SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Outlook > Outlook General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-31-2011, 10:27 PM   #21
Rockin G
Rockin G is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Headlight - bulb or circuit issue?

My drivers headlight on my 09 Outlook has been out for a couple months. Is this part you linked the same one that everyone is saying might be the problem when the lights do go out? I just have been dreading the job, but with Daylight savings coming up, and the fact that I got a warning ticket the other day. I guess I better get er dun.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08Carbon View Post
Add me to the list of burned connectors. Driver's side went out this past weekend. I replaced both the headlight socket and bulb for $22.93 from Napa Auto Parts.
I probably did not need to replace the old bulb, but I did not want to risk having to remove the tire and fender well plastic a second time.

Here's the link for the headlight socket

I did take the tire off to make it easier to get my hands up behind the light housing. I have a floor jack, so that's no big deal.

All work done in less than one hour.

Hope this helps.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Rockin G's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Rockin G reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Rockin G is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-01-2011, 01:05 PM   #22
08Carbon
08Carbon is on a distinguished road

2008 Outlook XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin G View Post
My drivers headlight on my 09 Outlook has been out for a couple months. Is this part you linked the same one that everyone is saying might be the problem when the lights do go out? I just have been dreading the job, but with Daylight savings coming up, and the fact that I got a warning ticket the other day. I guess I better get er dun.
Yes. I think the stock wiring seems to be the problem. It's not the right gauge wire. It gets too hot and melts the plastic at the connector end. The insulation was melted off of the stock yellow wire going into the headlight socket!

This replacement socket appeared to have bigger wire than stock. Hopefully it will be enough.

2008 Saturn Outlook XE - Purchased 2/16/2011

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 08Carbon's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 08Carbon reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
08Carbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 07:47 PM   #23
Rockin G

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08Carbon View Post
Yes. I think the stock wiring seems to be the problem. It's not the right gauge wire. It gets too hot and melts the plastic at the connector end. The insulation was melted off of the stock yellow wire going into the headlight socket!

This replacement socket appeared to have bigger wire than stock. Hopefully it will be enough.
Sorry to bother you one more time...I have not gotten in to mine yet yo look at it. The picture of that NAPA harness that you found has the socket on one end and bare wires, on the other. Is this something I am going to have to solder or does it actually have a plug on that sid? If it is to solder, Can I remover the other end from the vehicle to solder it? Again, I just havent dug in yet since I live in a small town and I need to order everything and have it on hand before I dig into it. Thanks, again

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Rockin G reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-02-2011, 06:26 AM   #24
08Carbon
08Carbon is on a distinguished road

2008 Outlook XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin G View Post
Sorry to bother you one more time...I have not gotten in to mine yet yo look at it. The picture of that NAPA harness that you found has the socket on one end and bare wires, on the other. Is this something I am going to have to solder or does it actually have a plug on that sid? If it is to solder, Can I remover the other end from the vehicle to solder it? Again, I just havent dug in yet since I live in a small town and I need to order everything and have it on hand before I dig into it. Thanks, again
I did not solder my wires. I used crimp-on snap connectors like these - http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...=PPC%3AGoogle#
You will have to cut off the stock connector and strip the insulation off of the stock wires a little, but it's easier than soldering, IMHO.

2008 Saturn Outlook XE - Purchased 2/16/2011

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 08Carbon's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 08Carbon reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
08Carbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 10:58 AM   #25
Rockin G

Ok, THANKS! I got the connector changed out. As suspected and predicted by just about everyone on this thread, it was the connector, not the bulb. I tested the new connector on the old bulb before I put the new bulb in, and it definately worked. The connector on the black wire side was black and crispy. My crimpers made this job alot harder than it needed to be, I have the crimpers that are towards the handle and it made it hard to get them in there to crimp the splice. But I finally got it done. Took me less than an hour even with that. I will say that it would have been easier to remove the whole front half of that inner fender well though. I wish there were screws to remove it all, instead of screws and the other connectors. Or a 3rd arm would have been great Thanks all!!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-30-2011, 11:24 PM   #26
Saturninin
Saturninin will become famous soon enough

2005 VUE 3.5L
1994 SL2

Circuit issue got replaced at local shop for $44 and not having car for day (was at work)

Wanted: Dealer items (frames/ key-chains)

Miles(k) 2013~15
94 HCE ~180
05 Vue 3.5 87~140
98 SL1 260~426
08 Outlook XE 20~160
95 SC2 ~128

Past
96 SW2, 98 SL2
160k+ 95 SL,98 SW2, 03 Vue-I4

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Saturninin's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Saturninin reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Saturninin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 12:37 PM   #27
jag87xj6
jag87xj6 is on a distinguished road

Well I became the proud new owner of a 2008 Saturn Outlook on Monday Night. Signed the papers and jumped in the vehicle to discover that the drivers headlight was not working. Didnt take it home til yesterday afternoon. Two hours after driving off the lot the passengers headlight went out. Took it back this morning to hear that the wiring was burnt and it would require a new harness. Sounds like I am not alone, this seems to be a defect.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jag87xj6's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jag87xj6 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jag87xj6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 09:45 PM   #28
glbbrown
glbbrown is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XR
Thumbs Up Re: Headlight - bulb or circuit issue?

