SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > General Saturn Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-02-2011, 08:54 AM   #21
macbox
macbox is on a distinguished road

1995 SC2
1998 SW2
Default Re: Goodbye Saturn: Thanks for the Ride (1985-2010)

Thank you Charlie for being here. I've been driving Saturns for 15 years, and have been following the brand since I first saw a TV ad back in 1993.

I'm doing what it takes to keep my S-Series on the road.

#4, 1995 SC2m, 163K, 400 Miles per quart. Garage queen. Currently in 1000 pieces for a rebuild.
#5, 1998 SW2m, rebuilt at 126K, running nicely at 204K miles.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to macbox's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help macbox reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
macbox is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-02-2011, 09:04 AM   #22
s3nfo
s3nfo has a spectacular aura abouts3nfo has a spectacular aura abouts3nfo has a spectacular aura about

2001 L-Series 3.0L Wagon

Quite possibly the best article on Saturn I've read Charlie, those media credentials sure were well deserved.

Jerry N

"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it, misdiagnosing it and then misapplying the wrong remedies."

Groucho Marx

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to s3nfo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help s3nfo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
s3nfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 10:53 AM   #23
NJastra
NJastra is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

That was a beautiful article to read and I'm sure goes even deeper than what was stated. Although I'm a relatively new member here, I certainly appreciate all of your hard work and dedication. I may not have owned a Saturn like many here throughout its entire history, but I have been a lifelong GM guy and always had an appreciation for Saturn and its history.

Thanks again and I hope to be part of your site for the rest of my Saturn's journey.

-Jon-

3 dr XR, Twilight Blue, 5 speed manual, 18" 5-star rims, Leather trim package, Heated seats, VXMMI (Advanced Audio)

1987 Z28 - modded

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to NJastra's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help NJastra reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
NJastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 02:05 PM   #24
GR898SL2
Master Member
GR898SL2 will become famous soon enoughGR898SL2 will become famous soon enough

My family shall do their best to keep their two orphans in top form for many years to come.

No more Saturns! :(
'11 & '15 Subaru Forester; '15 Nissan Altima

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to GR898SL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help GR898SL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
GR898SL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 02:48 PM   #25
linuxdude
linuxdude is on a distinguished road

1997 SL2

I concur with cris_thomas, if a donation or two is needed for Saturnfans.com, just ask.

Heck, with all the money I've saved doing basic repairs myself (like a water pump) the return on investment--in a retroactive way-- of a $20 donation to Saturnfans.com would be spectacular.

When I think of the likely future benefit to me personally of having Saturnfans.com expertise on tap, it's clear that contributing a few dollars to the site is easily the most compelling investment opportunity on the planet right now

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to linuxdude's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help linuxdude reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
linuxdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 04:11 PM   #26
Routs
Routs is on a distinguished road

Very well written article. Always nice to know more about the man behind the site and some history on how we got where we are today. Thank you for this site where we can exchange ideas, problems and fixes. I wonder how many thousands of dollars you have helped this community save over the years?

As the proud owner of two Saturn Vues, I'm looking forward to me and my family enjoying them for years. While they aren't perfect, they are pretty bulletproof and have a unique style which I believe will allow them to age gracefully. Hearing some of the miles our more veteran members have on their little mini-suv's/cross overs, I'm optimistic of a similar life span.

I'm not sure we'll ever see another new Saturn on the road (unless GM decides to release a specific vehicle with that name someday) but I think the brand has left a memorable legacy in it's wake.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Routs's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Routs reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Routs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 05:40 PM   #27
unkle bik
Master Member
unkle bik is a jewel in the roughunkle bik is a jewel in the roughunkle bik is a jewel in the roughunkle bik is a jewel in the rough

2007 AURA XR
2008 Astra XE

Whoa!!

You had me scared, Charlie. I thought this would be the last days of SF. I was able to accept the fact that the Saturn end happened a couple years back. But would be shocked if this site disappeared. There is a wealth of info on this site that would be sadly missed. Just look at the S-Series tech stuff with Old Nuc's & Madpogues help.

