SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-04-2011, 08:38 PM   #1
collmm
collmm is on a distinguished road

Default 1997 SC2 Key Issue

Hi Everyone! I am so happy to find the forum. We just purchased a 1997 SC2 as our teenage son's first car. It's a terrific little automatic in excellent condition with only 75,000 original miles...hard to believe but true! This is our second Saturn as we also purchased an SC1 several years ago for our daughter...years of trouble free driving!

Our "new" SC2 only came with one original key and fob. The fob opens the doors, locks the car and honks on the second press of the lock button, opens the trunk, and the panic button works. I had an extra key made at the hardware store and when we unlocked the car and opened the door, the horn honked repeatedly and the car wouldn't start. Pressing the panic button stopped the honking. I then tried the "real" key and the same thing happened...the horn honked, horn became louder when the key was placed in the ignition, and the car wouldn't start. The GM dealer has no idea (wish there were still Saturn dealers).

I have searched the web but am unable to find a similar problem but was hoping someone on the forum could help. Thanks so much!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to collmm's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help collmm reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
collmm is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-04-2011, 08:51 PM   #2
adventureoflink
Master Member
adventureoflink has a spectacular aura aboutadventureoflink has a spectacular aura aboutadventureoflink has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL2
Default Re: 1997 SC2 Key Issue

...by any chance, did you forget to disarm the alarm (unlocking it via the RKE) before trying to open the door using the key and starting the car?

97 SL2
DOB: 3/19/97
Date Obtained: 5/30/07

2004 Merc G.Marquis GS
DOB: 2/4/04
Date Obtained: 7/6/12

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to adventureoflink's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help adventureoflink reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
adventureoflink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 09:40 PM   #3
collmm
collmm is on a distinguished road

No, although my son is a responsible kid, I'm just wondering what we'd do if he lost his keys or if we needed access to the car while he's at school and he has his keys with him. It seems like we MUST use the fob...should I order another and program it/have programmed as a back up?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to collmm's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help collmm reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
collmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 10:02 PM   #4
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud of

2001 SC2

If it's locked & armed with the fob you have to unlock it with the fob otherwise your breaking into it

eBay usually has fobs for under $30 shipped and there's directions in the How-To section on how programming the fobs is done.

The proper way to fix a S-Series automatic is to replace it with a 5spd O:)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 10:09 PM   #5
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

You don't need a "Saturn" fob, just a GM one with four buttons and an FCC code of AB01502T. Search also on "ABO1502T", as that's a common listing error. Programming 411 here: http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59192 . One of the options is "no security"; you can lock the car with the remote, unlock it with the key, and it'll start without incident.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 12:06 AM   #6
Saturninin
Saturninin will become famous soon enough

2005 VUE 3.5L
1994 SL2

Also look at Junkyards for key fobs

My 98 came with none...... picked 2 outa a JY

then 98 was totaled and found another (up to 4 for my 96 SW2)

Wanted: Dealer items (frames/ key-chains)

Miles(k) 2013~15
94 HCE ~180
05 Vue 3.5 87~140
98 SL1 260~426
08 Outlook XE 20~160
95 SC2 ~128

Past
96 SW2, 98 SL2
160k+ 95 SL,98 SW2, 03 Vue-I4

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Saturninin's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Saturninin reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Saturninin is offline   Reply With Quote