SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Advanced Forum Search | Advanced Photo Search

Old 07-10-2010, 01:56 PM   #1
Vue in Ontario
Vue in Ontario is on a distinguished road

2006 VUE Red Line
2007 AURA XE
Default Airbag malfunction light 06

Right under the fuel gauge is a series of warning lights.... lowfuel, seat belt not on and airbag malfunction light.

The airbag malfunction light is staying on in mine... anyone know a common problem that would set off this sensor? Also, haven't had it read with a diagnostic machine yet, but would this be the kind of problem to provide a read out number?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Vue in Ontario's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Vue in Ontario reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Vue in Ontario is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-10-2010, 03:17 PM   #2
far2grumpy
Master Member
far2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to all

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L
Default Re: Airbag malfunction light 06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vue in Ontario View Post
Right under the fuel gauge is a series of warning lights.... lowfuel, seat belt not on and airbag malfunction light.

The airbag malfunction light is staying on in mine... anyone know a common problem that would set off this sensor? Also, haven't had it read with a diagnostic machine yet, but would this be the kind of problem to provide a read out number?
I believe under or over voltage will set the light with no codes - would be very rare if Vue is operating OK otherwise.

I've attached extracts from the 05 service manual - most likely also applicable to your 06 - but use cautiously.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 05 Vue - SIR Descrbd.pdf (67.0 KB, 45 views)
File Type: pdf 05 Vue - Air Bag Ckt Malf.pdf (42.3 KB, 29 views)
File Type: pdf 05 Vue - Diags Sys Check.pdf (40.5 KB, 27 views)

Not a professional mechanic - advice and data are free - PM email address if I'm not logged on.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to far2grumpy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help far2grumpy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
far2grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 12:30 PM   #3
Vue in Ontario

2006 VUE Red Line
2007 AURA XE

Thanks for the links.

Just drove to London..... Ontario, that is. The light was on when we left, but went out for most of the drive there, only popping on for a few seconds. Seemed to be on the whole way back.

This makes me think it's just a simple connection not making good contact..... Is it possible that a wire under the seat (air bag sensor) could have anything to do with it? Seems the kids had pushed a pop bottle or two under the seat.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Vue in Ontario reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-12-2010, 06:04 PM   #4
far2grumpy
Master Member
far2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to all

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Thanks for the links.

Just drove to London..... Ontario, that is. The light was on when we left, but went out for most of the drive there, only popping on for a few seconds. Seemed to be on the whole way back.

This makes me think it's just a simple connection not making good contact..... Is it possible that a wire under the seat (air bag sensor) could have anything to do with it? Seems the kids had pushed a pop bottle or two under the seat.
It be reasonable to set conditions where light is on and then poke around a bit.

Some folks have had trouble with the clock-spring connector module in the steering column affecting airbag. It might be worthwhile to observe the light while raising / lowering the steering wheel using adjuster.

I'd also apply pressure to the steering in all axis while observing the light.

Not a professional mechanic - advice and data are free - PM email address if I'm not logged on.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help far2grumpy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-12-2010, 07:04 PM   #5
col_dude190
Advanced Member
col_dude190 will become famous soon enough

2006 VUE Red Line
2004 VUE Red Line

I remember reading about this a few years back...apparently there is some issue with the sensor module under the passenger seat that triggers the airbag light. As I recall, the only way to completely get rid of the light is to replace the module and have the new module programmed by a dealer.

Here is one of the threads talking about this issue:

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...ssenger+sensor

If it is the module that is failing, I believe the replacement is several hundred dollars from the dealer. You might be better off trying to find a low mileage replacement from a junkyard and then having a dealer reprogram the module for your vehicle to save yourself a little cash. Good luck

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to col_dude190's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help col_dude190 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
col_dude190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 10:39 PM   #6
Vue in Ontario

2006 VUE Red Line
2007 AURA XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by col_dude190 View Post
If it is the module that is failing, I believe the replacement is several hundred dollars from the dealer. You might be better off trying to find a low mileage replacement from a junkyard and then having a dealer reprogram the module for your vehicle to save yourself a little cash. Good luck
I used to like you

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-24-2010, 04:44 PM   #7
Vue in Ontario

2006 VUE Red Line
2007 AURA XE

Darn thing was out for about a week..... was hoping it miraculously cured itself, but sadly it came back on today.