All four in our family (me,wife,daughter & son) are proud owners of Saturns & rely on this site for it's great help in keeping them running. I have found many friends here & enjoy the commaraderie. Even though I am not here as often as in the past, I look forward to posts of fellow members (good & bad)

Keep up the good work, Charlie!
Vik

93 SW2
96 SL2
01 SL2
02 L200
08 Astra Xe
07 Aura XR

Complacency leads to mediocrity.
Mediocrity leads to our demise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to unkle bik's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help unkle bik reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
unkle bik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 11:22 PM   #28
col_dude190
Advanced Member
col_dude190 has a spectacular aura aboutcol_dude190 has a spectacular aura aboutcol_dude190 has a spectacular aura about

2006 VUE Red Line
2004 ION-3 Quad Coupe

To Charlie, thank you so much for all of your hard work with this site and everything that you do to make it such a great community. I can only imagine how difficult it can be for you at times to juggle everything going on in your daily life along with managing this site. As everyone has said, if you ever need anything to help keep the site up and running, whether it be money or help running the site, just let us know. There are a lot of generous and talented people out there who will do whatever it takes to keep this site up and running! I have learned a great deal from this site about our vehicles and I love being able to share my knowledge and experiences to help others. I hope to be a member of Saturnfans for many years to come!

Quote:
Originally Posted by s4turngolf3r View Post
Good article. You know whats funny? My former Saturn dealer recently reopened as a Nissan dealership. How ironic
Just of curiosity, which Cleveland Saturn dealer did you used to go to? I purchased an ION and one of my Vues from Saturn of Mentor and always used them for warranty work as they were the closest Saturn dealer to where I live (about an hour from Western PA if ya drive fast ). They became a Nissan store fairly early into the Saturn dealer closings. I was pretty disappointed as they were always a great dealer and I loved the people there. All of my Saturns are now out of warranty, so it isn't a huge deal for me, but it was sad to see that dealer go away. They keep sending me flyers to come look at a new Nissan, but that won't happen so long as my Vues are up and running.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to col_dude190's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help col_dude190 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
col_dude190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 12:27 AM   #29
jaman
jaman is on a distinguished road

2005 ION-2 Sedan
Checkered Flag Re: Goodbye Saturn: Thanks for the Ride (1985-2010)

Goodbye -- and thank you Charlie for providing us with this very informative site . We will all miss your postings ! when you see me screaming
down the freeway in my red ion 2 please wave and keep the Saturn memories alive

SPACE )))) )))) ))) THE FINAL FRONTIER ((( (((( (((( TO BOLDLY GO WHERE NO SATURN HAS GONE BEFORE ((

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jaman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jaman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 12:30 AM   #30
mkaresh
Advanced Member
mkaresh is on a distinguished road

Great piece, Charlie. I've long held out this forum as proof that GM should have found some way to keep Saturn going. Forums like this don't happen without a dedicated group of owners, one in particular.

When it was announced that Saturn would be closed I suggested expanding the forum to cover Buick, or starting a sister forum to cover Buick. Which is where GM hopes Saturn owners will go (a pro or a con?) and which has no especially good forum for current models. Not the same, I know, which I assume is why you did neither.

truedelta.com -- need more Saturns!
More useful reliability information -- first info on Aura and Outlook
Price comparisons, quick and thorough

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mkaresh's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mkaresh reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mkaresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 12:31 AM   #31
smeat
smeat is on a distinguished road

