SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Outlook > Outlook General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-04-2010, 01:16 PM   #1
MMarlin
MMarlin is on a distinguished road

2007 Outlook XR
2003 VUE 3.0L
Default VIN # mixup

Took the Outlook up to Reichard Buick/GMC this morning for the persistant water leak as well as a continuing issue with the "traction control/stabalink" message.

While there the service manager pulled up the "repair/warranty work" history report on our car based on the VIN# which listed us as the owners and such.

He was reviewing it and out of the blue asked "did we have the engine replaced in July 2009? I said WHAT????? UHHH NOPE!!! The only engine work performed on our 07 Outlook was what they did last month....timing chain/crank shaft replacement.

Well shucks and damn if there isn't an entry posted by a Saturn dealership which was located in Knoxville, Tennessee the last week of July 2009. They reported a total replacement of the engine and the mileage reported was 34,040 miles.

HUMMMM nope our car only has, as of this morning, 29,021 miles on it and have NEVER been to the Knoxville dealership.

So here are my questions to you guys?

1. Have you ever heard of this happening before?
2. Could someone in Knoxville replaced a "friend" engine and found a vehicle matching theirs to charge the engine back to GM on?
3. Or could there just be an innocent mixup?

The service manager is contacting GM today to get this mystery straightened out and get it cleared from the "history" reporting of our Outlook.

He and I are thinking that this is a "friend" needing an engine my husband thinks it is just a mixup.

Kind of odd because you would think that they would know the difference in the names on the initial work order and the final order printed out to be signed.

The mystery deepens as well as the crap of getting the water leaks/traction control issues FIXED!

2003 Red VUE - LOVE IT!
2007 Silver Outlook - SIGHHH! Traded 2/11 for a 2011 Enclave
2005 Gray Nissan 350Z - FUN FUN FUN warm weather only with the top down

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MMarlin's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MMarlin reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
MMarlin is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-04-2010, 02:34 PM   #2
onefunkar
Master Member
onefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the rough

2008 Outlook XR
2007 AURA XR
Default Re: VIN # mixup

could be a mistake or dealer trying to cheat gm. either way now your problem will be possible resale problems because of car fax reports which will say that your mileage has been set back.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to onefunkar's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help onefunkar reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
onefunkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 04:51 PM   #3
MMarlin

2007 Outlook XR
2003 VUE 3.0L

Quote:
Originally Posted by onefunkar View Post
could be a mistake or dealer trying to cheat gm. either way now your problem will be possible resale problems because of car fax reports which will say that your mileage has been set back.
WOW thanks for your response I never gave that a thought.

Although we do have "OnStar" and every month I receive updates on the status of the Ourlook, including mileage. The mileage that is reported through OnStar is exactly what is on our car.

I think this may save the day, hopefully that is.

Heard from Reichard Buick/GMC/Saturn service about an hour ago and they have not heard back from the GM Zone representative concerning this issue.

Hopefully it was just a mistake otherwise this could just be the tip of the iceburg as to if other dealers have "scammed" GM in this manner.

Like I said many times before I keep track of what is going on with all three of our cars. I make the service appointments and I have files on every car we have owned, even those we have traded in (perhaps I need to clear out the filing cabinet).

2003 Red VUE - LOVE IT!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help MMarlin reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-06-2010, 07:48 AM   #4
ARECCE
ARECCE is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by onefunkar View Post
You do realize Carfax is only as correct as the information provided. And it is not free. Someone pays for it. It could be something as simple as a facility typed in the wrong VIN when the Service Order was written up.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ARECCE's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ARECCE reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ARECCE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 08:33 AM   #5
MMarlin

2007 Outlook XR
2003 VUE 3.0L

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARECCE View Post
You do realize Carfax is only as correct as the information provided. And it is not free. Someone pays for it. It could be something as simple as a facility typed in the wrong VIN when the Service Order was written up.
That is a thought yet when I drop my car off at a dealership for work the tech always goes out and gets the VIN#. Then they enter it into their workstation computer and I have always been asked...name...address. So if the NAME/ADDRESS doesn't agree you would think the next question would be....who are you and where do you live?

