SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-06-2012, 03:17 PM   #1
SlowRide
SlowRide is on a distinguished road

1998 SW2
Default How Urgent is TPS replacement?

I've had my '98 SW2 for about 2 months and it seems that the TPS is failing, from what I've read here in the forums. A couple times the idle stayed high, ~1500 rpm, after driving ~45 minutes. The first time I tapped the accelerator and it went back to normal which was ~850rpm. I cleaned the TB (in place) and after that it has been idling at 800. about 6 weeks later, I had another episode of high idle, which did not go away with tapping the accelerator, but went away after turning the car off and restarting. Does this sound like a failing TPS? Can the TPS failure cause the car to be undrivable?

1998 SW2 5spd 66k mi
1999 C5 hardtop
2007 Magnum SRT8

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SlowRide's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SlowRide reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SlowRide is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-06-2012, 03:33 PM   #2
TXSaturn02
Master Member
TXSaturn02 has a spectacular aura aboutTXSaturn02 has a spectacular aura aboutTXSaturn02 has a spectacular aura about

2002 SL2
Default Re: How Urgent is TPS replacement?

I drove around with my TPS randomly giving me issues for a couple of years. I don't think it really will cause much damage - it will just cause you to burn more oil and gas than it would if it idled normally. Since I didn't spend much time at traffic lights, I let it go for a while. Finally decided to spend the $50 and get it fixed since it is such an easy job. You should get OEM for this part.

2002 SL2 Manual - new in November, 2001
Sticker: $13,995 As of 09/30/17: 223,751 Miles - SOLD

2013 Mazda 3 HB - new in October 2012
Sticker: $20,850 As of 09/30/17: 38,381 Miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TXSaturn02's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TXSaturn02 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
TXSaturn02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 03:45 PM   #3
BV22
Master Member
BV22 is a glorious beacon of lightBV22 is a glorious beacon of lightBV22 is a glorious beacon of lightBV22 is a glorious beacon of lightBV22 is a glorious beacon of light

2002 SC1

^+1 - Drove mine that way for a couple years also. With a manual trans, it is less of an issue since either the clutch is pressed or the car is in neutral when coming to a stop. On an autotragic, you might find yourself fighting to stop the car. It is an easy job with the right tools (torx bits and a 1/4 drive ratchet) and small hands. Got my replacement at Autozone and it has worked fine for a couple years now, but OEM is likely best.

BV22
2002 SC1 5M
298k 10/17

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BV22's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BV22 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BV22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 03:47 PM   #4
SlowRide

1998 SW2

how about the AC/delc0 part?

1998 SW2 5spd 66k mi
1999 C5 hardtop
2007 Magnum SRT8

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help SlowRide reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-06-2012, 03:56 PM   #5
TXSaturn02
Master Member
TXSaturn02 has a spectacular aura aboutTXSaturn02 has a spectacular aura aboutTXSaturn02 has a spectacular aura about

2002 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowRide View Post
how about the AC/delc0 part?
I believe most people think AC/Delco is OEM most of the time. You might want to do a search. Sometimes if you ask the guy behind the counter, they'll know if it is OEM or not.

Be careful when removing the screws - if you drop it, you might have a tough time finding it. Unscrew by hand once it gets loose.

Last edited by TXSaturn02; 02-06-2012 at 04:07 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help TXSaturn02 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-06-2012, 03:59 PM   #6
SlowRide

1998 SW2

rock auto lists the Delphi as OE and it's like $55, the AC part is only $30

1998 SW2 5spd 66k mi
1999 C5 hardtop
2007 Magnum SRT8

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-06-2012, 04:04 PM   #7
TXSaturn02
Master Member

2002 SL2

Quote:
rock auto lists the Delphi as OE and it's like $55, the AC part is only $30
List the part number and maybe someone else will let you know. For something like that I just go to the Chevy dealership (I paid about $55 for mine). I know some of you live in the sticks and ordering on-line is an easier option.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-06-2012, 04:10 PM   #8
SlowRide

1998 SW2

ACDELCO Part # 21023673

price went up since i looked a few weeks ago, now $34 and 61

1998 SW2 5spd 66k mi
1999 C5 hardtop
2007 Magnum SRT8

Last edited by SlowRide; 02-06-2012 at 04:16 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-06-2012, 04:17 PM   #9
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

That is the correct part number for your model year and it should function fine.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 04:27 PM   #10
SlowRide

1998 SW2

Thanks to all for your replies!

1998 SW2 5spd 66k mi
1999 C5 hardtop
2007 Magnum SRT8

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-06-2012, 04:53 PM   #11
RobertGary1
Master Member
RobertGary1 is just really niceRobertGary1 is just really niceRobertGary1 is just really niceRobertGary1 is just really niceRobertGary1 is just really nice

1996 SC2
2006 VUE 3.5L

I've noticed that Rockauto has started putting little hearts next to their more popular offerings for a particular part. In generally I've found it is usually a very good balance between price and quality (its rarely the least expensive).

-Robert

Quote:
Thanks to all for your replies!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RobertGary1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RobertGary1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
RobertGary1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 06:38 PM   #12
manualman
manualman is on a distinguished road

1995 SL

I need some remedial education here. How can a bad TPS make it idle faster?

