SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-26-2011, 09:45 PM   #201
ehunter
ehunter has a spectacular aura aboutehunter has a spectacular aura about

Location: Pacifica by San Francisco – 5sp – Engine rebuild with the help of people here at 177K due to 500mi/qt oil consumption. After 2yrs I am back to 40mpg+ after discovering the refirb head I used was bad. Car runs better than a top. Now at 214k.

1996 SL2
Default Re: 98SW2 Re-Ring project

pass the salt Rich... I like mine with salt !

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ehunter's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ehunter reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ehunter is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-26-2011, 10:00 PM   #202
macbox
macbox is on a distinguished road

1995 SC2
1998 SW2

She is kinda noisy, I hope it is just a lifter that is not pumped up, the screwdriver stethoscope method says it is one of the lifters on the intake side next to the #1 spark plug. No leaks. It's time to drain the first oil and put the wheels back on.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to macbox's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help macbox reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
macbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 10:46 PM   #203
macbox

1995 SC2
1998 SW2

Thanks OldNuc and ehunter for riding along. I have some video to process and hope to get it done in the next day so you can watch. I have to go to work tomorrow morning on my day off due to something that came up, but I hope to get back at it in the late morning or afternoon.

#4, 1995 SC2m, 163K, 400 Miles per quart. Garage queen. Currently in 1000 pieces for a rebuild.
#5, 1998 SW2m, rebuilt at 126K, running nicely at 204K miles.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help macbox reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-26-2011, 11:06 PM   #204
OldNuc
OldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant future

1998 SC2

Sounds like it is alive and well. If the lifter is not sounding like a mad monkey inside the engine with a hammer then it is not a big deal and it should quiet up. Working on your day off is always fun....

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 11:56 PM   #205
macbox

1995 SC2
1998 SW2

Yes! The beast runs.
Here is the video of the valve train, I'm hoping the clattering will quiet down and I can take it for a drive and seat the rings tomorrow afternoon.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRpjtdXIWUY

I'm going to say goodnight since I have to get up early.

#4, 1995 SC2m, 163K, 400 Miles per quart. Garage queen. Currently in 1000 pieces for a rebuild.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-27-2011, 12:01 AM   #206
ehunter

Location: Pacifica by San Francisco – 5sp – Engine rebuild with the help of people here at 177K due to 500mi/qt oil consumption. After 2yrs I am back to 40mpg+ after discovering the refirb head I used was bad. Car runs better than a top. Now at 214k.

1996 SL2

Yea... mine started noisy too. Mine did not quiet down until after the first oil change AND the few first virgin miles down the road.

Even though you see no leaks... still put cardboard down under the engine for awhile. It will help in more ways than one.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help ehunter reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-27-2011, 12:08 AM   #207
OldNuc
OldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant future

1998 SC2

^^^Good idea.
Those don't sound that bad they are all relatively even which is good and the idle is smooth. Rings will seat rapidly so that is not the protracted exercise it used to be. Just keep the RPM at 3000 or below for the first hand full of miles. then you can start working it up slowly over time. Short bursts of hard acceleration get the seating done rapidly but keep the throttle <75% so you don't go open loop and wash everything down with fuel.

You will hear more valve racket with the aluminum cover but they don't leak.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-27-2011, 12:38 AM   #208
ehunter

1996 SL2

What kind of rings/pistons did you go with? Maybe you mentioned it earlier...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-27-2011, 01:36 PM   #209
macbox

1995 SC2
1998 SW2

Pistons are Keith Black/Silv-O-Lite. Rings are Hastings. Taking it for a drive now.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-27-2011, 02:08 PM   #210
macbox

1995 SC2
1998 SW2

Clacking is gone and it has quieted down, however, I have an SES light and the fan stays on. The ECTS wire was replaced and the wires were soldered, the ECTS is one that I had sitting around, so I am checking electrical connections now. If nothing shows up I'll head down to AZ to get the code checked, darn OBD-2, where's my paperclip? :-)
I would suspect it may be related to the wire for the rear O2 sensor which was stressed when I took the exhaust down, except that would not cause the fan to stay on, so I am looking for something heating/cooling related.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-27-2011, 07:55 PM   #211
OldNuc

1998 SC2

If the fan is on, the ECTS is no good. That is all that turns on the fan and the SES.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-27-2011, 08:22 PM   #212
macbox

1995 SC2
1998 SW2

Code P0118 which was the cause of the SES light was resolved with a pair of Duralast SU1131 ECTS/Air Temp Sensors, replaced them both, threw the old ones in the garbage. 20 miles on the rebuild and it has smoothed out completely. Runs quiet, good power and acceleration. I did keep it under 3K RPM for the most part for the first 5 miles, I found it hard to stay under 3K. I started hitting it harder for acceleration over the next 15 miles, taking the on and off ramps to help seat the rings.

I have only one concern with the valve cover gasket, and that is the spark plug wells. When I looked in this morning I saw a little bit of oil. If that is my only leak then I am in pretty good shape.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-27-2011, 09:33 PM   #213
ehunter

1996 SL2

When I installed my gasket I had to loosen/tighten bolts to shift the gasket around the plug holes as the blue rubber was disappearing on me on some sides of the holes while other sides of the gasket seemed too far overhanging. I had to play the same games with main perimeter of the gasket, stuff it in some places only to have it pop out in others. So far my persistence has paid off.

After all that hard work you just went through… a few minor drops around plug well should be a walk in the park.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-27-2011, 11:34 PM   #214
OldNuc

1998 SC2

The secret to the aluminum cover permadry gasket is to very carefully stick it in place with RTV and let it set and cure for 24 hours before install. You use the thinnest smear of RTV on the cover and then set the gasket in its proper place to cure. Other than that it is going to be tough to keep it all tucked into place while tightening bolts.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-28-2011, 12:05 AM   #215
macbox

1995 SC2
1998 SW2

So you are saying to let the RTV that holds the gasket on the cover cure for 24 hours, then install on the head. I suppose that would keep things from sliding around and squeezing out.

I didn't really have that problem with the Hylomar, it stayed in one place, it is more of a question of how much to use and giving it the right flash time. I put the hylomar on the gasket, then the cover, and then put them together when dry. That sat for a time and while that was drying I coated the head and the side of the gasket that mates with the head with the hylomar, allowed that to dry, then stuck the cover down. There wasn't much repositioning to it, just a tad, but it wanted to stay stuck where it landed.

Yes ehunter, there are a lot of things that seem like a walk in the park now.

I still need to make a list of my learning experiences, there are so many little details I need to make a summary.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-09-2011, 12:55 PM   #216
macbox

1995 SC2
1998 SW2

There is a total of about 90 miles on the rebuild now. The driveway is clean, and the cardboard only had drips from the first oil change, so no leaks from the bottom end. In the last day as I've put more miles on it, I've revved it up to 4K RPM while accelerating down the on ramps and passing.

Coolant temp is at 3/8 while on the road.

When stopped at a light, there is a slight up and down wander of the RPM needle, and while I don't think it will be a problem, I'm curious if this is normal.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-09-2011, 03:23 PM   #217
OldNuc

1998 SC2

The slight wander is normal. The RPM is not constant and sometimes you actually see it.

Hylomar is very sticky after the solvent flashes off. RTV is more like grease before curing, 2 different products.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!