Guess I am looking on the devious side as is the service manager at Reichard which is why we both are axious to hear from the GM Zone person.

Although I am seriously considering asking Reichard to call the Knoxville dealer and requesting a copy of the SIGNED work order faxed just to see who signed the work order.

Definitely know it was not me or my husband.

2003 Red VUE - LOVE IT!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-06-2010, 09:28 AM   #6
outlookowner
outlookowner is on a distinguished road

2007 Outlook XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMarlin View Post
That is a thought yet when I drop my car off at a dealership for work the tech always goes out and gets the VIN#. Then they enter it into their workstation computer and I have always been asked...name...address. So if the NAME/ADDRESS doesn't agree you would think the next question would be....who are you and where do you live?

Guess I am looking on the devious side as is the service manager at Reichard which is why we both are axious to hear from the GM Zone person.

Although I am seriously considering asking Reichard to call the Knoxville dealer and requesting a copy of the SIGNED work order faxed just to see who signed the work order.

Definitely know it was not me or my husband.
Doesn't the VIN contain a check digit that is supposed to catch data entry mistakes?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to outlookowner's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help outlookowner reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
outlookowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 10:17 AM   #7
onefunkar
Master Member
onefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the rough

2008 Outlook XR
2007 AURA XR

it only tells you if it is an invalid vin number. wont tell you if you used a vin number from a different car

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to onefunkar's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help onefunkar reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
onefunkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 03:52 PM   #8
MMarlin

2007 Outlook XR
2003 VUE 3.0L

GM zone still has not replied back to Reichard concerning the "VIN#" being used by a dealer in Knoxville.

So I decided to call Saturn of Knoxville myself and after I explained why I was calling and gave him the last "eight numbers" of the VIN# I was asked if:

1. Did I buy the car used......NOPE IT HAD 8 MILES ON IT WHEN WE DROVE IT OFF THE SHOW ROOM FLOOR
2. Did we have thte car in their dealership for repair at anytim....NOPE I LIVE IN CENTERVILLE, OHIO SO DRIVING ALMOST SIX HOURS FOR REPAIR IS
3. How many miles do I have on the car.....JUST OVER 29000
4. Are you sure of the miles......HECK YES
5. What color is your Outlook....SILVER

So he puts me on hold and must be fussing around looking for the work order. Then he comes back and:

6. Can I have your phone number and call you right back....WAITING WAITING WAITING FOR THAT CALL BACK

2003 Red VUE - LOVE IT!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-06-2010, 04:24 PM   #9
MMarlin

2007 Outlook XR
2003 VUE 3.0L

WOW I just hung up the phone with "Mark" of "Saturn of Knoxville" which is now "Cadillac of Knoxville".

He said that it looks like one of their "techs" entered a number wrong when they did the engine replacement for SOMEONE?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA sorry but I think it had to be more than just one number, okay that is my opinion.

We talked for a couple minutes before I asked him if he could pull out the "signed job order" and see whose name is signed on the work order.

WELL......he didn't know what good that would do...like DUHHH..it could give a name of one of their ACTUAL CUSTOMERS! Starting to sound like an inside job to me....okay I am just being pissy.

Then I said that I really needed to have the repair order removed from my cars history. After all I DID NOT have an engine replaced and it doesn't look good showing as one was replaced.

He said he would call me back.....WAITING WAITING...okay if I don't hear back by "high noon" Monday I will give him a ringy-dingy.

WHEW what a dramatic week!!

Have a great weekend folks because I am heading out to dinner.....I hear a couple "cosmos's" calling me.

2003 Red VUE - LOVE IT!

Last edited by MMarlin; 08-06-2010 at 04:30 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!