SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Aura > Aura General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-15-2008, 09:07 PM   #21
MikeS
MikeS is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Changing the spark plugs

This thread has reminded me of my Taurus SHO (FWD, transverse V6). I had to psyche myself up to change the plugs. Needed several different jointed extensions, a mirror, a flex light, the flexibility of an Olympic gymnast and at least 2 hrs. My back looked like a roller coaster by the time I'd finished.

The engine was a jewel (Ford block, Yamaha head/intake etc.) but the rest of the car was typical Ford c**p. Still miss it though...

'07 Aura XE (wife's)
'03 BMW 530 (mine)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MikeS's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MikeS reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
MikeS is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-16-2008, 07:35 AM   #22
cverstij
cverstij is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XR
2008 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by VWCarcrazy View Post
As far as CPA's, I never mix business and pleasure.

Huh?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cverstij's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cverstij reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cverstij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 09:02 AM   #23
VWCarcrazy
Advanced Member
VWCarcrazy is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XE

Yes, that was always one of my "favorites" Taurus SHO with the Yamaha engine. That, and the Taurus with the 3.8L V6. Place car on lift. Remove bolt on rear engine mount, loosten bolt on front engine mount - and "rotate" the engine forward. Access rear plugs from underside of car. Of course my all-time favorite was the Chevrolet Astro van. Not a traverse engine, but you had to access the passenger side rear plug through an access panel from inside the passenger side footwell. Helps if you are slimmer and double-jointed. LOL.

2008 Aura XE 2.4L
Ocean Mist/Titanium

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to VWCarcrazy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help VWCarcrazy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
VWCarcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 10:03 AM   #24
Gerry Proctor
Master Member
Gerry Proctor has a spectacular aura aboutGerry Proctor has a spectacular aura about

2008 Astra XR
2008 SKY Red Line

Tough plug changing isn't exactly a recent phenomenon. The '70s Chevy Monza with a V8, remove the driver-side wheel, take out the engine mount, jack up the engine and remove the front plugs through the wheel well. 2nd gen Mustang (and Fairlanes) with a bigblock (especially with thermactor) took a number of extensions and universals and a couple of hours and a half a box of bandaids. Chrysler was notorious for difficult B and RB engine plug changes causing more than one wrencher to torch holes in the fender panels to get to the plugs, particularly on the Max Wedge cars with the tall exhaust manifolds.

It's more difficult overall for many transverse V6 cars today but, again, it's not like we haven't been there before. Except back then, plug changes were every 12k miles.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Gerry Proctor's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Gerry Proctor reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Gerry Proctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 04:45 PM   #25
itshim
itshim is on a distinguished road

Default Making the Pitch.

.......Heard in the Denso board room: How can we sell these tricked out sparkplugs? .......Well we have to make em from some exotic sounding metal.......platinuim is sooo passe these days. But cars run 100K miles with the OEM plugs! .........groove an electrode, tell em "superior engineering". But does it provide a benifit to the car owner? .......Well we are the good feeling aftermarket company, got to get these guys changing their plugs before nessesary. Say stuff on the box like "improves mileage" and "smoother running".............Yeah, that will work! We can make our yaht and vacation condo payments and they get to skin knuckles. I love marketing!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to itshim's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help itshim reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
itshim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 07:13 AM   #26
cverstij
cverstij is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XR
2008 VUE 3.5L
Default Re: Making the Pitch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by itshim View Post
.......Heard in the Denso board room: How can we sell these tricked out sparkplugs? .......Well we have to make em from some exotic sounding metal.......platinuim is sooo passe these days. But cars run 100K miles with the OEM plugs! .........groove an electrode, tell em "superior engineering". But does it provide a benifit to the car owner? .......Well we are the good feeling aftermarket company, got to get these guys changing their plugs before nessesary. Say stuff on the box like "improves mileage" and "smoother running".............Yeah, that will work! We can make our yaht and vacation condo payments and they get to skin knuckles. I love marketing!

Everybody's a comedian...................

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cverstij's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cverstij reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cverstij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 08:14 PM   #27
Aura2008
Aura2008 is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XR
2000 SL2
Devil Re: Changing the spark plugs

It seems we have entered a discussion on plugs saving gas and other add-ons doing the same. In 1971 my friend complained about poor gas mileage on his big 8 cylinder Ford. He was going to buy these super spark plugs and increase his gas mileage 15 percent. I took the JC Whitney catalog and indicated a number of things he should buy. These included super plugs, better air filter, fuel pressure regulator, etc... I gave him back the catalog and told him to order these things and the total fuel consumption issue would disappear as he would save 124 percent on gas. That's what is the companies claims were when added together.

