SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-25-2011, 10:29 AM   #1
Ditchwizard
Ditchwizard is on a distinguished road

1999 SW1
1997 SL1
Default P0410 Code Solution Shared

For those of you that have the P0410 code indicating the secondary air system is not working, I'd like to share my solution.

Vehicle: 2002 SL1, 93,000 miles.

Found the air pump was not running because of a corroded ground where it connects to the Right Front Lamp Harness ground connector.

That connector just happens to be located just under the air pump on my car.

Several ground wires from the front end lighting all come to this point, and are plugged into this connector, which is then bolted to the 'frame' of the car.

This design is poor in several ways.

First, unlike all of the other connectors on the car, it is not waterproof, or sealed in any way. Just because they are 'ground' connections doesn't mean that they won't corrode!

Second, the connector is flat, and lays on a horizontal section of the frame. Water seems to naturally collect in this connector.

I removed the connector, and cut off all of the wires flush. I got a heavy gauge ground connection (ring with a pigtail) from a parts Camaro, stripped all of the wires about 3/4", twisted, and put on a copper crimp ring. After that, I heated and let some solder flow into it for good measure. I wrapped the splice in 3M 'Super 88' electrical tape, and used the original Saturn mounting position and bolt to hold the Camaro ground ring.

You could take apart the Saturn connector and clean it, but it would never hold up.

Hope this helps someone else.......I didn't have to buy anything, maybe it will save some $$$ and time for you!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Ditchwizard's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Ditchwizard reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Ditchwizard is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-25-2011, 10:43 AM   #2
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2
Default Re: P0410 Code Solution Shared

The washer jug quietly overflows onto that ground pack when you hit the brakes hard or the jug is completely full. There is supposed to be a gasket in the cover that prevents this but it never made it out of the factory or is long gone.

Rebuilding that ground can have some unintended consequences if all of those wires are not soldered into a single connector bonded to the fame. The washer fluid will soak into the connector and wiring and cause random failures again.

Good job finding the defective ground..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 07:18 PM   #3
Pitcher
Master Member
Pitcher has a spectacular aura aboutPitcher has a spectacular aura aboutPitcher has a spectacular aura about

1998 SC2
Default Re: P0410 Code Solution Shared

Good one - I'll have to check this on mine as I can't get rid of this code!

'98 SC2 Rare "Red Hot" 5-Speed. Castrol Edge EP

Taking Care of a '01 SL2 10th Ann. Ed. "Silver Salute" Mobil 1 AFE

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Pitcher's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Pitcher reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Pitcher is offline   Reply With Quote