SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Outlook > Outlook General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-12-2011, 10:00 AM   #1
08Carbon
08Carbon is on a distinguished road

2008 Outlook XE
Default Improve gas mileage?

Being that our 2008 XE has no MPG tracking (even my HHR LS has that!) I had to use an MPG tracking app on my iPod Touch on a long distance trip recently. Best I got out of 3 fill ups was 21 MPG. And that's all highway/interstate driving!

Prior to leaving, I changed the oil/filter and also checked the air filter (it was pretty clean, but I blew it off with an air compressor anyway).

Is there anything more that I can do to improve on the MPG or is this the best I can expect from our XE?

2008 Saturn Outlook XE - Purchased 2/16/2011

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 08Carbon's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 08Carbon reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
08Carbon is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-13-2011, 11:15 AM   #2
khansen30
khansen30 is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XR
Default Re: Improve gas mileage?

Would need to know more of the conditions to tell you if that 21MPG is in line with the trend.

There are times that's all I get when I have the A/C going, driving into a head wind, and keeping the speed between 70 and 75. Best MPG I have found is at 65.

2009 GMC SLT2 Acadia (Mine)
Quicksilver - Titanium Leather
Everything

2008 Aura XR (Wifes)
Red Jewel - Tan Leather
Advanced Audio - Sunroof

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to khansen30's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help khansen30 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
khansen30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 12:49 PM   #3
08Carbon
08Carbon is on a distinguished road

2008 Outlook XE

Well, we drove I-95 which has large sections where the speed limit is 70, so we would set the cruise at 75-78 depending on who was driving.
I guess that coupled with luggage in the back didn't help with MPGs, huh?

2008 Saturn Outlook XE - Purchased 2/16/2011

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 08Carbon's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 08Carbon reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
08Carbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 03:24 PM   #4
mattachuz
Advanced Member
mattachuz is on a distinguished road

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08Carbon View Post
Being that our 2008 XE has no MPG tracking (even my HHR LS has that!) I had to use an MPG tracking app on my iPod Touch on a long distance trip recently. Best I got out of 3 fill ups was 21 MPG. And that's all highway/interstate driving!

Prior to leaving, I changed the oil/filter and also checked the air filter (it was pretty clean, but I blew it off with an air compressor anyway).

Is there anything more that I can do to improve on the MPG or is this the best I can expect from our XE?
counting mpgs isnt rocket science lol

mi: 199,xxx

trips:

X = dest
O = ON way

home- Clovis, ca

Pismo Beach: xx
Morro Bay: oo
San Francisco: x
Los Angeles: ooo
Anahiem (disneyland): xxx
Tulare: o,(x-atleast 15)
Visalia: x

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mattachuz's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mattachuz reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mattachuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 06:48 PM   #5
electbc
electbc is on a distinguished road

When I filled up 2 weeks ago and it was over $70, I said enough. Now I am light on the foot except getting on the highway, cruise set at 54 to 58 . I drive 37 miles to work, 2 of those are local driving with big hills going home. The last two tankfuls have me averaging 23mpg, it is mostly highway. I was getting 25 on highway alone after filling up. So it takes me 5 minutes more a trip, but I get and additional 80 miles per tankful.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to electbc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help electbc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
electbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 08:11 AM   #6
electbc
electbc is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by electbc View Post
When I filled up 2 weeks ago and it was over $70, I said enough. Now I am light on the foot except getting on the highway, cruise set at 54 to 58 . I drive 37 miles to work, 2 of those are local driving with big hills going home. The last two tankfuls have me averaging 23mpg, it is mostly highway. I was getting 25 on highway alone after filling up. So it takes me 5 minutes more a trip, but I get and additional 80 miles per tankful.
Ok so now I changed tires from the 18" Goodyear Forterras to the 19" Michelin Latitudes off an Enclave. Am I more aggresive on the pedal? But mileage went down to the 22.5-22.6 range. I will put a few extra PSIs in to see it that makes it to where the goodyears were. Still 480-490 miles out of a tank.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to electbc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help electbc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
electbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 08:06 PM   #7
egates
egates is on a distinguished road

my 2007 XR AWD with 18" wheels and 57k miles gets 14mpg in the mix of driving I do - lots of traffic, stop signs, short trips. Even on 400 mile all highway trips though it never really did better than 18-20mpg The dealer says this is normal mileage

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to egates's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help egates reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
egates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 11:22 PM   #8
Doug C
Doug C will become famous soon enoughDoug C will become famous soon enough

2008 Outlook XE
Attention Re: Improve gas mileage?

Recent trip westbd along the TCH with a head wind 22mpg (500+km) second day first segment moosejaw to med'hat still some head wind 22mpg, then final 300+km up into YYC a whoopin' 38mpg (no calc error as i could see the needle not moving much at all ...)

Earlier eastbound was similiar with the 3 segments (3 top off the tanks) having figures of 26.6/37.5/28.4 mpg (usually 5-9km over the speed limit on the wide open hwy)

Personally i don't think a malfunctioning (again, allegedly new) temp sensor helps !

Since during stay at dest., I had a low of 17mpg, and just before dept. west (fill-up) it was back up to 29mpg ! And these 2 involved mainly town driving, maybe only 100km on the hwy !

This on original summer tires set at spec 35psi !

During the winter (nice sticky toyo go-2s) maybe lost 1-2mpg surprising considering I've read "warnings" that ya lose 30-40% with winter tires ... not my first season !!

doug c

p.s. i also don't do the pedal to the metal thingie tend to ease into it from the light not often much over 2k on the tach !

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Doug C's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Doug C reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Doug C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 07:24 AM   #9
Sterling Archer
Sterling Archer is on a distinguished road

2002 L-Series 2.2L Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08Carbon View Post
Well, we drove I-95 which has large sections where the speed limit is 70, so we would set the cruise at 75-78 depending on who was driving.
I guess that coupled with luggage in the back didn't help with MPGs, huh?
That's your problem. With any vehicle, your fuel economy is going to start dropping off significantly above 70 MPH. If you're doing 75-80 on the highway, your fuel economy is going to suffer. For most vehicles that I've ever driven long distance (ex. VW, Land Cruiser, Camaro, Jeep Cherokee, Mercedes, etc.), the best fuel economy that I ever got (while not moving at a snails pace) was while I was doing between 65 and 70 MPH.

If you want better fuel economy, decrease your speed and make sure that your tires are properly inflated. 70 MPH speed limits are to appease people that want to go 80 MPH without getting a reckless ticket (i.e. in a 60 zone). People that want decent fuel economy keep it to 70 and move over to the right lane.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Sterling Archer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Sterling Archer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Sterling Archer is offline   Reply With Quote