A TPS has no control over the throttle plate itself, correct? So it cannot regulate how much air flows into the intake valves. Wouldn't a faulty TPS sending a high throttle reading on low throttle condition, just make the mixture really rich? Wouldn't it actually need more air to idle faster?
Doesn't it sound like his IAC is bad rather than TPS? (Make no purchases! I'm just learning how to reason this stuff through)

Correct me where I'm wrong here. The TPS sends a signal to the PCM which also consults the MAP sensor and ECTS and then selects a pulse width to send to the injectors, which may be modified for the next round based on feedback from the O2 sensor. Still sounds like a bad TPS would just run either rich or lean until the PCM sees the disconnect between sensor inputs and sets a code.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to manualman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help manualman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
manualman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 06:45 PM   #13
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

When you start the car the PCM checks the TPS and assumes that reading is closed throttle. This is why you have to keep your big foot off the throttle when turning the key to on and cranking. If the TPS is defective and decides to not return to the set value then you will be left with the rolling RPM in most cases, 1200-1400 RPM. To enable close down of the IAC the VSS has to indicate zero speed and TPS indicate throttle closed. Then the PCM will go to idle RPM.

With the 98 and newer PCM when you hit the gas the TPS rate of change provides initial enrichment. Once the manifold vacuum responds then pulse control is back with MAP as primary pulse width control modified by O2 sensor signal. The earlier cars also employ a increase in fuel pressure along with MAP and TPS. The lower idle and high vacuum condition lowers fuel pressure to allow a longer pulse time.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-06-2012, 06:49 PM   #14
RobertGary1
Master Member
RobertGary1 is just really niceRobertGary1 is just really niceRobertGary1 is just really niceRobertGary1 is just really niceRobertGary1 is just really nice

1996 SC2
2006 VUE 3.5L

I agree that its never really made sense to me why the TPS would affect idle. Empirical evidence suggests that the IAC is activated for some reason based on the reading from the TPS; but why is a mystery. Moving the IAC is the only way the PCM can modify idle speed in these cars. However, from having solved this issue in two different Saturns I can assure you the solution is valid.

-Robert

Quote:
Originally Posted by manualman View Post
I need some remedial education here. How can a bad TPS make it idle faster?

A TPS has no control over the throttle plate itself, correct? So it cannot regulate how much air flows into the intake valves. Wouldn't a faulty TPS sending a high throttle reading on low throttle condition, just make the mixture really rich? Wouldn't it actually need more air to idle faster?
Doesn't it sound like his IAC is bad rather than TPS? (Make no purchases! I'm just learning how to reason this stuff through)

Correct me where I'm wrong here. The TPS sends a signal to the PCM which also consults the MAP sensor and ECTS and then selects a pulse width to send to the injectors, which may be modified for the next round based on feedback from the O2 sensor. Still sounds like a bad TPS would just run either rich or lean until the PCM sees the disconnect between sensor inputs and sets a code.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help RobertGary1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-06-2012, 07:48 PM   #15
TXSaturn02
Master Member

2002 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertGary1 View Post
However, from having solved this issue in two different Saturns I can assure you the solution is valid.

-Robert
Yepper. This is one of the few that I have actual experience with - new TPS resolved the high idle issue.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-07-2012, 11:07 AM   #16
manualman
manualman is on a distinguished road

1995 SL

If I understand OldNuc correctly, the bad TPS tricks the PCM into keeping the IAC at high idle when it should be telling it to go to low idle. So the PCM and IAC are still working right, but are getting bad info from the TPS.

The scary thing is that I actually understand all that alphabet soup!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to manualman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help manualman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
manualman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 12:34 PM   #17
OldNuc

1998 SC2

+1^^^That is the Cliff Notes version of what is going on. The deep logic is that the reciprocal of an OR logic gate is an AND gate.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-07-2012, 02:24 PM   #18
RobertGary1
Master Member

1996 SC2
2006 VUE 3.5L

But what is the scenario in which the car says "I think the throttle is open (because of the TPS) so I'm going to activate the IAC?". It just seems like an odd reaction for the PCM to have.

-Robert

Quote:
Originally Posted by manualman View Post
If I understand OldNuc correctly, the bad TPS tricks the PCM into keeping the IAC at high idle when it should be telling it to go to low idle. So the PCM and IAC are still working right, but are getting bad info from the TPS.

The scary thing is that I actually understand all that alphabet soup!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-07-2012, 03:05 PM   #19
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Once the car reaches operating temperature and either the throttle is opened or the VSS indicates road speed the PCM positions the IAC to the ~1200 RPM position. This is part of the emission controls. So to reset the IAC to idle you have to meet BOTH conditions, TPS full closed AND VSS zero.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-07-2012, 04:09 PM   #20
RobertGary1
Master Member

1996 SC2
2006 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
Once the car reaches operating temperature and either the throttle is opened or the VSS indicates road speed the PCM positions the IAC to the ~1200 RPM position. This is part of the emission controls. So to reset the IAC to idle you have to meet BOTH conditions, TPS full closed AND VSS zero.
Is this part of the coasting idle requirement? It makes sense that it would be concerned with the VSS indicator but why would the coasting idle be affected by the throttle position? If anything I would think it would not go into coasting mode if the throttle were pressed. Wouldn't opening the IAC in response to throttle advancement result in a jerky advancement?

-Robert

REWARD EXCELLENCE!