Good news!!
Looks like there is a recall.
My drivers side, low beam headlight is out. I went to a Chevrolet dealer to ask about a fix and showed the service consultant the TSB. They looked it up and noticed a recall made effective on 12/05/2011.

Have an appointment tomorrow afternoon to get mine fixed.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to glbbrown's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help glbbrown reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
glbbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 07:38 PM   #29
Doug C
Doug C will become famous soon enoughDoug C will become famous soon enough

2008 Outlook XE

Hmmm that would be great news !

I'll presume we'll soon see if across N.A., just U.S.of A., or just a 'you ask' we shall provide under recall coverage, similiar to the air bags extended warranty coverage stated in letter !

And are they (hopefully) components comprised of higher gauge wire !

Thanks for the info,

doug c

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Doug C's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Doug C reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Doug C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 11:40 PM   #30
PlasticPWR
PlasticPWR is on a distinguished road

2006 ION Red Line
2002 SL2

Hey guys, 1st post on this name here. Been awile since I've been on so made a new account. Im a Tech. at a GMC dealer and just a bit of info on this recall, I've done a few of them allready on CTS's, Outlooks and Acadias. What it is, is a new low beam pigtail/plug. Same gauge wire, but thats never been the issue. The real issue has been the plug it self. Frist gen plugs are whimpy, and melt over time the new plugs are much more stout. It takes about 1.5 hours to do and the kit comes with new bulbs too. And heads up another recall maybe coming for the master and booster assy. because of leakage this platform sometimes makes me wonder lol but best of luck and glad to be back

The member formally know as StockSaturn is back after 4 years!
#7 2006-ION RL (Red, Comp PAKG) 43K
#8 2002-SL2 Auto (GF's) 156K
DD-2006 Cobalt LS Coupe 5 speed
Toy-1976 Dodge D100 318-81K

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to PlasticPWR's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help PlasticPWR reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
PlasticPWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 07:52 PM   #31
Doug C
Doug C will become famous soon enoughDoug C will become famous soon enough

2008 Outlook XE

Wow !! Actually received the recall notice today, before their Christmas car sale ads !!

Will take care of it in the next couple months

nite,
Doug C

p.s. hope ya all have a Safe but FUN, Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year . . . .

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Doug C's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Doug C reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Doug C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 11:55 PM   #32
Saturninin
Saturninin will become famous soon enough

2005 VUE 3.5L
1994 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug C View Post
Hmmm that would be great news !

I'll presume we'll soon see if across N.A., just U.S.of A., or just a 'you ask' we shall provide under recall coverage, similiar to the air bags extended warranty coverage stated in letter !

And are they (hopefully) components comprised of higher gauge wire !

Thanks for the info,

doug c
about time ..... (We freakin just paid 40 for drivers side) so should i get passangers side fixed and can we get the 40 back?

What is the deal with airbag? (ours says service airbag on/off ) what is the recall?

Wanted: Dealer items (frames/ key-chains)

Miles(k) 2013~15
94 HCE ~180
05 Vue 3.5 87~140
98 SL1 260~426
08 Outlook XE 20~160
95 SC2 ~128

Past
96 SW2, 98 SL2
160k+ 95 SL,98 SW2, 03 Vue-I4

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Saturninin's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Saturninin reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Saturninin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 11:47 AM   #33
Ethan2000
Ethan2000 is on a distinguished road

Recently I also started having issues with my passenger side low beam light blinking off and on intermediatly. This seemed odd to me since typically a light buld is either good or bad and never in between. I attemped to change the light bulb myself but quickly realized that the procedure was much more difficult than just unscrewing a bad light buld and replacing it with a new one, which led me to search online and eventually to this sight.

After reading all of your postings, and at first being horrified, I thought that I would be stuck paying a massive bill. However, because of all of your posts, I decided to call a GMC dealership and check if there has been a recall on this problem. To my amazement, I am very happy to announce that GMC has issued a recall on this exact problem. My 2007 Saturn Outlook was fixed at absolutely no cost to me. I hope that this news helps out someone just in time for Christmas. Happy Holidays!!!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Ethan2000's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Ethan2000 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Ethan2000 is offline   Reply With Quote