SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-01-2012, 06:09 PM   #1
2slo
2slo is on a distinguished road

2000 SC2
Default EGR Code P0405

Hi all,
I am working on a new-to-me 2000 SC2 with a 1.9L DOHC engine. The check engine light is on and my scanner reveals P0405 code.
I have read numerous posts on this site about cleaning the EGR valve and ports and have done so several times only to have the code reset within a moment or so. In one post in particular the pin-out for the valve was listed. The post stated that the valve receives 2 voltage sources: 1) a 5v source for the sensor position and 2) a 12v source for the servo motor that moves the pintle. When I remove the connector from the EGR valve and probe the connector I read 5v on the 5v source. Using a 12v test light from the 5v source to ground causes the light to glow. With the connector attached to the valve the 5v remains. So far so good.
When I probe the connector for 12v I only read 8.5v. A test light hooked from the 12v supply wire to ground fails to light and the 8.5v goes to 0v. Further, if I reconnect the wire to the EGR valve the 8.5v goes to 0v. I checked for a short from the 12v pin on the EGR valve to ground and none exists.
From where is this 12v derived? Has anyone else experienced this issue? Where can I find a wiring diagram to aid in trouble shooting this problem?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2slo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2slo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2slo is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-01-2012, 07:05 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: EGR Code P0405

From the service manual;

The exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) valve consists of a pintle valve which moves by the use of an internal solenoid and an internal position sensor (potentiometer) used to determine pintle valve position. The powertrain control module (PCM) controls the solenoid by supplying it ignition voltage whenever exhaust gas needs to be recirculated into the intake manifold. The PCM monitors the EGR solenoid and position sensor circuits for correct voltage levels at certain times. DTC P0405 sets when the EGR sensor signal voltage is below the calibrated voltage value.

Be sure you have the correct information from known good sources otherwise going on assumptions can result in confusion.

The pintle valve motor only powers up momentarily when the pintle valve is needed to be positioned so you're not likely to see 12v unless you're willing to conjure up a set up to monitor the control voltages as the egr valve operates when necessary - that's only going to occur when the engine's under load and accelerating in normal driving (not while idling/revving in place). There's also the possibility of damage to the position sensor that provides feedback signaling so the pcm knows where the pintle valve is.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg egr valve.jpg (66.7 KB, 38 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 07:06 PM   #3
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2
Default Re: EGR Code P0405

The 12v is from the PCM(ground) and battery. How have you been cleaning out the ports? The 12v is not your problem most likely. Pin C to Pin B voltage must be greater than 0.2v. To test this connect EGR and start car then probe the c and b wires with a pair of straight pins inserted through the insulation. Back probing is an excellent method to fail the connector so skip that one unless you know how that connector is constructed. You should see grater than 0.2v and if not then the PCM grounds become suspect. If you have an aftermarket EGR suspect a defective valve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2slo View Post
Hi all,
I am working on a new-to-me 2000 SC2 with a 1.9L DOHC engine. The check engine light is on and my scanner reveals P0405 code.
I have read numerous posts on this site about cleaning the EGR valve and ports and have done so several times only to have the code reset within a moment or so. In one post in particular the pin-out for the valve was listed. The post stated that the valve receives 2 voltage sources: 1) a 5v source for the sensor position and 2) a 12v source for the servo motor that moves the pintle. When I remove the connector from the EGR valve and probe the connector I read 5v on the 5v source. Using a 12v test light from the 5v source to ground causes the light to glow. With the connector attached to the valve the 5v remains. So far so good.
When I probe the connector for 12v I only read 8.5v. A test light hooked from the 12v supply wire to ground fails to light and the 8.5v goes to 0v. Further, if I reconnect the wire to the EGR valve the 8.5v goes to 0v. I checked for a short from the 12v pin on the EGR valve to ground and none exists.
From where is this 12v derived? Has anyone else experienced this issue? Where can I find a wiring diagram to aid in trouble shooting this problem?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is online now   Reply With Quote