SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-11-2010, 07:39 PM   #41
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2
Default Re: Beautiful little car...but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Gray View Post
I feel like I came back home after a week out of town and a whole new family's moved into my house. And my car's gone, too.
[voice="Majel Barrett"]Warning: your thread has been hijacked.[/voice]

BTW, those are aluminum alloy wheels.

If your top engine mount is aftermarket, and is of the "frowny" design (search here for "frowny mount" for more info; no kidding), it's probably the major cause of your vibration. Try to get an OEM mount, or if you go aftermarket, look inside the box and make sure it's the "solid" design.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-11-2010, 07:44 PM   #42
off-track
Master Member
off-track has a spectacular aura aboutoff-track has a spectacular aura aboutoff-track has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by alordofchaos View Post
...and Kitt was the Mustang in a bad one-season show
I sure HOPE you meant to format that comment in green?

Silver Gray.. look'n good. Those wheels really set it off! Change your TAM.

edit:.. ha Mad, we crossed yet again!

1997 - SL2, barebones, 161k, Auto - Rebuild complete and.. burnt a valve 20k later Arrgh!
Purchased 114k 10/07
Added OEM CC

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to off-track's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help off-track reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
off-track is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 07:48 PM   #43
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by off-track View Post
edit:.. ha Mad, we crossed yet again!
'Sokay; you were busy training for tomorrow's Ironman, right?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-11-2010, 08:12 PM   #44
off-track
Master Member
off-track has a spectacular aura aboutoff-track has a spectacular aura aboutoff-track has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by madpogue View Post
'Sokay; you were busy training for tomorrow's Ironman, right?
LOL! Well, that isn't happening for sure!

1997 - SL2, barebones, 161k, Auto - Rebuild complete and.. burnt a valve 20k later Arrgh!
Purchased 114k 10/07
Added OEM CC

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to off-track's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help off-track reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
off-track is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 09:59 PM   #45
Silver Gray
Silver Gray is on a distinguished road

2001 SL2

Quote:
[voice="Majel Barrett"]Warning: your thread has been hijacked.[/voice]BTW, those are aluminum alloy wheels.
[voice="Majel Barrett"]Affirmative. Irrelevant information has been of interest nonetheless. Existing data bank did not contain specific information regarding specific material of wheels—new data from madpogue has been recorded and duly annotated as much appreciated. Assumption had been made that regardless of elements involved, the surface of aesthetically appealing wheels did and would not readily stain or oxidize.[/voice]

Quote:
If your top engine mount is aftermarket, and is of the "frowny" design (search here for "frowny mount" for more info; no kidding), it's probably the major cause of your vibration. Try to get an OEM mount, or if you go aftermarket, look inside the box and make sure it's the "solid" design.
Still a complex problem (as is my whole life). The new top engine mount IS aftermarket, but it is ALSO a SOLID style mount.

So now, I have two issues to decide:

1. Go back to Chevy dealer (the only supplier in my region of Saturn OEM mounts) and have the new aftermarket top mount replaced with a new OEM (with no guarantee of vibration improvement).

2. Go back to Chevy or local (long-term reliable) mechanic in order to check transaxle bracket adjustment as per madpogue's first recommendation.

Just look at this beautiful car! (See my previous post.) I know y'all have got to understand why I (though of limited technological know-how) want to get this fixed! Many thanks for your advice!

SG

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Silver Gray's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Silver Gray reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Silver Gray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 12:21 PM   #46
madpogue

1996 SW2

Start with #2 (the bracket loosen/tighten), as you should do this after any mount work. This is something you can do in the driveway, if you have ramps. You might even be able to reach under there with the car on the ground. If the vibration persists, _then_ look into an OEM or OEM-style top mount. This is also something you can do in the driveway; you can support the engine with the emergency jack in the trunk, if you can't get your mitts on a floor jack.

Yeah, beautiful car in a beautiful setting. Def. worth solving the vibration issue, esp. when the alternative is a crippling car payment every month.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-12-2010, 06:11 PM   #47
Silver Gray

2001 SL2

Quote:
Start with #2 (the bracket loosen/tighten), as you should do this after any mount work. This is something you can do in the driveway, if you have ramps. You might even be able to reach under there with the car on the ground. If the vibration persists, _then_ look into an OEM or OEM-style top mount. This is also something you can do in the driveway; you can support the engine with the emergency jack in the trunk, if you can't get your mitts on a floor jack.
Many thanks, madpogue! You have given me a prioritized plan that relieves my real stress of "what next?". Bracket, then if no help, OEM top mount. Got it.

Quote:
Yeah, beautiful car in a beautiful setting. Def. worth solving the vibration issue, esp. when the alternative is a crippling car payment every month.
Got that right! No payments but insurance on this one.

Thanks again,

SG

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Silver Gray reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-03-2010, 06:18 PM   #48
Silver Gray

2001 SL2

I've completely loosened and retorqued the bracket three times now (right to 37), with the car at different angles. And each time, the vibration when stopped in drive is unimproved.

I know the engineering is supposed to be the same, but there's got to be something very different between my 1995 and my 2001. My '95 was always smooth and silent at a stop light, but this '01 vibrates like a 110V massage chair on 220, no matter what I do. The engine checks out in great shape - all new wiring, plugs, good compression test, new serpentine belt, the works. I even lowered the transmission fluid level as was suggested.

And now I find to my surprise that when the Chevy dealer replaced my transmission mount, they also installed a new "frowny" mount on top, replacing my new solid aftermarket mount (which was really stiff), without even telling me or charging me for it. It doesn't make any difference in the vibration, so what the hey.

Sincere thanks to everyone for your clear and appreciated suggestions, especially to Madpogue.

But I'm giving up. Too much work and money for no change whatsoever. I'll just keep on slipping it into N at stop lights until I can afford an electric car.

SG

REWARD EXCELLENCE!