SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Advanced Forum Search | Advanced Photo Search

Old 03-17-2012, 02:13 PM   #41
yomama604
yomama604 is on a distinguished road

2004 ION-2 Quad Coupe
Default Re: PeP Boys Suspension Estimate

Quote:
Originally Posted by yomama604 View Post
I tried to record the clunking with the help of my son. What do you think?

http://youtu.be/SyeS9wvy3hE

I jacked up the car to take a look at the passenger side bushing. I didn't see or feel the 2nd bolt that holds the bushing bracket on the passenger side. Is there only 1 screw?

Front side of the bracket.

Best picture I could get of the backside.

Last edited by yomama604; 03-17-2012 at 02:20 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to yomama604's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help yomama604 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
yomama604 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-17-2012, 06:55 PM   #42
ssicarman
ssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to all

If I remeber correctly there is only one bolt per bushing bracket. The end with no bolt has a tab that goes in a slot.

A lousy day in paradise is still a day in paradise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ssicarman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ssicarman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ssicarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 01:04 PM   #43
yomama604

2004 ION-2 Quad Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssicarman View Post
If I remeber correctly there is only one bolt per bushing bracket. The end with no bolt has a tab that goes in a slot.

I checked out the driver side. You were right, easy to get to with the wheel off. Here is a picture, again, only see 1 screw. I hit it with some Liquid Wrench while I wait for the Moog bushings to arrive.

I'm not a bushing expert...but that bushing does not look too bad.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help yomama604 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-02-2012, 05:18 PM   #44
yomama604

2004 ION-2 Quad Coupe

I took a crack at replacing the sway bar bushings. I had both the driver and passenger side on stands. I tackled the driver side first. Easier if you take the wheel off. Getting the bolt off was not an issue (15MM socket), the bracket also came right off (only 1 screw). Getting the bushing itself off isn't bad but you have to get the weight off the bushing by jacking up the suspension. I put a piece of wood on the jack and lifted the rotor.

I put some lube on the sway bar and after a bit of maneuvering with the jack I was able to slide the new bushing in place. The really time consuming part was getting the bracket back on. It took me forever to slide the back end of the bracket into the slot. You are kind of working by feel since you can't really see the slot. Took so long that I ran out of time and didn't get a chance to do the passenger side.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-03-2012, 02:36 PM   #45
yomama604

2004 ION-2 Quad Coupe

VICTORY! I installed the 2nd sway bar bushing, short test drive and the car is clunk free. The passenger side was actually easier than the driver side (more room to maneuver).

Car drives beautifully now. It might be in my head but the steering seems tigther. Would the sway bar bushings effect the steering?

I still hear what I would call ratcheting noise when turning the wheel but I noticed when I had it on blocks that noise is coming from the strut mounts. Someone else mentioned they had the same issue when they replaced the struts and mounts.

Thanks to all of you for your great advice.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-03-2012, 09:14 PM   #46
yomama604

2004 ION-2 Quad Coupe

Here are the culprits. They didn't look too bad but they definitely seemed marginally smaller than the new 20MM new ones from Moog. I suspect they got compressed over the years.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-04-2012, 01:08 PM   #47
black04ion91
black04ion91 is on a distinguished road

2004 ION-2 Quad Coupe

I know it has been a while since this thread has been active but would you possibly have the part number for the Moog bushings? I'm going to be purchasing them as soon as this semester gets out, I can't go another winter with this noise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to black04ion91's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help black04ion91 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
black04ion91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 04:54 PM   #48
Way2QWK
Way2QWK is on a distinguished road

Glad you got it fixed. The sway bar bushings is the first thing to check with front end clunks on Ions. You may get some noise returning from the bushing brackets once the new bushings wear a bit. The 2003 and some 2004 Ions need the brackets replaced along with the bushings to prevent future noise. The brackets were redesigned to avoid possible contact with sway bar

Bulletin No.: 04-03-08-006F

On vehicles built up to and including VIN 4Z125195, replace the front stabilizer shaft insulators (bushings) and clamps.

Saturn Tech and owner of Planet Automotive in Tucson AZ

94 SW2-my daily, custom intake and ported throttle body
2007 Ion 3 2.4L ---custom intake, HP tune, stock Redline coil springs

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Way2QWK's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Way2QWK reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Way2QWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 03:55 PM   #49
yomama604

2004 ION-2 Quad Coupe

Sorry dude, didn't see your post. here is the link to the amazon product.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ls_o04_s00_i00

Quote:
Originally Posted by black04ion91 View Post
I know it has been a while since this thread has been active but would you possibly have the part number for the Moog bushings? I'm going to be purchasing them as soon as this semester gets out, I can't go another winter with this noise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-09-2012, 11:33 PM   #50
snakes
snakes will become famous soon enoughsnakes will become famous soon enough

2005 ION-1 Sedan

Cool! Thanks for sharing the pics and now I know how check mine out . I'm going to go with the moogs or the poly's

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to snakes's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help snakes reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
snakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 08:44 PM   #51
GreetingsfromTX
GreetingsfromTX is on a distinguished road

Oh my goodness I am so happy to read this. Your car sounds exactly like mine and I have spent the same amount on the same things as you and still have the clunking. I am going to tell my mechanic on Monday about the sway bar bushings. Glad I found this site!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to GreetingsfromTX's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help GreetingsfromTX reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
GreetingsfromTX is offline   Reply With Quote