SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-19-2010, 02:24 PM   #1
jstangrun
jstangrun is on a distinguished road

Default Problem with start the car

my lady friends recently had her faceplace stolen off of her 1998 S line Saturn series (I believe that's correct). Last night she deiced to buy a whole new deck from target and then her and her female roommate could just put it in. Long story short the car won't start now. and it's hard for me to have a opinion on the matter due to the fact that i don't have knowledge of what occur or what is going on. So im hoping to get some advice on the matter. But here are the facts as of this morning.

1. The car won't start but the battery will click when the key is turn. I also tried to jump the car overall but that did not help at all. the lights and the fans still work.
2. I checked the fuses for the ignition but they all checked out as being okay.
3.when you press the unlock button on the drivers side door the car will lock instead of unlocking. not sure about the passenagers side of the car.
4. i tried to disconnect the battery to reset the computer system.
5. the new deck is connect using all the wires but also will not work

Im going up to a cabin today so i can't check the car more but on sunday i will taking a battery tester to see if the battery is good or not. Something that could be the problem is the saturn security system. They did not disconnect the battery when they started to work on the car.
So if anyone has any input i would greatly enjoy hearing it.

Thank you!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jstangrun's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jstangrun reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jstangrun is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-19-2010, 05:11 PM   #2
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2
Default Re: Problem with start the car

First, decommission the radio. We can get back to its proper installation later, once the no-start is addressed. It's possible the radio installation has blown a fuse somewhere, or done some electrical damage that has disabled the starter circuit.

With the radio decommissioned, check EVERY fuse in BOTH fuse boxes. Esp. check the big "maxifuses" in the underhood fuse box.

The battery can't click. It's just a chemical store of electrical energy. But it is important to know where the click is coming from. Is it coming from under the dash, or under the hood?

As for the power locks, that could be a faulty switch on the driver's door; they're notorious for failing due to wear. For the time being, remove the LOCKS fuse. It's possible the power locks are constantly energized, draining the battery. Once again, once we've resolved the no-start, we can address this as a separate issue.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 09:25 AM   #3
abakeman
abakeman is on a distinguished road

I am the lady friend referred to in the first post. I decommissioned the radio, removed the LOCKS fuse, and checked all of the fuses, which all seem to be good. The maxifuses are the big 30 amp fuses, correct? (I assume so, because all of the other fuses are significantly smaller)

Also, the clicking is coming from the dash, not the hood as far as I can tell. The car is still doing the same thing where all the lights and everything work, but the engine won't start. Is it possible that the battery is dead?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to abakeman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help abakeman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
abakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 10:00 AM   #4
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Yes, the battery may be dead and a voltmeter can be used to measure battery voltage. There's also the possibility that your keyless remote disabled the starting circuit; '98's have the basic starter interrupt circuit that disables the starter from operating as a basic theft deterrent device. A relay under the driver side dash is used to disable the starting circuit and sometimes hangs up, preventing a start. The remote must be used to Unlock the doors as it simultaneously enables the starting relay to allow starting. Once the remote unlock button is pressed the relay becomes energized to allow starting. Rap the relay once or twice to help the internal contacts connect and try starting again. Either the battery is dead or this relay is preventing starting. A partially dead battery will make the starter relay (the large one on the starter itself) click loudly while not having enough power to run the starter motor.

Check the battery and battery cable connections to be sure they are in good condition. Normal battery voltage will be around 12.5v. Lights do nothing to prove a dead battery as starters use anywhere from 50-150amps of current to run a starter. Lights use less than 10amps and don't demonstrate battery capacity to run a starter.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 12:50 PM   #5
blade1981m
blade1981m is on a distinguished road

This sounds like the exact same problem I had with my car and I know this may seem like an unusual solution, but I found the problem was the horn fuse. I found it had blown and so I replaced it and my car started again. I took the fuse out and the car wouldnt start. I put it back in and it started again.

It wouldnt hurt to check. The fuse is behind the panel by the passengers left leg.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to blade1981m's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help blade1981m reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
blade1981m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 02:09 PM   #6
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

The horn fuse is in the under-hood fuse box. And unless you have a serious underlying electrical problem, there's no way it can cause a no-start.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-21-2010, 07:33 PM   #7
guitar_stitch
guitar_stitch will become famous soon enough

1996 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
'98's have the basic starter interrupt circuit that disables the starter from operating as a basic theft deterrent device.
I thought it killed the fuel pump? I seem to remember locking my car with the fob, then losing the fob. The engine would turn over, but no fire until I was able to disable the fob.

Oh good. My Dog found the Chainsaw.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to guitar_stitch's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help guitar_stitch reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
guitar_stitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 08:09 PM   #8
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Nope. According to the wiring diagram, this starter interrupt is strictly in the starting circuit. No fuel disable wiring involved. If I'm not mistaken the '98 is the second generation(?) Saturn that acquired the beginnings of theft deterrent systems. The L-series became the third generation inheriting GM's Passlock theft deterrent system that does disable the fuel pump.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 08:10 PM   #9
madpogue

1996 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitar_stitch View Post
I thought it killed the fuel pump? I seem to remember locking my car with the fob, then losing the fob. The engine would turn over, but no fire until I was able to disable the fob.
Aftermarket, maybe. But the fuel pump / security interface didn't come in until 2000, gen-3.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-22-2010, 08:51 AM   #10
blade1981m

Yup, I have absolutely no idea how the fuse for the horn could possibly cause this. Nor do any of my 4 mechanic friends. But as I said, we confirmed this by taking the fuse out completely and then all 3 of these problems happened again. We put the fuse back in and it worked.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help blade1981m reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-22-2010, 11:03 AM   #11
madpogue

1996 SW2

But whatever fuse you removed was NOT the horn fuse, since the horn fuse is under the hood.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-24-2010, 02:02 PM   #12
blade1981m

hmm, perhaps you are correct. The fuse is labelled chime fuse on the panel, i just assumed it was the horn fuse as thats what I was looking for and chime was the closest thing I could find to what I could relate to a horn. When I was first working on the car I didnt know there was another fuse box under the hood.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-26-2010, 11:02 PM   #13
madpogue

1996 SW2

That's the CHIME fuse. It energizes the CHIME module (and, somewhat inexplicably, in the '97-'99 cars, the starter relay). It has nothing to do with the horn. The horn fuse is, expectedly, marked HORN.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!