With 347k miles on my 95 SL it's hard to imagine people turned away from the brand. I've driven it to every state one can drive to, lived in it for months at a time, did a perfect 180 on a gravel road for a local commercial, kissed every girl I've ever kissed in (or at least on the hood of) it, been rear ended, watched it get destroyed by softball hail only to bring it back as it has always brought me back, no matter where we were from high mountain dirt roads to Galveston beaches. The car is beat to hell, but it runs nice and it's seen me through almost half my life. I lost the picture of me buying the car a long time ago, but I still have the car, like an old buddy, he may not be the best chick magnet, but if someone doesn't like him, they're not worth the time.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to smeat's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help smeat reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
smeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 12:31 AM   #32
layitlo
layitlo is on a distinguished road

1997 SC1

I don't have much of a story about saturn. I drove a s10 blazer for close to 20 years and I wouldn't drive anything else. But when I didn't have any options I was given one to buy my 97 saturn sc1. And till today I'm glad I bought. It wasn't hard to work on, parts were easy to buy. And above all it was fun to drive. Only bad thing it had for it was a being to small for me and the kids. I did some trading and now drive a chrysler sebring but if I ever came across a shot at another one that is a 4dr I will take a good look at it. I do sish they would keep them but just like the s10 for us minitruckers everythign has an end. I enjoyed the site here and what I learned was very helpful to me. I do hope that more people find this place helpful to them as well. Have a happy new year. Be safe and keep it real.

http://www.myspace.com/layitlo add me if you like
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3090985 for my saturn
email-layitlo88@aol.com
aim-layitlo88
yahoo-layitlo_88

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to layitlo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help layitlo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
layitlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 12:33 AM   #33
PaulGraz
PaulGraz has a spectacular aura aboutPaulGraz has a spectacular aura about

2001 L-Series 2.2L Wagon

Wow - At first I thought this was Charlie saying that he was shutting down the site or something.

Charlie - we first interacted online before you had a website, back on the Saturn "listserver". It was hosted on a college server somewhere - wasn't it UCSD?

I had joined that list in 93, just before buying my first Saturn, a used 92 SL2. Blue-Black, 5-speed, teardrop rims, and a spoiler. By late 95 I was trading it in on a brand new 96 SC2, after buying my wife a new 95 SW2 6 months before. I still miss those cars, but we got alot of life out of them before moving on.

We drove the 95 SW2 to Spring Hill for Homecoming 2 (the sequel!). I was bummed that I couldn't go to the first one. It was so hot my wife and daughter nearly passed out!

And sometime around there I sent you all my pics from the NY auto show when the L-series was first shown. And not long after that we bought an LW200 - which we still own (over 170K), and I can honestly say has been the most reliable car we've ever had - bar none.

It's been a fun ride. But to me, Saturn died a few years ago when the products were no longer unique, but just re-badged GM stuff. I felt they could have done so much more. But GM just didn't get it.

So hats off to you Charlie, and keep this site going as long as you can. It's worth it, and even if we don't say so - everyone appreciates your efforts.

Thanks.

----
~Paul
2001 LW200 (4th saturn owned) 248K+ Miles!
71 Volvo 1800E, 73 Volvo 1800ES, 08 Volvo C30, 11 Volvo V50
Gone on to other owners: 92 SL2, 95 SW2, 96 SC2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to PaulGraz's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help PaulGraz reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
PaulGraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 12:35 AM   #34
1FUNSUV
1FUNSUV is on a distinguished road

2006 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaman View Post
Goodbye -- and thank you Charlie for providing us with this very informative site . We will all miss your postings ! when you see me screaming
down the freeway in my red ion 2 please wave and keep the Saturn memories alive
Thanks Charlie for the great leadership and ongoing support throughout the duration of this wonderful forum. Yes, like millions of others, I'm also very disappointed and saddened to learn that GM had officially pulled the plug on the Saturn line.

Just didn't make a lot of sense to me, but they claimed it was about the money at the end. Oh well. At any rate, I continue to enjoy and drive our 2006 Saturn Vue with the 3.5l V6 Honda equipped mill. Only 59K miles on her and still running like new and very dependable and cost efficient I might add also.

