SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-15-2012, 08:27 PM   #1
ericfragola
ericfragola is on a distinguished road

1998 SL1
Wrench main bearing replacement questions

Hey everyone, so my 98 sl1 sohc has 120k miles on it and makes a metal on metal spinning noise when I drive. I can only hear it when I drive at a very low rpm at a slow speed. IE: going 20 in 4th gear. It dissappears around 1.5k rpms. Then, only in fifth on the freeway, above 2500 rpmsk it makes that noise but the harder I press on the gas the louder it gets. Which means its internally in the engine, and not something like a wheel bearing.. And my car has too much road noise to take a video or record the sound. Well, regardless if that noise is the main bearing or not, its getting replaced, since I have a slight rod knock and I'm replacing all four rod bearings, I was told to replace the main bearing at the same time. But since I'm gonna be doing all this work, I just wanted to see if that noise could possibly be something else. Like rings. My car has very good compression, but burns oil. It passed smog by one point last month. So, if anyone else has had the same problem, or know what else could be causing the noise, please let me know. Replacing the main and rod bearings is a big task, and if there's anything else that it could be, or is, id like to get it all done at once. Since this is my DD. Thanks everyone in advance! This forum never disappoints

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ericfragola's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ericfragola reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ericfragola is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-15-2012, 09:56 PM   #2
ssicarman
ssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to behold

Default Re: main bearing replacement questions

If you are getting a bearing type noise (like a wheel bearing) it is not from the engine. I think that you may want to look more at the transmission rather than the engine.

A lousy day in paradise is still a day in paradise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ssicarman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ssicarman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ssicarman is offline   Reply With Quote