SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-14-2011, 10:05 AM   #1
Ghill_Sl1
Ghill_Sl1 is on a distinguished road

2001 SL1
Default Transmission Cooler Lines: Where to buy

The time has come to replace my radiator which has the classic crack in the plastic tank.

Normally I am good at finding things on the internet but cannot find anywhere to buy the replacement upper and lower transmission cooler lines.

The connections are severly corroded and I highly doubt I could remove and reuse my lines at all.

Any advice?!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Ghill_Sl1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Ghill_Sl1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Ghill_Sl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-14-2011, 10:45 AM   #2
OldNuc
OldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant future

1998 SC2
Default Re: Transmission Cooler Lines: Where to buy

RockAuto, http://www.rockauto.com One is listed under Automatic Transmission, components and the other under oil cooler. 21031306 upper hose and 21031307 lower hose.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 06:52 PM   #3
Baron5867
Advanced Member
Baron5867 is just really niceBaron5867 is just really niceBaron5867 is just really niceBaron5867 is just really nice

1994 SC1

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
RockAuto, http://www.rockauto.com One is listed under Automatic Transmission, components and the other under oil cooler. 21031306 upper hose and 21031307 lower hose.
THANKS! I should replace my radiator soon, it is nice to know that I can get these from RA. I looked, but I thought that they would be in their own category. I guess it helps to know the part #s.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Baron5867's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Baron5867 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Baron5867 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 10:16 PM   #4
steveo236
steveo236 is on a distinguished road

1998 SL2
2001 SL2

The cooler lines were also available (and in stock) at my local GM dealer for about $20 (each). I just did a radiator replacement on my '98 SL2. Top cooler line came off without much problem. The lower did not.

Couldn't find them at any local auto parts place (Napa, Advance Auto, etc.)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to steveo236's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help steveo236 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
steveo236 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 08:37 PM   #5
ShawnV
Master Member
ShawnV is a jewel in the roughShawnV is a jewel in the roughShawnV is a jewel in the roughShawnV is a jewel in the rough

1996 SW2
2003 VUE 2.2L

What about junkyard lines? I've got some that I keep around, but are they recommended to re-use?

shawn

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ShawnV's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ShawnV reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ShawnV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 08:52 PM   #6
OldNuc
OldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant future

1998 SC2

If they are clean inside and in good physical condition.

They are both available from RockAuto.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-20-2011, 05:26 PM   #7
TomM96
TomM96 will become famous soon enough

i think online dealers still stock ... think have to lookup under cooling , not tranny.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TomM96's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TomM96 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
TomM96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 08:30 PM   #8
Baron5867
Advanced Member
Baron5867 is just really niceBaron5867 is just really niceBaron5867 is just really niceBaron5867 is just really nice

1994 SC1

Quote:
Somebody enlighten me on these lines... is the issue that the nuts are in super tight, and they get rounded off, or something else?

Is there a way I can attempt to check for removal of these lines while they (and the radiator) are in the car without damaging anything, so that I can decide if I need to have these lines on hand? Or with a '94/165k miles, should I just replace them no matter what? Thanks.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Baron5867 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-23-2011, 09:05 PM   #9
OldNuc

1998 SC2

They are a JIC or AN fitting and by design are a leak tight metal to metal seal. Removal is aways difficult and when the fitting nut is made from a soft material and the opposite end is set into plastic failure is almost assured. An in vehicle removal attempt is likely to not prove productive.

If you have new lines available the old ones will remove easily but if you do not they will be destroyed in the removal process. It is the first law of the perversity of inanimate objects.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-23-2011, 11:33 PM   #10
edlee
edlee will become famous soon enough

1999 SL1

The crimps on the transmission cooler lines also loosen over time and leak automatic transmission fluid. You could screw on hose clamps over the crimps to make them last longer. My replacement transmission cooler lines from the junk yard are leaking already. Luckily, I have a new set of cooler lines. I'm thinking of using Barnowl's procedure of extracting the metal pieces at both ends of the return line closest to the transmission filter to use as part of an external transmission cooler.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to edlee's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help edlee reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
edlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 08:20 AM   #11
Baron5867
Advanced Member

1994 SC1

Thanks Old Nuc, edlee.
Quote:
If you have new lines available the old ones will remove easily but if you do not they will be destroyed in the removal process. It is the first law of the perversity of inanimate objects.
I think I am going to have new ones on hand, at the relatively low cost of inbound and outbound shipping if I don't need them.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-24-2011, 08:38 AM   #12
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by edlee View Post
The crimps on the transmission cooler lines also loosen over time and leak automatic transmission fluid. You could screw on hose clamps over the crimps to make them last longer. My replacement transmission cooler lines from the junk yard are leaking already. Luckily, I have a new set of cooler lines. I'm thinking of using Barnowl's procedure of extracting the metal pieces at both ends of the return line closest to the transmission filter to use as part of an external transmission cooler.
If you install a cooler you want one with a temp controlled internal bypass as the transmission does not tolerate low temperature. 120-140 for the bypass.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-16-2011, 07:21 AM   #13
Baron5867
Advanced Member

1994 SC1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron5867 View Post
Thanks Old Nuc, edlee.
I think I am going to have new ones on hand, at the relatively low cost of inbound and outbound shipping if I don't need them.
I ordered in both trans cooler lines from RockAuto. Both lines were in very tight at the radiator, but I used PB BLaster (don't know if it mattered), clamped on vise grips as hard as I could, and then used quite a bit of force to unscrew the lines. On the lower trans cooler line, the fitting was stuck fast to the metal tubing, so that the tubing turned with the fitting and kinked. I replaced the lower trans line only.

Note/PSA/Warning: the trans cooler lines do NOT come with the plastic disconnect fitting for the transmission side of the lines (). You need to buy those separately, Dorman part 800005. RockAuto does carry this cheaply, but it might well ship from a different location than the cooler lines or anything else you order in, which might make them overly expensive with the added shipping. Your FLAPS might have them as well, in my area Advance Auto and Pep Boys carried them.

Big thanks to edlee for calling out the Dorman part in a post elsewhere, it saved my butt.

Last edited by Baron5867; 12-16-2011 at 07:28 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!