A great little commuter vehicle here in crazy San Francisco. Yet, mighty powerful enough (250HP), safe, and fuel efficient for those long, out-of-town trips as well. Plan on driving her until 100K and with regular maintenance it should be able to reach this milestone no prob. Fortunately, our local GM dealership will continue to service our Saturn Vue, so no problem in this regard!!!

In closing, many thanks again Charlie for everything Saturn. I learned a lot from all of the wonderful Saturn members and I like to thank each of your also. Thanks again and Happy New Year to ALL!

Our New Daily Commute Car: 2006 Saturn Vue 3.5l V6

Our Special Weekend Thrill Ride: 2005 Dinan S1 Tuned BMW E60 545i Sports Sedan!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 1FUNSUV's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 1FUNSUV reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
1FUNSUV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 12:46 AM   #35
Ninesvnsicks
Ninesvnsicks is on a distinguished road

1996 SC2

I just sold my 96 SC2 to my friend the other day too I already miss it. He freakin peels out and blows the tire out pissed me off. He needs new tires now so his fault lol.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Ninesvnsicks's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Ninesvnsicks reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Ninesvnsicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 12:53 AM   #36
jbaron76
jbaron76 has a spectacular aura aboutjbaron76 has a spectacular aura aboutjbaron76 has a spectacular aura about

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Thank you Charlie!

I don't post very often, but I can always rely on this site and its members for reliable information for my Saturn. It is sad to say goodbye to a once-great car company.

Thanks for all your hard work!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jbaron76's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jbaron76 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jbaron76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 12:54 AM   #37
abkaiser
abkaiser will become famous soon enough

Thanks for everything, Charlie - it was great having you as our host for so many years. I do believe Saturnalia is the forum I've been a member of the longest, and I'm proud that's so.

Saturn was truly something different, and I'm sad it's gone. I've owned three Saturns over the years, and I was hoping to own more. But it's not going to happen.

My first Saturn (95/96? SL) drove me though college. The second (99 SC2) drove me to see my first job, my marriage, and my baby daughter. Now my daughter's five, and my third Saturn (02 SL) is what she calls "the silver car".

It's just a car brand, but it was definitely the best.

So long, Saturn.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to abkaiser's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help abkaiser reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
abkaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 12:54 AM   #38
JerryHughes
Master Member
JerryHughes has a spectacular aura aboutJerryHughes has a spectacular aura aboutJerryHughes has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
A new story entry has been added:

Goodbye Saturn: Thanks for the Ride (1985-2010)
Thank you, Charlie, for all the work you've put into this site! I've never come upon another site with so much great information from so many great people. It's been helpful beyond description and that's coming from someone who can hardly turn a wrench. I'm sure everyone who's visited this site is as thankful as I am. Good luck in the future and keep that Saturn runnin!

Jerry

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to JerryHughes's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help JerryHughes reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
JerryHughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 12:55 AM   #39
KevKingoftheSea
KevKingoftheSea is on a distinguished road

I've never posted here, but I've gotten valuable information here on a couple of occasions.

I'd just like to say that my first (and so far only) car is a 1997 SC2 and it's never treated me wrong. I bought it just short of 150,000 miles, and it's shown me no signs of slowing down, and I love that little car. It's a manual, and I would choose to drive it over most of the automatics out there any day. If I'm lucky it will last long enough for me to teach my girlfriend, and perhaps even our future kids, to drive a manual on it. Saturn made some great cars in their time, and I hate to see them go.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to KevKingoftheSea's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help KevKingoftheSea reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
KevKingoftheSea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 01:13 AM   #40
HiWire
HiWire has a spectacular aura aboutHiWire has a spectacular aura aboutHiWire has a spectacular aura about

2001 SC2

Thanks, Charlie.

I've always enjoyed my time here and my 2001 SC2 is still going strong. I miss the staff at my old dealership and my feelings for GM are pretty negative after the last couple of years.

Modified SC2

Take it to the track

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to HiWire's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help HiWire reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
HiWire is offline   Reply With Quote