SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-07-2012, 12:10 PM   #1
MikeIndiana
MikeIndiana is on a distinguished road

Default Lucas Oil treatments. Aren't they just a big scam?

I remember I tried one of these Lucas Oil treatments for $6.99, because , like everyone, I figure if it works for $6.99, and saves me from a $500 repair, it's worth a try. And they KNOW you will try it for $6.99, if there's a chance that it works, only it DOESN'T.

I poured it into my power steering because it said it would stop leaks, but of course, it did not.

Anyways, after you've poured it in, you can't really get your money back, I guess that's the beauty of it.

I live in Indianapolis and we have this giant Colts football stadium, paid with Taxpayer money, called Lucas Oil Stadium, because they have gotten so filthy rich of this crap.

Same with that Green gunk they market for repair tires, that doesn't work, the Slime Scam. They have gotten filthy rich scamming people with their worthless product.

I was buying some fuel injector cleaner and now Lucas Oil makes this product too, and I asked why it was twice as expensive, and the guy emphatically replies 'because it's Lucas!!". They now have a reputation as having higher quality products now!!! Unbelievable.

Anyways, there's no way Lucas oil treatments are going to stop your oil from leaking from your engine. The high mileage oil is supposed to have something in it, zinc I think, to make your seals swell up, I usually use that.

And another thing, this whole 'synthetic oil' is kind of misleading. Synthetic oil is not really synthetic oil. It is made from petroleum stock, just like regular oil. Real synthetic oil was invented by the Germans during World War II, and it is used in Jet engines, because REAL synthetic oil IS superior to petroleum derived oil.

Even I put the synthetic oil in though, because I figure, if it costs a few extra bucks and it helps, it's worth it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MikeIndiana's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MikeIndiana reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
MikeIndiana is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-07-2012, 12:13 PM   #2
MikeIndiana

Default Re: Lucas Oil treatments. Aren't they just a big scam?

and regarding the Slime stuff you put in your tires, I have used it in the bicycle inner tubes and it is absolutely worthless, it will not seal the tiniest holes, and makes a horrible mess and ruins your tires.

The are now marketing it in big gallon jugs now for auto tires, I just wish someone would put a stop to all these scams in the auto retail industry.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help MikeIndiana reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-07-2012, 12:18 PM   #3
MikeIndiana

It's like we are turning into a feudal world full of ignorant bumpkins and cunning, lying, cheating, Feudal Lords, forever abusing their serfs, sending them off to fight wars for their amusement, selling them poisonous medications for exorbitant prices. So much secrecy and dishonesty.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-07-2012, 01:23 PM   #4
OldNuc
OldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant future

1998 SC2

There are maybe 2 injector cleaners that work, Chevron Techron concentrate and the BG product. The rest are naphtha, kerosene, and alcohol.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 03:21 PM   #5
PurdueGuy
Master Member
PurdueGuy is a jewel in the roughPurdueGuy is a jewel in the roughPurdueGuy is a jewel in the rough

1999 SC2
1999 SC1

Any time you have a leak, there's a real problem that needs fixed. There's a chance if the leak is very small that some additive might have a chance at plugging it up and fixing the problem, though you also have to consider what else it's plugging & gooping up. I pretty much always go with "if it leaks, find out what's loose or broken, and fix it right." Cleaning additives have a better chance at being legit, but there is certainly a marketing angle on these things that would make one think these products' use are more often fruitless than actually helpful.

SaturnSeries.net owner

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to PurdueGuy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help PurdueGuy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
PurdueGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 07:54 PM   #6
hholbein
hholbein is on a distinguished road

1997 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeIndiana View Post
and regarding the Slime stuff you put in your tires, I have used it in the bicycle inner tubes and it is absolutely worthless, it will not seal the tiniest holes, and makes a horrible mess and ruins your tires.

The are now marketing it in big gallon jugs now for auto tires, I just wish someone would put a stop to all these scams in the auto retail industry.
+1 on the Green Slime in bicycle tubes. Occasionally, I have to work on bikes that have this toxic waste pumped inside. Gets all over everything and doesn't do diddly for most punctures. Plus it's surprisingly heavy.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to hholbein's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help hholbein reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
hholbein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 08:47 PM   #7
adventureoflink
Master Member
adventureoflink has a spectacular aura aboutadventureoflink has a spectacular aura aboutadventureoflink has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL2

Putting oil treatment into your power steering fluid...? WTF?

Also, there's a reason why you DON'T use high mileage oil... and it's exactly what you said. all it does is swell the seals then they leak.

