SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-29-2011, 05:20 PM   #1
Zacrazy
Zacrazy is on a distinguished road

2002 VUE 2.2L
Default If you have a SUNROOF, READ THIS TODAY!

I learned the hard way that you must clear the drain lines for the sunroof on a regular basis. If you slide the sunroof open and look in the front corners of the trough (trawf) there are two drain holes. Use a blower on an air compressor to force air and trash through the drain lines, which discharge below the body. Use a rag to clean the trough. It doesn't take much to clog these lines. When the lines are clogged, the trough will overflow onto the headliner, run down the "A" pillar and discharge under the carpet. It may not be obvious that this is happening until something starts growing and stinking in your carpet.
I learned this lesson the hard way.
I hope none of you have to do the same.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Zacrazy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Zacrazy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Zacrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-29-2011, 05:43 PM   #2
Vue in Ontario
Vue in Ontario is on a distinguished road

2006 VUE Red Line
2007 AURA XE
Default Re: If you have a SUNROOF, READ THIS TODAY!

Opened mine today for the first time in months with no problem, but thanks for the tip, will definitely look into your suggestion.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Vue in Ontario's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Vue in Ontario reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Vue in Ontario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 05:58 AM   #3
mrtube
Advanced Member
mrtube is on a distinguished road

2006 VUE 3.5L

I believe these drain lines are known for coming off inside the vehicle below the sunroof. I would think using compressed air could cause the line to blow off without someone noticing.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mrtube's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mrtube reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mrtube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 08:17 AM   #4
RainMan
RainMan is on a distinguished road

2007 VUE 3.5L

Sounds like a great idea. How did you clean yours? I have an air compressor, but I do not want to damage the lines and create a problem where there currently is not one.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RainMan's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RainMan reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
RainMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 12:44 PM   #5
djb383
Advanced Member
djb383 is on a distinguished road

2006 VUE 3.5L

Always keep the sun roof closed when parked, especially if parked under/close to a tree and especially this time of year when all the little blossomy/bloomy things start falling off the trees.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to djb383's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help djb383 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
djb383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 05:48 PM   #6
Vue in Ontario
Vue in Ontario is on a distinguished road

2006 VUE Red Line
2007 AURA XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMan View Post
Sounds like a great idea. How did you clean yours? I have an air compressor, but I do not want to damage the lines and create a problem where there currently is not one.
Looked at mine today holes look very clean..... I'm thinking of just pouring a little water down them and see if it comes out right away, if it comes out fairly quick I'm calling them good.

I too don't like the idea of using compressed air into an area I don't fully understand how it's all held together.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Vue in Ontario's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Vue in Ontario reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Vue in Ontario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 09:55 PM   #7
Zacrazy
Zacrazy is on a distinguished road

2002 VUE 2.2L

The tip of most blowers is small and will not form a tight seal against the hole. Even blowers with the tapered rubber ends probably will not seal to the hole due to the angle of access. Since there is not seal there is no pressure build-up in the line or on the fittings. The pressure would hit the blockage and exhaust back up the tube and out of the unsealed opening around the blower tip. Most of them are not going to be plugged, but could have debris in the line which could slow the flow.
This happens because there is NO seal between the sunroof and the roof. The seal is between the sunroof and the sunroof frame/body. Keeping your sunroof closed, whether near trees or not, WILL NOT make a difference. Every time it rains or you wash your Saturn, dust, dirt, pollen, acorn tops, leaves etc. get washed down between the sunroof and the roof and end up in the trough or the drain lines.
I don't care what method one uses to clean the lines, my point was to clean them to prevent a problem.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Zacrazy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Zacrazy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Zacrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 11:12 AM   #8
boze
boze is on a distinguished road

2005 VUE 2.4L
2005 VUE 2.4L

I like this idea,....thanks. I'll be doing this this weekend.

Saturn SL2
Saturn L300 Wagon
Saturn 2005 Vue Grey
Saturn 2005 Vue Royal Blue

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to boze's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help boze reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
boze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 10:47 PM   #9
VTchemist
VTchemist is a jewel in the roughVTchemist is a jewel in the roughVTchemist is a jewel in the roughVTchemist is a jewel in the rough

2003 VUE 3.0L

My sunroof was leaking. The hose from the drain assembly was loose. (It is underneath the headliner, by the visor mount, and runs down the pillar assembly.)

An auto glass shop put a hose clamp on the drain hose to keep it tight on the assembly. Works fine.

Total cost, $80.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to VTchemist's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help VTchemist reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
VTchemist is offline   Reply With Quote