010, 04:21 PM   #50
midway

2000 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

I would like programing ability as well, right now I work for a GMC medium duty truck dealer, we are only parts and service dealer now since GM cut MD trucks, I have access to the Tech II as long as we are dealer and the programing as well, but I do not know for how long, another year maybe longer. I am at work now but getting ready to go home. I would like to find someone who has tested the Pro Scan tool.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help midway reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-25-2010, 11:13 AM   #51
romeroom
romeroom is on a distinguished road

2000 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyd10000 View Post

And if anybody want some good software free, i can help with that.

So if buying a OBDII scanner make sure you get the right version.
Thanks for the tips, Heavy...Now as far as helping with free software, I would appreciate it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to romeroom's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help romeroom reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
romeroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 02:54 PM   #52
GPCBAKER
GPCBAKER is on a distinguished road

1996 SW2

This is an interesting post which I don't understand most of BUT.... what I have used for a few years now is a plug-in device known as a DRIVERIGHT CARCHIP E/X model 8221 M7049D.
This plug-in has worked through 4 computers with different software (2000, XP Pro, Win7 and an older one I can't remember).
I could waste a lot of time trying to explain this unit but if you are interested in the least, check out the site known as DAVIS INSTRUMENTS in Hayward CA. I recently checked my O2 sensors, engine temperature at all speeds (Did I mention this data can be checked down to every second) Battery voltage and other nice to know stuff. Check out the site. I don't remember what I paid for the plug-in but I love the info it collects. It's a money saver too.
I'm not trying to do a fast sell on this item, just wanted other Saturn owners to know it's available. It plugs right in the OBD II port and does it's thing. Remove it, use adapter cord to plug into an USB port and works without downloading software from other media.

Eddie

1999 SL2, My first Saturn. GONE
1996 SW2, My second Saturn

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to GPCBAKER's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help GPCBAKER reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
GPCBAKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 12:50 AM   #53
franknshann
franknshann is on a distinguished road

2002 VUE 3.0L
1994 SL

Will this one or any of the ones you guys are talking about reprogram the transmission control module to the settings required when the TCM is changed?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to franknshann's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help franknshann reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
franknshann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 01:34 PM   #54
midway

2000 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

I believe all the units discussed here are code readers only, you have to buy a lot more expensive unit to program. You will probably have to find someone to reprogram it for you. I wish I could find one that would reprogram that was affordable, I would buy it in a heartbeat. I currently work for a GMC MD truck dealer and have access to everything there, don't know how long that will last, we are parts and service only for now until GM quits supporting Medium Duty trucks, if it lasts that long.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-13-2011, 06:13 PM   #55
franknshann
franknshann is on a distinguished road

2002 VUE 3.0L
1994 SL

Ya my neighbor has a Tec 2 and is able to get all the important things but I was hoping to find something that I can connect thru the wifi and get the car reprogramed when I change the TCM. If there is something that someone other than a tec can purchase that is reasonably priced, well maybe a little more than that, that would be awesome. Any options, devices, software that is halfway user friendly would be great!!! My neighbor would be interested as well.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to franknshann's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help franknshann reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
franknshann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 02:11 PM   #56
ncvue
ncvue is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 3.5L

ok i found a scan tool for the 04 vue and i assume it works on all vues as well as all saturns. been looking at this for a year before i got my vue and thought since i didnt see anything on there about saturn i would ask them about it and here is the response i recieved....

maybe this helps some people. i like the fact its a bi-directional unit and upgradable 4 times a year. it will plug right in to a laptop. i will be updating as soon as i order and test it out.

the site is http://www.autoenginuity.com/index.html

ok its not letting me post pic again so just check out my other thread
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=169910

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ncvue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ncvue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ncvue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 11:37 AM   #57
SL1commuter
SL1commuter is on a distinguished road

1999 SL1
1996 SL1
Default elm 327 bluetooth

don't buy the elm 327 scan tool unless you have a newer phone like the iphone or android to run it via bluetooth, just bought one and it arrived today, I'll either have to sell it or find a way to run blue tooth via my lap top. sucks!

99 SL1 5 Spd $600!! 160k miles
96 SL1 parts car 220k miles
05 Jeep Rubicon- 4.5 BDS Lift, 33's
86 K30 M1008 CUCV Ex Military truck

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SL1commuter's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SL1commuter reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SL1commuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 10:56 AM   #58
trxgt05
trxgt05 is on a distinguished road

2000 SL2
Default Re: elm 327 bluetooth

Quote:
Originally Posted by SL1commuter View Post
don't buy the elm 327 scan tool unless you have a newer phone like the iphone or android to run it via bluetooth, just bought one and it arrived today, I'll either have to sell it or find a way to run blue tooth via my lap top. sucks!
Ok I know this is resurrecting an old thread, but I just wanted to say that you can buy these scan tools that connect via bluetooth or usb. I just got a bluetooth one from amazon for ~$25 and I was just checking up on the included software when I ran across this thread. I plan to use my laptop with it, but the reviews I read for mine said it worked great with the Torque app for smartphones. I don't have a smartphone so I'll stick with my laptop. The disk that came with the reader has all of the same software these others mentioned. I'll reply back when I do get a chance to test it out if anyone shows any interest.

Help! Please go to this URL to help me resolve my current issue: www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=177424

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to trxgt05's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help trxgt05 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
trxgt05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 07:34 AM   #59
midway

2000 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by trxgt05 View Post
Ok I know this is resurrecting an old thread, but I just wanted to say that you can buy these scan tools that connect via bluetooth or usb. I just got a bluetooth one from amazon for ~$25 and I was just checking up on the included software when I ran across this thread. I plan to use my laptop with it, but the reviews I read for mine said it worked great with the Torque app for smartphones. I don't have a smartphone so I'll stick with my laptop. The disk that came with the reader has all of the same software these others mentioned. I'll reply back when I do get a chance to test it out if anyone shows any interest.
How did the scan tool work out?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-02-2012, 09:29 PM   #60
trxgt05
trxgt05 is on a distinguished road

2000 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by midway View Post
How did the scan tool work out?
It actually worked out pretty well. The only problem I had was the program doesn't like to run very well in windows 7. I had to play with the compatibility settings to get it to work right. You have to stick with the version that someone previously mentioned though because even though there are much newer versions out. The newer ones recognize the reader as a clone and won't work with it. The real time data it displays is limited, but just for checking and clearing codes it works great.

Help! Please go to this URL to help me resolve my current issue: www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=177424

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to trxgt05's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help trxgt05 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
trxgt05 is offline   Reply With Quote