SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Mods
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-15-2008, 05:51 PM   #1
triple_el
triple_el is on a distinguished road

Default pop-up headlight mod

I have a '93 SC2, and the headlight covers are really beat up (dented/rusty) I was originally going to replace them, but I was thinking... I don't really like the pop-up headlights anyway. So while I was scouring the forums for alternatives, I came across this image:

I know that's a probe converted from pop-up to fixed-position headlights, but I'm not looking for a "how-to", I'm looking for advice.

I want to make a cover like that for my SC2 headlights. My dad** thinks I should be able to use a flat sheet (since the covers are essentially flat anyway) of tempered glass, plexi, or what-have-you... My question is whether or not I need a full enclosure... I don't know much about headlights, but I believe you can buy small sealed projector bulbs, so I wouldn't need to build a reflector for my cover. So I would essentially be removing the pop-up bracket and cover, and attaching a clear cover in the place of the stock covers. Then, I would make a bracket for the sealed bulbs and not care that water can leak around the sides of the cover. That would be my first choice.

Otherwise, I'm thinking that I'll have to make a fully-enclosed headlight assembly, which would be much more involved.

I haven't looked at the wiring harness yet, but I assume it won't be too difficult... I have a manual and my brother is an electrical engineer. I'm more concerned with the mechanical aspect of this project.

Anyone care to weigh in on this? I'm pretty much looking for bulb recommendations, logistical advice, and ideas on how I could attach my cover to the car sturdily without interfering with the aesthetics of the mod.

**Yes, I am only 17, but please don't hold that against me. I rebuilt this car's engine this summer and have been chipping away at the multiple problems it has. I'm quite determined, I just like bouncing ideas off other people.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to triple_el's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help triple_el reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
triple_el is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-15-2008, 08:18 PM   #2
rc1488
Master Member
rc1488 has a spectacular aura aboutrc1488 has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL2
1995 SC2
Default Re: pop-up headlight mod

If you make the glass part of the hood, then I think you should be alright. Make the lights permanent in place and have it so when the hood comes down, the plastic is right over the bulbs.

Heres the issue though. The angle may not be enough where the beam can project out. It may get clipped by the front bumber, since your bulb will almost 2-3in lower than the stock bulb. More investicating would have to be done.

You would have to get projectors also

Current: 95 SC2 Man 97 SL2 Auto 98 SL1 Auto 01 SL1 Man 02 SL1 Man
Past: 94 SL2 Man 95 SL2 Man 95 SL2 Man 96 SL2 Auto 97 SL2 Man 98 SL2 Auto 99 SL2 Auto
2010 SCCA Mohud Street Championship-2nd Place

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rc1488's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rc1488 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rc1488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 02:51 PM   #3
PurdueGuy
Master Member
PurdueGuy is a jewel in the roughPurdueGuy is a jewel in the roughPurdueGuy is a jewel in the rough

1999 SC2
1999 SC1

The angle is a big obstacle. Find a way to measure the angle, and you can figure out how much space you have to work with. It's going to be tough. The only car I've seen/heard of that has done this, did it for show, and they didn't have enough room to really do it right. It looked good, but functionally the lights did a lot better at giving a clear view of the powerlines than the road.

SaturnSeries.net owner

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to PurdueGuy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help PurdueGuy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
PurdueGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 09:23 PM   #4
triple_el

This kinda shoots down the whole "affix the cover to the hood" idea, but would take care of the angle issue... reference this image:

Below the pop-up headlights, there is a rippled part on the plastic bumper cover. if I cut that out and extended the cover to there, it should provide enough clearance... I plan on installing clear corner lights, too... I would rather not do that, but if it's necessary, it's an option.