97 SL2
DOB: 3/19/97
Date Obtained: 5/30/07

2004 Merc G.Marquis GS
DOB: 2/4/04
Date Obtained: 7/6/12

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to adventureoflink's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help adventureoflink reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
adventureoflink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 08:49 PM   #8
OldNuc
OldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant future

1998 SC2

Lucas makes a power steering oil the is also supposedly a stop leak.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 08:58 PM   #9
Carlr33
Carlr33 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by adventureoflink View Post
Also, there's a reason why you DON'T use high mileage oil... and it's exactly what you said. all it does is swell the seals then they leak.
High mileage oil like what brand/example?

2000 SL1
206,000 MILES

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Carlr33's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Carlr33 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Carlr33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 09:21 PM   #10
PlasticCarsRock
Master Member
PlasticCarsRock is a jewel in the roughPlasticCarsRock is a jewel in the roughPlasticCarsRock is a jewel in the rough

1995 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeIndiana View Post
I disagree. It does make a horrible mess, but it has worked for me on several leaks. It's not a good permanent solution (if you leave the bike sitting for more than a few days, it will drain down to the bottom, away from the leak, and it will suddenly begin to leak), but if you pre-fill your tubes with it and carry a pump with you, you're good for pretty much anything short of a rip/tear.

It won't seal anything big, like a large empty nail hole, but it does help in many circumstances.

The oil additives and stop leaks, though... they're a waste of money. If you could make oil work better by adding something to it, the companies making the oil would have figured that out by now and added it themselves...

High compression build: .033" shaved/ported head, flat-faced valves; gen3 rods, pistons, tie-plate; OE header, custom CAI, SDA street cams with adjustable sprockets, WBO2, SAFCII, LSD. ASE A1-A8+L1

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to PlasticCarsRock's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help PlasticCarsRock reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
PlasticCarsRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 09:33 PM   #11
Supra83mkii
Supra83mkii will become famous soon enoughSupra83mkii will become famous soon enough

1997 SL2

I've used Lucas oil stabilizer on my 83 supra and it definitely helped the valve stem seals. It was smoking a bit after idling. And the Lucas definitely help it. So I've being using it ever since. Been using it for about 4 years now. Once I buy new rocker arms, valves, valve springs and pushrods I'm planning on replacing the valve stem seals.

I've also used the the Lucas injector cleaner and that worked quite good as well. I haven't tried any other of their products. I'm planning on using the Lucas injector cleaner on my 97 sl2 then planning on cleaning the throttle body and egr.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Supra83mkii's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Supra83mkii reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Supra83mkii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 01:02 AM   #12
Tommie
Advanced Member
Tommie will become famous soon enough

1996 SL1
2002 SL1

I've used Lucas products for years and have been satisfied with the results. The torque converter seal leak on my 1996 SL1 has stopped since 2008. It did also helped on the power steering pump seal.

I've used Lucas on other cars and seal leaks do stop unless it is another form of leak.

I've never noticed any other real difference however in performance.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tommie's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tommie reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Tommie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 02:16 PM   #13
SLCraig
Master Member
SLCraig is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2
2000 SW2

I agree with you. There is no fix in a can, I consider myself relatively knowledgeable and I would never endorse anything made by Lucas ever. Oil stabilizer? WTF? Oil works in a crankcase, why add something foreign to it? Just a useless rip off product.

1996 SL2 5MT. 239KMs. Gone, but not forgotten.
2000 SW2 5MT. 133KMs. Gone, but not forgotten.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SLCraig's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SLCraig reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SLCraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 03:29 PM   #14
azrocketman
azrocketman is on a distinguished road

1997 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCraig View Post
I agree with you. There is no fix in a can, I consider myself relatively knowledgeable and I would never endorse anything made by Lucas ever. Oil stabilizer? WTF? Oil works in a crankcase, why add something foreign to it? Just a useless rip off product.
Oil is stored in the crankcase (except on dry sump engines); it does not do anything else there. Oil works between moving surfaces to reduce friction and wear. One additive that is common for older vehicles with flat tappets (e.g. my 1966 Corvairs) using modern oils is ZDDP (zinc). Modern oil formulations (e.g. API ratings SL, SM) have reduced the amount of zinc because it may damage the catalytic converter. The potential problem is accelerated camshaft and tappet wear and wear at other high load locations. The addition of ZDDP to the oil is suggested to minimize wear.

Steve

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to azrocketman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help azrocketman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
azrocketman is offline   Reply With Quote