SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-01-2011, 12:12 AM   #1
tallman54
tallman54 has a spectacular aura abouttallman54 has a spectacular aura about

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
Default Horn replacement ...need advice, thanks

Our horn on the '00 L-1 is dead. Bought a 2 connector replacement (what was on the shelf - Wolo "Loud-One) at AutoZone
figuring I just need to snip the 2 wires on the car and connect to the leads on the new one. Then I was told there was a post somewhere on the 'net saying this isn't quite so easy and that the 2 wires on the car aren't the standard pos and neg leads, one is the pos for the horn and the other is a pos also - it passes through the connector somehow and goes to something to do with the air bags. The person who told me this isn't sure where he read it at and isn't certain now that it applies to an older L series. Ughh. Before I go snipping wires, can anyone tell me if this is true or not ? Search hasn't turned up the answer.

To be clear, I'd like to simply snip the 2 leads that go to the stock horn and attach them to the pos and neg terminals of the new one (much like hooking up a standard speaker). Is this correct ?
Thanks !

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to tallman54's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help tallman54 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
tallman54 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-12-2011, 12:36 PM   #2
tallman54

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
Default Re: Horn replacement ...need advice, thanks

Replaced the horn yesterday, no problems. The only point I would add is that if you peel back the outer black water proofing 'tape' (?) carefully, you won't need shrink tubing as it stretches right back down the wire easily. I snipped the wires at the connector, stripped the end bare, crimped on the new connectors, bolted the assembly back in and that was that.

*I should add that the advice for how to go about 'testing' to see if there was power at the horn by using 2 sections of paper clip - one pushed into the end of the + and - on the clip and then clamping the probes to the paper clips, worked out well also. Much easier than trying to hold the tips of the probes in the tip of the horn wiring end/clip itself (holes are too small for a standard tester probe).

Thanks again to those who responded for my call for help. Its such as simple job once you are sure whats what.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help tallman54 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-12-2011, 12:42 PM   #3
tallman54

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

For members advice for the above see:

"Re-stated:Are the 2 wires that..."

I posted originally on 09/01/11.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-26-2011, 10:52 AM   #4
Tercero
Tercero is on a distinguished road

1997 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallman54 View Post
For members advice for the above see:

"Re-stated:Are the 2 wires that..."

I posted originally on 09/01/11.
Hi Tallman.

I have a '97 Saturn Sl-1. My horn stopped working in the spring, and the airbag light is on. The clockspring is good and I'm guessing the horn is dead. Did you have to remove the light to replace this?

J

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tercero's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tercero reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Tercero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 05:47 PM   #5
Tercero
Tercero is on a distinguished road

1997 SL1

Never mind. I pulled the light, got a replacement from the autowreckers,....and it's still the same. It's probably the clock spring. Screw it. Time to get a steering wheel puller and yank this puppy.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tercero's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tercero reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Tercero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 07:38 AM   #6
tallman54

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Sorry I didn't see your question sooner. I pulled the plug/connector from the horn, stuck 2 halves of a paper clip into the 2 slots in the plug and used needle nose to wrap other end of paper clips around the probes of my multimeter, set it to test for continuity and had my son 'beep' the horn at the steering wheel. I got a 'beep' on the mutlimeter which indicated (full continuity) and so it was the horn that had failed and not the wiring/circuitry. I bought a generic horn from Auto Zone, swapped it out and everything works fine. Had the problem been any more complicated then this, well, I'm afraid I would have been lost.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!