Can anyone recommend what kind or even a specific brand/model of headlamp to use for something like this?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help triple_el reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-16-2008, 10:00 PM   #5
wishihadacamaro
Advanced Member
wishihadacamaro is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2
2002 SL2

If the projectors are sealed then couldn't you just attach the plexiglass to the bumper once you cut off that little plastic piece on the bumper? Are the stock flip-up headlights flat on the top, or curved? If they are curved then you have to heat up the plexiglass and bend it into shape.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wishihadacamaro's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wishihadacamaro reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
wishihadacamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 01:14 AM   #6
coolcat2
Advanced Member
coolcat2 is on a distinguished road

1996 SC2
2002 SL1

I belive I read that the owner of those headlight mods had access to a vacuum molder.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to coolcat2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help coolcat2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
coolcat2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 01:18 AM   #7
plastic torpedo
plastic torpedo will become famous soon enoughplastic torpedo will become famous soon enough

2000 SL2
1994 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcat2 View Post
I belive I read that the owner of those headlight mods had access to a vacuum molder.
That's correct, and that would be my friend. He is thinking about making inexpensive molds for 1st gen SC2 owners as a side project, and my 94 SC2 would be a test mule.

2000 SL2 5-speed turbo
MSnS-E fuel & spark controlled @ 17-20 psi (methanol injected)
Fully forged, P&P head and manifolds, FSR turbo cams, balanced to 9k RPM
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3070918

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to plastic torpedo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help plastic torpedo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
plastic torpedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 03:13 AM   #8
coolcat2
Advanced Member
coolcat2 is on a distinguished road

1996 SC2
2002 SL1

No more pop-up? I could be very interested!

Last edited by coolcat2; 11-17-2008 at 03:15 AM.. Reason: mispelled

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to coolcat2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help coolcat2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
coolcat2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 08:02 AM   #9
OnDaGround
Master Member
OnDaGround has a spectacular aura aboutOnDaGround has a spectacular aura about

1993 SC2

Have fun, let me know what happens, I thought about doing it once for a HID conversion, but I think I am just gonna go with what I got.

Saturnless...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OnDaGround's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OnDaGround reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OnDaGround is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 07:03 PM   #10
triple_el

Thanks! I admit, it's going to be a while until I get to this (probably until summer - I don't want to get rid of my pop-ups badly enough to do this in a Minnesota winter) but when I do, I'll try to document it and I'll certainly let you know how it turns out!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-18-2008, 11:16 PM   #11
quiksc2
Master Member
quiksc2 has a spectacular aura aboutquiksc2 has a spectacular aura aboutquiksc2 has a spectacular aura about

2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

I'd love a 1G coupe to make into a race-only car, and those pop ups are probably the worst thing about them. I was planning on cutting out right below the light...

If I wanted ride quality, I would drive a Cadillac. If I wanted to be a sheep, I would drive something that says Vtec on the side of it...
DCS

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to quiksc2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help quiksc2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
quiksc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 08:05 AM   #12
OnDaGround
Master Member
OnDaGround has a spectacular aura aboutOnDaGround has a spectacular aura about

1993 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by quiksc2 View Post
I'd love a 1G coupe to make into a race-only car, and those pop ups are probably the worst thing about them. I was planning on cutting out right below the light...
ehh the car looks sexy with them down and like crap when they are up. When its just the parking lights on it looks great. Especially when the car is lowered with rims or something.

Saturnless...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OnDaGround's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OnDaGround reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OnDaGround is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 12:17 PM   #13
quiksc2
Master Member
quiksc2 has a spectacular aura aboutquiksc2 has a spectacular aura aboutquiksc2 has a spectacular aura about

2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnDaGround View Post
ehh the car looks sexy with them down and like crap when they are up. When its just the parking lights on it looks great. Especially when the car is lowered with rims or something.
A friend of mine had a Probe, and he just mounted some good fog lights, and never used his headlights...

If I wanted ride quality, I would drive a Cadillac. If I wanted to be a sheep, I would drive something that says Vtec on the side of it...
DCS

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to quiksc2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help quiksc2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
quiksc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 09:29 AM   #14
bigalpha
bigalpha will become famous soon enough

1997 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by triple_el View Post
Thanks! I admit, it's going to be a while until I get to this (probably until summer - I don't want to get rid of my pop-ups badly enough to do this in a Minnesota winter) but when I do, I'll try to document it and I'll certainly let you know how it turns out!
Did you ever attempt this?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bigalpha's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bigalpha reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bigalpha is offline   Reply With Quote