SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-18-2011, 10:42 PM   #1
thebeek
thebeek is on a distinguished road

Sad bad idle, dies....HELP!!!

ok, i have a 1999 sc2. it has some modes, but i dont think it would afect whats going on. but i know people will ask.

intake,full exhaust system,flywheel,short throw shifter,TB,and clutch...i think thats it...yeah..oh, and it has 142,000 miles on it.

first off, i have replaced the iac and the tps.
at start up it idles rough, or it takes forever to start, and then it idles rough.
ones it calms down, it idles about 1300-1400 rpm. driving it seems normal...except for the fact when i push in the clutch (im rolling,) the rpm stays around 1900-2000 rpm...?WHAT!!
And occasionally, when going from a stop, the rpms drop almost to 0.
So basically when i let the clutch out and add the gas in, the car sputters and kicks.

I dont think it could be the MAP. I unplugged the MAP and the motor goes bonkers. so it sounds good. the only thing i think it could be is something with the coils, crap on the wires or the ICM. hope its not the ICM...thats a 130 bucks i would like to save.
PLEASE HELP!!!

oh, i haven't drove it after i installed the tps. but before i installed it, the rpms would bounce between 1300-1400 rpm.i don't think i needed a tps replacement anyways.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to thebeek's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help thebeek reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
thebeek is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-19-2011, 08:01 AM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: bad idle, dies....HELP!!!

Quote:
it has some modes
Mods, not modes.

First thing to check is if this engine still uses the original faulty round nosed plastic coolant sensor. Remove it for inspection, replace it immediately if it is with the flat nosed brass replacement from any auto store.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 06:43 PM   #3
thebeek

lol...modes..man i feel like a noob.

man, thats the last thing i would of thought...and i just put a new MAP today.
ok, thanks for the tech......if you dont mined. Do you know why this little thing causes this?

Oh man, i totally forgot to mention that my temp gauge does not work. I thought it was the thermostat, could it be the sensor?....

Last edited by thebeek; 05-19-2011 at 06:49 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help thebeek reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-19-2011, 07:06 PM   #4
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Temperature gauge n/g and poor erratic idle are from the same faulty coolant sensor. The sensor is needed by the pcm to know what air fuel mixtures are needed while driving the temperature gauge.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 07:29 PM   #5
1996SL11.9L
1996SL11.9L has a spectacular aura about1996SL11.9L has a spectacular aura about

2002 SL1

Use regular copper plugs no fancy crap also.

The ICM's are pretty hardy if they are the origional factory unit. Just need removed and cleaned on occasion.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 1996SL11.9L's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 1996SL11.9L reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
1996SL11.9L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 06:00 PM   #6
thebeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
Mods, not modes.

First thing to check is if this engine still uses the original faulty round nosed plastic coolant sensor. Remove it for inspection, replace it immediately if it is with the flat nosed brass replacement from any auto store.
You are the man! The old plastic sensor was cracked!! Well, at least I replaced all the sensors. Only two remain. And i did some much needed maintenance, because the saty has been setting for about a year. Starting it every other day or so. Cleaned out intake and the intake manifold. Compression is good, and runs just like new.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-26-2011, 04:12 AM   #7
Warshark73
Warshark73 is on a distinguished road

1995 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebeek View Post
The old plastic sensor was cracked!!
What shape was the connector in? When those sensors crack, they let coolant leak into the sensor and, possibly, into the connector and can corrode both. If the sensor is clean, you're good. If it's got a little bit of gunk in it, you can probably clean it out. If it looks really bad, you might have to replace it.

Overkill is underrated

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Warshark73's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Warshark73 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Warshark73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 06:01 PM   #8
thebeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warshark73 View Post
What shape was the connector in? When those sensors crack, they let coolant leak into the sensor and, possibly, into the connector and can corrode both. If the sensor is clean, you're good. If it's got a little bit of gunk in it, you can probably clean it out. If it looks really bad, you might have to replace it.
Yeah it good and dry.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-31-2011, 05:18 PM   #9
thebeek

the problem......
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20110531_164351.jpg (111.6 KB, 8 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!