I told him he would have to drain gas from his tank once a week.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Aura2008's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Aura2008 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Aura2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 05:20 PM   #28
itshim
itshim is on a distinguished road

Default always interested.....IN SAVING!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aura2008 View Post
It seems we have entered a discussion on plugs saving gas and other add-ons doing the same. In 1971 my friend complained about poor gas mileage on his big 8 cylinder Ford. He was going to buy these super spark plugs and increase his gas mileage 15 percent. I took the JC Whitney catalog and indicated a number of things he should buy. These included super plugs, better air filter, fuel pressure regulator, etc... I gave him back the catalog and told him to order these things and the total fuel consumption issue would disappear as he would save 124 percent on gas. That's what is the companies claims were when added together.

I told him he would have to drain gas from his tank once a week.
..............Hey AURA2008,...........can U send me the JC Whitney catalog? I'll need a syphon devise to clean out my gas tank!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to itshim's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help itshim reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
itshim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 10:21 AM   #29
agksoe
agksoe is on a distinguished road

Drive a 98 SL2 and you'd fall in love with it changing plugs. I also love my other car (94 Dodge Intrepid) when it's time to change plugs

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to agksoe's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help agksoe reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
agksoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 10:31 AM   #30
agksoe
agksoe is on a distinguished road

Almost everybody opposed the idea of putting platinums in 98 SL2. I went ahead and put Bosch Platinums. It was a few years ago. I do not run into any problem with them so far.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to agksoe's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help agksoe reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
agksoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 11:03 AM   #31
BobbyP
Master Member
BobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really nice

2006 VUE Red Line
2007 SKY

Quote:
Originally Posted by agksoe View Post
Almost everybody opposed the idea of putting platinum's in 98 SL2. I went ahead and put Bosch Platinum's. It was a few years ago. I do not run into any problem with them so far.
The Bosch Platinum +4 plugs worked very well in my SC. There wasn't a plug my SC did not like.

2006 Black VUE Red Line - Now running iOS 7 Beta 7

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BobbyP's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BobbyP reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BobbyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 04:48 PM   #32
CT Aura XR
CT Aura XR is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XR

Tips for Changing 3.6L Rear Plugs

General Tips: My 2007 XR had 83,000 miles on it when I changed the plugs. OEM plug was AC Delco HR8NPP302 - 2 had gaps of .060, 4 had gaps of .055 when removed, (owners manual says recommended gap is .044). All plugs were seized(cold engine, 75 degrees ambient temp)! So, plan on removing all the coils first and then let the plugs soak in penetrating oil for 2-6 hours if your car has been used a bit. Practice on the fronts before you go to the rear. Plan on 6-8 hours clock time with about 2 hours of labor for all 6. Don’t try this unless you have a variety of socket extenders ranging from 4 to 5 ¾ inches. My plug socket was 2 ½” deep.

1) Remove Engine Cover

2) At the left back side of the manifold you will see an assembly (with a green check cap on it) mounted to a bracket. Slide the assembly to the left to remove it from the bracket, then remove the bracket (10mm)

3) Detach the electrical connector to the assembly mentioned in step 2. I used a small screwdriver to open the flap on the connector lock. Be careful, it looks like it could break easily.

4) Remove the 2 nuts holding the coolant recovery tank. I also detached the hose on the top and rotated it upwards to it wouldn’t leak. Llift the tank off its brackets - it is still attached on the bottom so slide it to the right and rest it near the brake fluid reservoir. Once you lift it you will see how the hose on the bottom is attached and know how much you can move it.

5) Note the 2 vacuum lines mounted on the right side of the manifold. The one on the right will be removed at the manifold. Examine the plastic clamping mechanism and push the clamp about 15 degrees to give you enough play to slide the hose from the manifold. The hose on the left will be removed from the lower right side of the engine where it is attached with the same type of clamp. Slide it off the connector there and rotate it out of the way.

6) You should now have enough slack in the hoses to move them enough to access the coils and remove them and the plugs. CAUTION: Be mindful that you have slack but that not all the hoses – especially fuel lines - were loosened. Be careful how you thread the tools and don’t overstress connectors and hoses.

For the right rear(hardest to access): To remove the coil you will have to lift up about 1”, rotate it 90 degrees counterclockwise to allow the assembly to be extracted without being blocked by the intake manifold). When you bring it up about 3” more, tilt the coil to the center, not to the right for easier removal. You may also have to rotate it again to clear the manifold.