Guess I'll have to start looking into the problem.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-31-2011, 10:57 PM   #8
Vue in Ontario

2006 VUE Red Line
2007 AURA XE

Just going through my history a bit and clicked on th threads I have started...... just thought I'd update this situation..... the only real issue I've had so far.

So anyway, I procrastinated till about mid October and the light seemed to stop coming on. I did absolutely nothing and it's now 6 months later without the problem occuring again......... apparently it can miraculously fix itself

....by the way, the light comes on when the key is turned to accessory so the light isn't burnt out. Just so no one asks

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-09-2011, 06:22 PM   #9
Vue in Ontario

2006 VUE Red Line
2007 AURA XE

OK guys maybe someone can help me here. Light started coming on again in May was off and on a lot all summer, but now that it's cooler outside it doesn't seem to come on anymore.

Coincidence or his something heating up that activating the light that doesn't heat up as much when the air outside is cooler? Sounds crazy I know.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-09-2011, 06:40 PM   #10
TheVue
TheVue is on a distinguished road

2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
OK guys maybe someone can help me here. Light started coming on again in May was off and on a lot all summer, but now that it's cooler outside it doesn't seem to come on anymore.

Coincidence or his something heating up that activating the light that doesn't heat up as much when the air outside is cooler? Sounds crazy I know.

Maybe you sent it to Minnesota because my airbag light just came on tonight. I read some other posts on this and found out that turning the passenger heated seat switch on caused the light to go out. And sitting in the passenger seat also made the light turn out. Hopefully it's just a loose connection. I will check further on that tomorrow.....

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TheVue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TheVue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
TheVue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 08:24 AM   #11
RainMan
RainMan is on a distinguished road

2007 VUE 3.5L

I have had my Airbag light come on once and it was after I cleaned and vacuumed the car. I had "bumped" one of the connectors under the passenger seat. It did not look loose, but I basically reseated all connectors under the seats and have not had a problem since. My wifes car is a Hyandai and that is a common problem with her model and that is where I got the idea from.

Just a thought...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RainMan's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RainMan reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
RainMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 02:37 PM   #12
Vue in Ontario

2006 VUE Red Line
2007 AURA XE

Checked the wires earlier.... was hoping it would be that simple.

Is there a module connected to the airbag system that is located under the hood or anywhere else that heats up when the motor and/ or air conditioning running?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-12-2011, 06:05 PM   #13
far2grumpy
Master Member

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Checked the wires earlier.... was hoping it would be that simple.

Is there a module connected to the airbag system that is located under the hood or anywhere else that heats up when the motor and/ or air conditioning running?
I suspect the last thing you need is something else to read - I've been assuming the 06 in title means you have a 2006 ... true?

There is a master module - SDM (read description in attachment) - located under center console.

You may have to arrange for Tech 2 check - or perhaps locate someone with a code reader capable of emulating Tech 2.

Problem could be in SDM or PPS (passenger presence system) - it'd be better to narrow the field.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 06 Vue - SIR System.pdf (81.6 KB, 28 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-12-2011, 08:15 PM   #14
Vue in Ontario

2006 VUE Red Line
2007 AURA XE

No, more information the better.

Just find it really strange that the light doesn't come on anymore as the outside temperature gets colder.

Also since the light isn't on anymore will it still throw out codes to a tech 2 check? I assume it would save them internally, but not sure.

BTW far2grumpy, I'm going to go out on a limb and speak for a lot of people here thanking you for your posts and resource material for virtually any question people have. Thanks you.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-12-2013, 12:12 AM   #15
xlerate
xlerate is on a distinguished road

Bumping this old thread as I found it looking for a solution to the same scenario in my 2006 as well. Airbag light just started coming on today or of nowhere, and a few miles of driving and it went off. About 2 hours later, same thing. On for a a few minutes then back off.

Did anyone have any luck with the under passenger seat connections?
Going to have a look there tomorrow and see if I can provoke it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to xlerate's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help xlerate reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
xlerate is offline   Reply With Quote