SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Mods
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-08-2011, 04:59 PM   #1
SLenthusiast
SLenthusiast is on a distinguished road

Default Need help with body kit Saturn SL '95

I am now the proud owner of a 1995 Saturn SL suprising only has 70,000 miles, it was a hand me down though from my Gramps. Anywho I want to put a kit on this, its not too expensive and the people at this site I went to said they could give me like a 20% discount. Now I don't know that much so I really need some advice, first this is the kit I'm looking at is from this site bodykits.org it really appeals to me. I don't know how to install this kit so how much would it cost to get it professionally done? Also, do you think this is the best kit and can I get a better one elsewhere? These people sold me pretty well, I called them and they asked my make and model and helped me from there, they didn't rush me and I'm glad cause that ****ing pisses the **** out of me, they said to make sure this is what I wanted because it's a pretty big purchase which is true but I got the extra 500 something to spend. With getting this installed and everything you think it will be worth it? I already got my old system in here and it hits hard, couple of 12" P3's and some after market infinity speakers all of which my friend installed and I helped him.
Some advice would be great from more experienced Saturn owners.
Thanks!
The kit is a "Fast and Furious" after market thing from bodykits.org it won't let me show the direct url

Last edited by SLenthusiast; 07-08-2011 at 05:00 PM.. Reason: explanantion of why theres no pictures

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SLenthusiast's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SLenthusiast reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SLenthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-08-2011, 06:29 PM   #2
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud of

2001 SC2
Default Re: Need help with body kit Saturn SL '95

I'd spend the $500 on a low mileage DOHC to swap into that underpowered thing before I spent it on a body kit.

I stripped a '97 SC2 down to just the hood in ~3hrs (all body panels and lights off), that kit would probably take 6-7 to install. Then you gotta paint it (probably have it painted by a pro) which isn't cheap.

That 20% discount will be eaten up by shipping the kit, pushing the price back over at least $550, if not $600.

Wait, the F&F thing is $560 before shipping (with the 20% off)......how're you paying for that with $500? lol

The proper way to fix a S-Series automatic is to replace it with a 5spd O:)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 11:05 PM   #3
PurdueGuy
Master Member
PurdueGuy is a jewel in the roughPurdueGuy is a jewel in the roughPurdueGuy is a jewel in the rough

1999 SC2
1999 SC1

not too expensive? If you do it right, it'll cost as much as the car is worth.
--------------------------
Body kit: ~$500

Professional installation: ~$over a hundred, easily, since most full body kits for these cars really don't fit quite right, and certainly don't just bolt up

Paint (so you don't look like every other dumb ricer with a body kit that doesn't match their car): $150-400
--------------------------
Plus the car will look like a monster truck, because there won't be enough clearance to lower the car with the kit on and still be able to drive on real roads.

And after that you'll still bust the lower part of the kit up on various bumps, curbs, ramps, potholes, etc, etc, and it'll look like crap.

Not. Worth. It.

SaturnSeries.net owner

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to PurdueGuy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help PurdueGuy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
PurdueGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 11:16 PM   #4
Redhotftw!
Advanced Member
Redhotftw! will become famous soon enough

the kits dont come pre drilled. you have to cut and drill and mount it yourself or professionally. its up to the end user to fabricate mounting provisions onto the kit.

1998 "Red Hot" Sc2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Redhotftw!'s Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Redhotftw! reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Redhotftw! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 02:09 AM   #5
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud of

2001 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redhotftw! View Post
the kits dont come pre drilled. you have to cut and drill and mount it yourself or professionally. its up to the end user to fabricate mounting provisions onto the kit.
They want us to spend that much on the kit and they can't be bothered to mold the mounting holes into it? Lame.

The proper way to fix a S-Series automatic is to replace it with a 5spd O:)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 05:36 AM   #6
shadowspiyre99
shadowspiyre99 is on a distinguished road

1997 SC2

spend the money on performance, all body kits do is attract 16 year old girls, lol jk seriously though like others said body kits done the right way can put you up in the thousands paint install if the body kit needs refurbishing etc

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to shadowspiyre99's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help shadowspiyre99 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
shadowspiyre99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 03:35 PM   #7
tehSaturn
tehSaturn will become famous soon enough

2001 SW2

I'm not even gonna touch this one...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to tehSaturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help tehSaturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
tehSaturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 12:37 AM   #8
alordofchaos
alordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to behold

1998 SL2
1997 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowspiyre99 View Post
all body kits do is attract 16 year old boys
fixed if a 16 yr old girl acts interested in a body kit, chances are she is faking interest in it because the boy acts all interested in it.

Congratulations, you've received a nice, low mileage economy car. Putting a body kit will just make you look like another fast and furious wannabe/poser. if that's your thing, more power to you

If your driving conditions are such that you ever experience snow, steep driveways, bumps, construction, concrete parking stops, or roadkill, your body kit will make you very sad. On the plus side, you will learn about patching fiberglass and painting (or go broke, or drive around with a cracked up bodykit)

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 124k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 02:08 PM   #9
MadPuppy
Advanced Member
MadPuppy is on a distinguished road

1998 SL2

Do you have wheels yet? if you don't I would put some money toward a new set of wheels. maybe drop it an inch or two and be done. IMO, the kit would be a money pit since you would have to keep repairing and painting it (if it's your only DD).

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MadPuppy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MadPuppy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
MadPuppy is offline   Reply With Quote