I used an extender on my spark plug socket that was 4 ¾” long. A 4” extender might work a bit better, 5 3/4” is too long and will impact the manifold before the plug is out.. I strongly recommend duct-taping the extender to the spark plug socket – you don’t want to lose the socket in an inaccessible hole!. Test your taping technique when you do the front plugs(although you need a longer 5-6” extender on the fronts) Also, I put the socket-extender assembly in the hole before attaching the wrench. You will need a wrench with a handle that can rotate in the space you cleared when you removed the coolant recovery tank(step 6).

Left and center rear

I used a 5 ¾” extender(actual length) with my 2 ½” plug socket and found that I could thread it through the hoses into the plug ports for these and still have room to move the wrench.

Since this process if so labor intensive I’d recommend getting the longest lasting plug you can buy.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to CT Aura XR's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help CT Aura XR reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
CT Aura XR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 05:00 PM   #33
CT Aura XR
CT Aura XR is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XR
Default Bosh Platinum + 4 Not Available for Aura 3.6L Engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyP View Post
The Bosch Platinum +4 plugs worked very well in my SC. There wasn't a plug my SC did not like.
Unfortunately, these are not available for the Aura's 3.6 as of 9/2010.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to CT Aura XR's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help CT Aura XR reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
CT Aura XR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 07:25 PM   #34
99SL2_Modder
99SL2_Modder is on a distinguished road

2009 AURA XR

The stock aura 3.6 uses double platinum 100k mile plugs.

Iridium is probably superior in that they have far less resistance than a platinum, requiring less to fire, and thus having a better burn, which could cause better fuel economy and less ping. If the system is putting out the power to push platinums, however, then you might create hots-potting.

Also, stock S-series Saturns used NGK's. A far superior plug than any aftermarket one I ever found. I would never put a platinum in an S. Every aftermarket plug I found had incorrect reach and fired poorly. I just spent the money on the NGK's and it fired perfect every time.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 99SL2_Modder's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 99SL2_Modder reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
99SL2_Modder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 09:51 AM   #35
CrucialTK
CrucialTK is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbird View Post
Do you not just undo the top engine mount and rotate the engine forward with a block of wood like you do with the older 3.4L and 3.5L V6's?
Can I bump this? I just rolled 100k on my 2008 and would like to do the plugs myself (have done them on prior FWD vehicles). I've been told its possible to roll the engine forward to make it easier, but would like confirmation.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to CrucialTK's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help CrucialTK reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
CrucialTK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 07:48 PM   #36
carlover
carlover is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XR

NGK makes platinum and irridium plugs. They are very high quality and come pre-gapped - I wouldn't use any thing else. If you shop around I think you can find the irridiums for under $8 each. The platinums are about half that, I think.
c

Drive like you mean it, keep the rubber side down.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to carlover's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help carlover reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
carlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 06:23 PM   #37
carlover
carlover is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlover View Post
NGK makes platinum and irridium plugs. They are very high quality and come pre-gapped - I wouldn't use any thing else. If you shop around I think you can find the irridiums for under $8 each. The platinums are about half that, I think.
c
Meant to add that you can buy socket/swivel/extension combos that eliminate the possibility of leaving the socket on the plug. I think I got mine at Kragen. I would not trust the taping technique - too risky and you will hate yourself if it happens on the rear bank.
c

Drive like you mean it, keep the rubber side down.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to carlover's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help carlover reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
carlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 09:43 PM   #38
johnsoned
johnsoned is on a distinguished road

2009 AURA XE

One of the posts on this forum, in giving a detailed description of changing the spark plugs, instructs you to remove engine cover and then goes on to tell you the rest of the procedure in intricate detail. Can someone give me detailed instructions on how to remove the engine cover. I have a 2009 Saturn Aura XE w/2.4L engine. I changed the oil today and originally thought that I would need to take the cover off. After spending 20min attempting to do so, I realized that I could change the oil with out removing the cover. I would still like to know, for further reference, how to get that cover off.

Thanks
Ed J.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to johnsoned's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help johnsoned reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
johnsoned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 09:53 PM   #39
Matt V
Matt V is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XR

CT Aura XR,

Thanks for the detailed description. I changed my plugs today @104,000 miles. It took me a total of 3-1/2 hours.

Your tips were spot on.

2012 Grand Cherokee Laredo X HEMI
2008 Aura XR

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Matt V's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Matt V reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Matt V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 08:59 AM   #40
whiteshadow
whiteshadow is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt V View Post
CT Aura XR,

Thanks for the detailed description. I changed my plugs today @104,000 miles. It took me a total of 3-1/2 hours.

Your tips were spot on.
good thing my 07 aura xr only has 52k miles on it. i still have many happy miles before i have to worry about the plugs!

07 aura xr
98 explorer 5.0
93 miata, not stock
77 f150

im not nice

number of times ban.T

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to whiteshadow's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help whiteshadow reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
whiteshadow is offline   Reply With Quote