SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Outlook > Outlook General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-30-2011, 03:37 PM   #1
sagreer70
sagreer70 is on a distinguished road

Default 08 Outlook - High Pitched Grind

Hello -

We have an 08 Outlook XR. It is a great vehicle. We have about 50,000 miles on it now, and recently after the car starts, and especially when idling at a red light, you can hear a high-pitched (relative to the engine) griding, or motor noise. I think the noise goes away (is not drowned out) when you start to move.

My wife took it to our local shop for an oil change and check up this past week, and forgot to ask about the noise. You can hear it, but it's not too loud.

Any ideas on what this could be? I thought it might be low fluids, but I checked the power steering, breaks, and oil, and they are all full.

Thanks!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sagreer70's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sagreer70 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
sagreer70 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-30-2011, 03:58 PM   #2
sagreer70

Default Re: 08 Outlook - High Pitched Grind

Ok - May be the Belt Tensioner. Am checking this.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help sagreer70 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-30-2011, 11:09 PM   #3
onefunkar
Master Member
onefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the rough

2008 Outlook XR
2007 AURA XR

timing chain??? big outlook problem.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to onefunkar's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help onefunkar reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
onefunkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 11:49 PM   #4
mdoj
mdoj is on a distinguished road

How about the power steering pump. There is a service bulletin out on them for noise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mdoj's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mdoj reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mdoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 11:47 AM   #5
sagreer70

I will check that - thanks!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-20-2011, 12:41 AM   #6
sagreer70

The $5 solution may have worked for once!

It appears that the power steering fluid level "full" marker was set low in some (many?) Outlooks. If you search here for Bulletin #PIT4537 it explains the cause:

Customer comments about a whine noise from the power steering system. This may be caused by the power steering
pump not having sufficient fluid.

That's me! Here's the solution the bulletin gives:

"Check for correct fluid level and adjust to Max mark. Then add additional 1.2 oz (35cc) of fluid. This will bring the fluid level 8 - 12 mm over the Max mark. Some vehicles were built with this overfill condition so always check fluid before adding more."

So I tried it, adding 1.2 ounces of fluid over the max. After about a day or so of driving - Ta da! No whine!

This makes sense to me - - my fluids had always been topped off at the dealer, where I got my oil changed, so they may have known to overfill the power steering chamber. But last time, I took it to a local mechanic (I now have about 55k miles, so no more warranty, no more dealer). The local guy did not know about this.

So, just keep this in mind - - over-add the power steering fluid, and it will be good to go. I think you can over-over fill it though, so watch how much you put in.

Thanks for the input!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!