SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-18-2011, 01:42 AM   #1
q3319
q3319 is on a distinguished road

1995 SC2
Default Starting Problems

Hey guys, I've posted about this before. I have a 95 SC2 that hasn't been starting since early February. I tried fixing it for a couple weeks, but then one of my relatives loaned me a car for a while. Now that car's toast, so fixing my Saturn is my only option!

Here's what happened:
I left it outside overnight on one of those below zero nights we had here in Colorado in Feb., and whether or not that has anything to do with my problem is still something I haven't figured out. I went outside to try and start it and it turned over, but never fired. So I got it towed home. I checked the ECTS, and It has a flat brass tip, which leads me to believe it is not the stock one, which I've heard causes this problem. I might just replace that and the other similar sensor that's right above it just for the heck of it. But I've been looking into it further, and I don't know what else it can be. I tried starting it with the accelerator all the way down, which turns of the fuel injectors, and it actually started for the first time in forever. BUT, I had to keep it at about 3000 rpm or else it would stall after that. So I'm guessing it's just getting too much gas. I've got 4 new fuel injectors on their way. If there's anything else you think it could be, I'd appreciate your input. Thanks!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to q3319's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help q3319 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
q3319 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-18-2011, 04:49 AM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: Starting Problems

What condition are the spark plugs in? Are the ignition parts, ignition module and coils clean and free of corrosion? Plug wires?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 06:48 AM   #3
hoggman
hoggman has a spectacular aura abouthoggman has a spectacular aura abouthoggman has a spectacular aura about

1994 SL1
2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

my iac valve was acting up and i guess plugged the port and i had to start the car the way you did.i changed it and the car started like before and the problem went away.good luck to you

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to hoggman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help hoggman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
hoggman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 02:44 PM   #4
wi111y
Advanced Member
wi111y is on a distinguished road

1995 SL
1995 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoggman View Post
my iac valve was acting up and i guess plugged the port and i had to start the car the way you did.i changed it and the car started like before and the problem went away.good luck to you
This ^ ^ ^

A quick way to check if that's what it is:

Remove the sensor (it's on the throttle body), then try to start the car. It should start but it will idle very high because of the now open hole where the IAC was

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wi111y's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wi111y reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
wi111y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 04:08 PM   #5
q3319

1995 SC2

Thanks guys. My new injectors just got here so I'm gonna put it all back together and check the IAC valve. Also, I'm a little worried a might've dropped a piece down into the bay off the fuel rail. I think it might be part of the fuel pressure regulator. I have the rail, a little filter-like disc, and what's attached to the car. Is there anything missing there? Thanks!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help q3319 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-18-2011, 07:41 PM   #6
q3319

1995 SC2

Just got it started! Woohoo! Seem's like it's idling a little low and the RPM's drop pretty fast when it shifts. Figure that's just the computer getting used to the new injectors?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-18-2011, 08:48 PM   #7
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Well. the car went from not starting to having new injectors and running. Drive it for now. The O2 sensor reads exhaust oxygen content and provides direct feedback to the pcm about engine tune; the pcm knows what's needed to run the engine based on every sensor and automatically adjusts from freezing cold start to fully warmed up. Injectors are just one set of slave units commanded by the pcm to do one thing (squirt fuel) while the O2 sensor reads the results. Closed loop is how the pcm can adjust for engine running.

If nothing else occurs and everything's ok, this thread ends on a good note as you fixed whatever went wrong. Anybody can guess (based on what's posted) that it was bad gas that fouled all the injectors. No one can guess what else will occur. If other issues pop up, post your concerns.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 09:01 PM   #8
off-track
Master Member
off-track has a spectacular aura aboutoff-track has a spectacular aura aboutoff-track has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by q3319 View Post
Also, I'm a little worried a might've dropped a piece down into the bay off the fuel rail. I think it might be part of the fuel pressure regulator. I have the rail, a little filter-like disc, and what's attached to the car. Is there anything missing there?
Glad you got it running but.. aside from the FPR itself there should be a c-clip that fastens the FPR to the rail. It's a fairly tight fit without the clip but I'd be concerned that it would pop off without it. Did you find/replace that? The clip has two different sides and only goes on one way BTW.

1997 - SL2, barebones, 161k, Auto - Rebuild complete and.. burnt a valve 20k later Arrgh!
Purchased 114k 10/07
Added OEM CC

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to off-track's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help off-track reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
off-track is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 09:18 PM   #9
q3319

1995 SC2

Yeah, I have the clip back on there for sure. Thanks guys, everything seems fine for now. I appreciate your help and you all have a good night!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!